Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-Insight 2 EX
-ECON mode
-40psi
-Carefully acceleration, but keep the traffic float
-Coasting

I got really bad milage in the hilly SF where most are city miles. In the city, I got 30MPG, but I do see it can reach 40MPG while driving highway. Combining City and Highway is around 33MPG. Does anyone share a similar experience?

I am wondering how the 2010 Prius doing? It has a bigger battery for city...

However, the insight is smaller (better to find parking), has a better interior/exterior look, and tight handling.

I wish Honda to improve the insight by:
- making it a plug-in lithium FULL Hybrid
- adding couple more horsepowers for the hills
- putting nicer interior materials

:) maybe it's too much to ask, but I think technology can make it feasible in the future.

:(

·
Registered
605 Posts
-Insight 2 EX
-ECON mode
-40psi
-Carefully acceleration, but keep the traffic float
-Coasting

I got really bad milage in the hilly SF where most are city miles. In the city, I got 30MPG, but I do see it can reach 40MPG while driving highway. Combining City and Highway is around 33MPG. Does anyone share a similar experience?

I am wondering how the 2010 Prius doing? It has a bigger battery for city...

However, the insight is smaller (better to find parking), has a better interior/exterior look, and tight handling.
Looks like we drive in a very similar way, in similar weather conditions, but I'm in a slightly flatter and more suburban driving terrain. See my mpg at Blue Bird (Honda Insight) | Fuelly

I've parked next to a Prius and found that the overall length is almost the same, but the Prius exchanges reduced trunk space for more rear seat leg room.

The Prius gets its best mpg by opperating on battery only at very low speeds (10-20 mph), which would be great in the Market St area. The I2 gets its best mpg in the 35-50 mph range, great for a suburban or rural area.

The I2's better handling, and Honda's record and reputation for low maintainence vehicles are differences that make a difference for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive around the city quite a lot as well. Mileage has been around 35-38 on Econ mode. My Insight gets around 43-45 on the freeways which evens out to about 39-42mpg. I try to drive on smooth streets such as Pine, Bush, Lincoln, Fulton, etc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hills just kill the mpg on my Insight and my Prius. I've seen some people comment on the Prius forum that you get all the energy lost on the uphill run back when you go down the hill, but that is a physical impossibilty (your potential energy may be the same, but you cannot escape the conversion losses). I can well believe that hilly San Francisco would reduce your mileage to what you are seeing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nothing but mountains and steep hills where i live. Yet, if i am gentle on the pedal, drive slowly and take into account all the advice written in this forum on how to save on gas, i can still see 40-45mpg...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont mean to brag, I dont mean to boast but in flat S Florida with 70% city driving I get 44-46 MPG's every single tank with AC on auto set for 74 degrees. I will be driving up to visit a friend in S Carolina next month. I will report back on mileage in the hills are I was told there are quite a few up there. I hope I can still keep the MOG's above 40 on that trip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a trip to LA last week. Here's what I found out:

- 36MPG on Highway I 5 @ 80 MPH
- a little over 40MPG combine driving L.A.
- Weather makes difference

Then I was back to North Cal. We got colder weather and more hills. I think that's the reason why the MPG is so off.

* I also found out when I am approaching to a stiff hill and the battery is not at optimal level, I should shift from D to S, so that the gas engine would stop charging the battery giving out max power to cope with the hill.

·
Registered
389 Posts
^^^I drove to Las Vegas 2 weeks ago. My average MPG throughout the 1,100 mile trip (back and forth) was around 38 mpg. Going up hill on Highway I15 is a pain without the IMA assist. Straight roads and hills are huge impact on the Insight unless you drive slow but that didn't happen for a 9 hour road trip (each way).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Man. I wonder if CA uses a different formulation for their gas than the rest of the country?

If I set the cruse to 75mph, I see 47mpg on mainly level surfaces.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
In Calif. going South always yields better mpg than traveling north. Going west usually shows better mileage than going east.
Speed is also the governing factor as with "Driving Style".
Rush hour traffic at a high rate in Calif. is at 70+.
This will also yield better mileage than no traffic at 70+.
Remember.......Assist is dependant on the "load" on an engine .
Way2Hand uses the correct method for "hill climbing"......In my opinion.

I proved that method on the "comparison run" with 3 other Insighters right after I installed the turbo back in 2003.
"My experience."
The same theory applies to the Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Insight
Willie

·
Registered
605 Posts
Tire pressures might explain the difference between those getting mpg's in the low 40's and those in the high 40's at freeway speeds.

I too shift into 'S' for hill climbing, though I wait for the asst to be used up and "chg" aka foreced regen to begin. The higher rpm seems to help make up for the difference.

·
Registered
605 Posts
All gas in Oregon is 10% ethanol. At the time of the change-over I was checking mpg with every tankful in my old car. With the change, my in-town mpg went down a little, but my highway mpg remained roughly the same.

In near-by Eugene there is a large manufactuer of "kettle chips." The oil used in the making of the chips has been diverted from the garbage to the making of ethanol that is added to gasoline purchased in Oregon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This article is a little dated but my guess is the general nature of what gas is used where probably still holds true:
What is summer-blend gas? - By Sam Schechner - Slate Magazine

The local paper (SJ mercury news) reported that May 1 is the deadline for the summer blend switch-over (don't know if that's Bay Area Air Quality Mgmt District specific or CA general) so I'm looking forward to a mileage comparison soon.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That is good news. I always get better mpg with summer gas. A local station went up 6 cents a gal. yesterday. If the price increase was for the summer gas I wouldn't mind as much.

Thx for article link - I'll check it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
SF 49 Mile Drive Mileage

Did the drive this weekend (Google maps version)- 36.9 mpg (as measured using "trip")

2010 LX, 3000miles, Econ mode, winter blend gas likely, tires ~40psi, 51.7 actual miles (Lincoln construction bypass + got off-track in GG Park), drove a brisk pace versus a fuel-efficient pace, started at Civic Center.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts