Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 5spd/air 244k, this is a Ohio car, so salt gets to anything metal.

in the last year went from getting 57mpg with air on, to 33mpg and unable to run air, because you loose speed...

check engine light was on, CKP (replaced) and still coming on when i drive it cold .It did stay off for a week after replacing. Low threshold 420 came on, so I ran cataclean through it, it turned off the CEL, then started running worse. It dropped from 38 to 30-36 and unable to get off in first gear.

I cannot build ima, and almost impossible to get moving in first gear with out double clutching and slipping it. Going up big hits, Ha, start at 45 in 2nd and end up in 1st at 22 by the top. talks 1/4 mile to get up to 35, 1/2 mile + to 60
Starting in 1st gear feels like starting off in 3rd gear.

I went to pull the primary converter and the nuts are rusted solid to the flange.
I am afraid the 10mm studs will snap off in to the manifold and cost me a motor/head and I don't want to hellacoil it.

Secondly, the car is required to have emission check. But i can get around it....

If I gut the cat ( i loose $85 recycling), am I looking at a low end power issues still? Am I going to regain my mpg that i am loosing..

I thought of trying to back out the studs by welding the nuts on and back em while its hot, but being so small idk how that would work... Ether way the studs are shot and threads rusted off

Any suggestions??????????

EDIT: Secondary cat was completely clogged, primary was good, I think the cataclean, sleared the first cat but clogged the second.... I guess it helped , but screwed me....

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Please put your location in your profile first.
Maybe someone close by will offer to come by and make a visual inspection.
It's probably your second cat that is clogged.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
First thought is when was the last time you gave it a good tune up? When I bought my car it was super sluggish and had trouble making it up hills and had no power. I adjusted valve lifter gap, replaced spark plugs, ran a couple of tanks of injector cleaner, replaced filthy air filter, cleaned EGR plate that was completely clogged. It has so much more power then before even IMA not assisting. Just trying to eliminate possible issues that could contribute to power loss.

As for the rusted nuts try soaking the nuts down with WD40 for a couple of nights and use a torch to put heat on them. Try to just heat the nut if possible to expand just that. Might also try a nut splitter, can get the tool at most auto parts stores. Hope you can get it broken loose without damaging the stud in the head. Heat is the key, you'll twist the stud off without it, well depending on how badly it is rusted it might be to bad off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thought is when was the last time you gave it a good tune up? When I bought my car it was super sluggish and had trouble making it up hills and had no power. I adjusted valve lifter gap, replaced spark plugs, ran a couple of tanks of injector cleaner, replaced filthy air filter, cleaned EGR plate that was completely clogged. It has so much more power then before even IMA not assisting. Just trying to eliminate possible issues that could contribute to power loss.

As for the rusted nuts try soaking the nuts down with WD40 for a couple of nights and use a torch to put heat on them. Try to just heat the nut if possible to expand just that. Might also try a nut splitter, can get the tool at most auto parts stores. Hope you can get it broken loose without damaging the stud in the head. Heat is the key, you'll twist the stud off without it, well depending on how badly it is rusted it might be to bad off.

Located in Cleveland Ohio
new IMA in late 2010
new B plugs 2011
cleaned egr plate mid 2011(bucking, but was fairly clean)
SemiSolid mount mod 2011
ran injector cleaner a month ago

today temp was 60 and it wasn't to bad, but I did get video, ill try to load it tomorrow.
I did replace the bolts between first and second cat last year, i can try to unbolt it and see if it makes a difference. At least it'll confirm if its the first or second cat.

Last summer it ran great, actually beat my buddies Prius in a 1 mile uphill climb at mammoth cave lol. Now he leaves me in the dust ugh

·
Registered
737 Posts
EGR valve maybe?

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
"PB Blaster" is an excellent rust buster penetrant. We use it at the steam plant for heat stressed/rusted fittings.

Also: check out under Modifications and Tech Issues "ECU Recall" dated 10-20-2007 by meow77, dicussion involves bad cat indication.

..Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"PB Blaster" is an excellent rust buster penetrant. We use it at the steam plant for heat stressed/rusted fittings.

Also: check out under Modifications and Tech Issues "ECU Recall" dated 10-20-2007 by meow77, dicussion involves bad cat indication.

..Bob

I told the honda dealer when i got the IMA to flash the ecu under the recall, they told me there was no such thing.....
I also have a feeling that they caused the issue with the CKP, it started the day after I left honda with the new batterys, only revs to 3500 vtec engagement then fuel cuts when it is cold, restart when its warm and it goes away.....

Here is a video of a full throttle 0-40, ended up having to double clutch to get it going faster.... I have one of trying to get to highway speed when ever it loads

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I'm not seeing anything unusual at 3500rpm. I see you launching at 3000RPM and slipping your clutch at :18 :cringe: but otherwise shifting normally at around 4500rpm or so.

I do see a bunch of missing power but at the same time it looks like your battery is trying to recover from a low state of charge too which can sometimes pull a boatload of power even though the car might be showing 4-5 bars charge.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Maybe.......If you put your location in your profile, someone would come by and assist in the evaluation.

Willie

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Probably a dumb question: How long should a cat last?

I've had previous vehicles for 15+ years with original cat. The one on my G1 looks original.

The only ones I've heard of clogging were on U.S. vehicles taken to countries still using leaded gas.

..Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably a dumb question: How long should a cat last?

I've had previous vehicles for 15+ years with original cat. The one on my G1 looks original.

The only ones I've heard of clogging were on U.S. vehicles taken to countries still using leaded gas.

..Bob
i had a 85 prelude with 595k on it and had the original cat on it. also had a 96 civic with 335k on original cat

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
I have an extra set of cats for sale if you want newer rust free ones.

You might try removing the nuts and studs as a single unit. Weld them together in place and remove with vise grips.

I had one car that was badly rusted and I was able to remove the nut/stud combo on two and remove the nut and than the stud separately on the third. I used vice grips to get the stud out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts