Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2010 Insight on the 9th of April. I filled up on the 19th, and then again on the 4th of March. So the gas milage is better than the Civic that I had...but not by much. If I would of know I would just get 36.4mpg I would of saved the trouble and just stayed with the Civic. The paper on the car said 40 in the city and 44 on Highway. So how is it that I am only getting 36.4. I am not using defrost, heater, or AC. I just used the CD player and have it to pull air from the outside, and have ECON on. I accelerate to the point that it stays green, rather than the angry cyan or dark blue color. My route is about 25 minutes, 20 on Interstate and 5 on city/country roads. I do live in the cold Midwest, but I let my car warm up before driving and don't floor it like I used to get up to speed. I slow down at stop lights, almost glide to a stop. So I doing what other threads say to do, but still can't get up to 40mpg. My tire pressure is at 50psi, so that isn't the issue. One day I did get 44.4mpg when it was 34 degrees outside. Lately though it has been in the 20's for temp. But should that make the much of a difference? :confused:

Any advice on how to get it 40...or more? I have read people getting over 50 which I would love to get one day.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
"Got my Insight 9th April. I filled upon the 19th, then again on the 4th of March."

(Three tanks in one year?)

Willie

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
LOL, gotta love Willie, he's gotten me on a few typo's too. So the car is used, what is your milage on it? How is your battery state most of the time? If it is weak and the car is trying to charge it up alot your milage will suffer.

Also if it is high milage the injectors could be dirty, probably wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of injector cleaner through the next tank. Also check your engine air filter, if it is dirty and clogged it will affect your MPG.

So how fast are you driving on the hwy? Speed is a big killer of MPG, the other big killer is stop signs/lights. Sounds like you've been gleaning the good habbits so we just need to rule out anything with the car.

Yes the cold will hurt you especially during the first few miles of warm up but once it is up to temp it shouldn't hurt you so bad to drop you down in the mid thirties.

PS:: As a former resident of Rapid City where are you at in SD?

·
3,641 Posts
I do live in the cold Midwest, but I let my car warm up before driving and don't floor it like I used to get up to speed.

One day I did get 44.4mpg when it was 34 degrees outside. Lately though it has been in the 20's for temp. But should that make the much of a difference? :confused:

Any advice on how to get it 40...or more? I have read people getting over 50 which I would love to get one day.
Idling (while the car is warming up) is hurting your MPG average. Can you park in a garage overnight? Can you run an extension cord and install a block heater? If not, just let the engine idle for a couple of minutes, then drive it easy until it totally warms up. It takes a little while to sort out the most efficient driving method. And the cold spell can definitely account for 10% or more of MPG loss. Don't worry, your summer numbers will be in the 40s.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mileage is about 23,540. The battery is mainly at 75% or more. Injector cleaner? Is that something specific for Hybrids? Do I pour it in with the gas in the gas tank? I'll check the filter tomorrow. Thanks.

I'm driving between 63-67mph on interstate. Then city 35-45mph.

That's what I was thinking. It's really low for driving nicely. I get all the leafs to light up. But not the dots or second leaf petals.

Good ol' Sioux Falls.

·
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish we had a garage! How nice would that be living in South Dakota. But we rent and landlord doesn't want to build one. I haven't thought of the block heater. How does that work? Is it keeping the battery warm or the engine? I thought I had to run it before driving for the engine to warm up. Thanks Freezin4, I'll see what spring and summer bring. Hoping for 40s like the car is advertised.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Won't that piss people off? If the speed limit is 65 and I'm going 50-55? If it makes for better mpg then screw them, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The mileage is about 23,540. The battery is mainly at 75% or more. Injector cleaner? Is that something specific for Hybrids? Do I pour it in with the gas in the gas tank? I'll check the filter tomorrow. Thanks.

I'm driving between 63-67mph on interstate. Then city 35-45mph.

That's what I was thinking. It's really low for driving nicely. I get all the leafs to light up. But not the dots or second leaf petals.

Good ol' Sioux Falls.
A lot of it is also driving style. 60 is probably the fastest speed you can go and have a good fuel economy. When driving you want to stay at a consistent speed as much as possible. You really want to plan your stopping and moving as much as you can and capitalize on the regenerative brakes by putting very light pressure on the brake pedal for longer distance to slow down and stop. When accelerating you want to accelerate slowly hopefully with very little traffic because honestly most people are hotheads these days. I get passed a lot even in the city. From my experience with the car the only thing really setting it aside from most other cars that are well maintained is that when driven for economy the insight can get much better mileage. When driven like any other car it gets about the same mileage as other cars.

·
3,641 Posts
Slower traffic keep right. Most US interstates have a MINIMUM limit of 40 mph.

I drive a Gen 1 and can get anywhere from 55 mpg to 70, 80 mpg or more. But driving above 60 mph exponentially increases the power requirement to propel the car forward due to wind resistance, hence the lower numbers with increased speed.

It's all about choices. And YMMV :).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of it is also driving style. 60 is probably the fastest speed you can go and have a good fuel economy. When driving you want to stay at a consistent speed as much as possible. You really want to plan your stopping and moving as much as you can and capitalize on the regenerative brakes by putting very light pressure on the brake pedal for longer distance to slow down and stop. When accelerating you want to accelerate slowly hopefully with very little traffic because honestly most people are hotheads these days. I get passed a lot even in the city. From my experience with the car the only thing really setting it aside from most other cars that are well maintained is that when driven for economy the insight can get much better mileage. When driven like any other car it gets about the same mileage as other cars.
Is it harder on the brakes in the longer run to slow down pressing it lightly or go go and then slam? Before this car I did the go go slam. Now I slowly reduce speed. I seem to make people mad when I do that. But I'm trying to improve gas mileage, not make random people happy. It's hard to accelerate slowly and stay in the green. Any advice? I feel the car jerk if too light of pressure and too much it goes angry cyan or blue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slower traffic keep right. Most US interstates have a MINIMUM limit of 40 mph.

I drive a Gen 1 and can get anywhere from 55 mpg to 70, 80 mpg or more. But driving above 60 mph exponentially increases the power requirement to propel the car forward due to wind resistance, hence the lower numbers with increased speed.

It's all about choices. And YMMV :).
70 or 80!?!?! How do I get there? Wow! I'm was trying to get into 40s but if I can get that high that would be even better. I think I will slow down and stay in the right lane. Enjoy the drive home and watch people fly by wasting gas. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You will never get there, freezin4 has a 1st generation Insight, a different animal. Light braking will not hurt the brakes, the actual brakes are not involved at all. When you press on the brake pedal the generator attached to the engine engages and slows down the car, "regenerative braking"
I doubt the injectors are dirty, but I do think "warming it up" is killing your mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
70 or 80!?!?! How do I get there? Wow! I'm was trying to get into 40s but if I can get that high that would be even better. I think I will slow down and stay in the right lane. Enjoy the drive home and watch people fly by wasting gas. :)
As someone else on here said if you press lightly on the brakes it only turns on the regenerative brakes not the friction brakes. Once you get the feel for it you will easily be able to tell the difference.
As far as the speed thing goes simply stick to the right hit cruise and dont let the tailgaters get under your skin.
I live in Massachusetts I am sure the driving here is much like other states but the posted speed on most highways is 65. The average highway speed is between 70 and 75 (sometimes 80) the highway i travel most is only 2 lanes and people end up nearly on my hatchback almost every drive out because i hit the road get up to 60 and hit cruise. I generally average 46 mpg and i have a 2010 insight with 52k miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For my second tank of gas I was really good at keeping the car between 62-65 on the highway and being light on the gas and I hit 48 MPG. For my 4th tank I drove the car mostly in S and had it between 70-75 on the highway, I hit 40MPG for that tank. I find that cruise control helps a lot at getting your MPG up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From my experience with the car the only thing really setting it aside from most other cars that are well maintained is that when driven for economy the insight can get much better mileage. When driven like any other car it gets about the same mileage as other cars.
This last statement [above] is sooo true! I've been driving my 2013 EX here in northern Ohio for the past 2 months and have managed an average 52.1 mpg in that time, but my goal on each and every trip, even if it's just to the grocery and back, is to keep that economy number at least as high as when I left the garage. Yes, mine is garage kept, I try to keep short trips to a bare minimum [can lose up to .4 mpg just getting the first mile away from home], and I'm especially easy on the throttle if I'm fighting a significant headwind or crosswind. The thing is, though, that if I take a single trip of even 10 or 20 miles without exercising due caution, the mpg meter drops precipitously. I too just came out of a Civic, which seemed to get almost the same mpg whether I drove it fast or slow, but the Insight is not the same. The difference between driving it like any other car and paying very close attention to squeezing that fuel is as much as 15 mpg! Btw, I just don't get the concept that if I'm driving 5-8 mph below the highway limit that I'm in grave danger or should feel guilty of impeding other drivers. If I'm driving 58 or 59 in a 65 zone and you don't like it, you can pass [or get a life]. If the roads are clear and dry, allowing other vehicles no excuse for running you over, save your fuel and let them rush as they will. Staying a safe distance behind a large truck is also a very good way to increase highway mileage. I've often realized 10 additional mpg by drafting a semi-truck traveling 66 mph instead of bucking the wind by myself at 60 mph; it's just physics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You will never get there, freezin4 has a 1st generation Insight, a different animal. Light braking will not hurt the brakes, the actual brakes are not involved at all. When you press on the brake pedal the generator attached to the engine engages and slows down the car, "regenerative braking"
I doubt the injectors are dirty, but I do think "warming it up" is killing your mileage.
So warming it up just for a few minutes is the way to go? Then just drive slow until it does warm up?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As someone else on here said if you press lightly on the brakes it only turns on the regenerative brakes not the friction brakes. Once you get the feel for it you will easily be able to tell the difference.
As far as the speed thing goes simply stick to the right hit cruise and dont let the tailgaters get under your skin.
I live in Massachusetts I am sure the driving here is much like other states but the posted speed on most highways is 65. The average highway speed is between 70 and 75 (sometimes 80) the highway i travel most is only 2 lanes and people end up nearly on my hatchback almost every drive out because i hit the road get up to 60 and hit cruise. I generally average 46 mpg and i have a 2010 insight with 52k miles.
Should I still use cruise control if the Interstate is slightly hilly at some points? Will the car be able to keep it in the green? I did cruise control once and it was always the cyan color, and never dipped into the green. So I have tried keeping my foot light, but it has been so windy lately it is hard to do that.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts