Honda Insight Forum banner

35mpg Meter showing 54mpg?

Tags
poor mpg
3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  egads 
#1 ·
Hi All hope your all well,

I've recently just purchased a Honda Insight 2011 EX in UK:confused with just over 27k miles on clock from honda dealership, i bought the car as probably most do for economical reasons, but im becoming a little disheartened with the low MPG returns. i fill up to full tank and reset odometer and at the end of the tank my odometer is showing that im averaging 54mpg, Car is showing ive only gotten just 365 miles on full tank ive worked out im getting on average 35mpg which is a massive difference from 54mpg and in my opinion this is really low.

it seems something is causing me to get poor fuel economy, i did 2 months ago change the air filter which was dirty but not made any difference?

Any suggestions would be great!

#2 ·
Try using the "actual gas" consumed method per tank and see if there is a difference.

#3 ·
other than catching up on routine maintenance .... tires - make sure its a good sneaker and run it a little high - 40lbs or so works good for me ... software - get the car hooked up to a computer and make sure all the updates were done - i think its 3 altogether ... mileage/ima battery - for a 2011 that mileage is low and if its correct indicates the car was probably sitting a bit - this tends to make the battery soft and lazy - with regular use it should improve ... 12v battery - while this wont impact mileage a bad 12v can lead to all sorts of gremlins - make sure its healthy ... habits - fine tune your driving techniques to maximize mpg - read old threads - tons of info available

#4 ·
Could this be the difference between US MPG and Imperial MPG? I don't know how this works with British cars, Imports, etc.

Sam

#5 ·
Owner of a 2009 Insight here. 35 mpg is way to low. 54 mpg (assuming imperial) is what I get when driving carefully.
Then again, driving the Insight efficiently needs training and knowledge. As already said, bump up tyre pressure to 40 or even 45 psi. Going over 45 psi did not give me better fuel economy, but just a worse ride. I stick to 42 to 45 psi.
Accelerate briskly, using the IMA as much as possible. Sounds counterintuitive and having the tiny engine scream at you is strange, but brisk acceleration and then coasting is more efficient than slow acceleration.
Try to avoid braking. Look a mile ahead and adjust your speed before you have to. Braking turns fuel into heat.
Keep it rolling and you will keep it around the 54 mpg easily. My long term average is 55 UK mpg...

#6 ·
Ive got my tires above recommended up to 40 PSI this gives also also more comfortable ride, your probably correct with the car possibly sitting for long periods unused with the low mileage and possibility its been sitting at the dealership on show also however it is winter here i Manchester England, and i heard allot of people talking about how this can have a significant impact on mpg, i have bought a OBD 2 so i want to see what my fuel sensor is reading maybe it may need a clean. others have mentioned spark plugs but i doubht this would be case as car feels smooth and shows no signs of hesitation or rough idle, but there is definitely something going on that i need to pin point.

#7 ·
Its interesting that your all saying to briskly accelerate up to speed but everything on the insight tells you not too, if this is the case should i turn off ECON? i always keep around 50mph mark and always using cruise control even around 28mph and always breaking in advanced,
Also as i mentioned the odd thing is the MPG on display is way off real MPG i heard some people mention it can be a 3-4mpg out but not by that amount.

#8 ·
As has been said, the instant read is just to help teach you how to drive efficiently. It's just a toy. You want to know your MPG, you have to fill the tank, zero out one of the trip meters. and then, at the next refueling, do the division.

You are not the first to report low MPG with a weak IMA battery. Hopefully it can be revived. Most that have been sitting can. Give it some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.