Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been kicking around the idea of 360 degree viewing and DVR system for many years now.

1st
The idea came to me even before I had my Insight as a way to better see around corners ... and only have the very front bumper out enough to see past obstacles that block my view from the driver's seat.

2nd
My previous car had someone swerve from the left turn lane .. seemingly trying to hit me .. but thankfully due to my lightning reflexes ;) ... I avoided them entirely ... but they still sued for 'muscle strain' ... even though all of their 'strain' was 100% their own doing ... but I had no evidence ... just my word against theirs.

3rd
A car crossed the double yellow line and hit the corner of my Insight ... my word vs theirs ... cop believed their lies ... and again I had no evidence.

4th
A car runs a stop sign and hits my Insight ... again cop takes their word for it and believes their lies ... I have no evidence again.

5th
A car hit and runs my Insight on the highway .. Cops refuse to even file a report ... and again i have no evidence.

- - - - - -

So this year I bit the bullet ... I had been putting it off for more than 12 years now ... and I've decided to go for it.

I got Cameras , a Screen , a In Car DVR , etc ... and will be wiring it all up this year .. at some point.

It's a bit of a distraction from my on going A123-PHEV mod .. but hopefully not too much of a distraction.

I'll post more details here as the build progresses.

See attached picture of my crude initial plan for camera viewing coverage... Will probably change some over time as the project takes shape... but ... there you go for the first mod concept post. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I dont recall the show, but about time of the tech exploded cnet, Kim Komando, etc had a 360 cam to look at during their show.

I think the newer cars with the self parking feature feature the rear camera as well as a 360 view showing the car, then a camera view of all corners.

Me, I have seen some wide angle cameras and 2 1 positioned at the rear facing forward and one forward facing rear should get you the coverage you want. Ive seen some dash cams that include 2 cameras to cover the front and rear.

At the least you could incorporate some parabolic mirrors in shot of the camera. I got something on top of my rear view mirror called the lane changer. Its a curved mirror that I can look up at and see myself, the back seats, over my shoulder out the side window, over my other shoulder to the rear of the car and rear driver side window plus the rear to front right passenger window. Makes watching a car pass you fun to glance at as he cant hide in the traditional blind spots. :evil:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Subscribed. Though I think the first line of defense is being a well-trained, highly-attentive defensive driver, I've installed crash cameras in my cars. I use OJOCAM cameras with GPS. They are cheap and have excellent full-HD picture quality. If I wasn't so cheap and lazy, I would have put a multi-camera, central DVR system so this will be fun to watch.

There was a guy with a Subaru that did it and documented it many years ago. The guy went all-out. I can't find the page anymore since there is so much noise now on the search engines.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
After my experience with 2 non fault accidents it seems from the powers that be accidents are avoidable. I dont think having a camera to record what happen would of changed anything in my situations.

I just record and post stuff to youtube and the local police dept facebook pages and hope the others get tickets or something from endangering others. :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Front Bumper .. To be able to see around corner side to side aspect will probably be the most day to day used feature... So at the very least those two cameras have to be all weather capable to be able to be fitted into the front bumper as an exterior (in the elements) kind of camera.

I am still considering exact / final locations ... for the cameras , screen for viewing inside , etc.

For the cameras themselves I had 1st considered the 4 corners of the car .. see attached ... but those 4 positions I came up with above produce less 'gaps' , 'blind spots' , etc in the overall field of view around the car... Soo .. although I'm not 'dead set' on it... I am strongly leaning in favor of those 4 locations (seen in the 1st post attachment above) at the moment for the cameras.

For the screen itself I'm considering the interior roof ... I don't want it a bit less visible to people walking by ... and I don't want to block my access to viewing out the regular window .. or cup holders , etc... but still easily viewable and accessible to me as the drivers when I want to be able to see around a corner with the front bumper right and left cameras.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After my experience with 2 non fault accidents it seems from the powers that be accidents are avoidable. I dont think having a camera to record what happen would of changed anything in my situations.

I just record and post stuff to youtube and the local police dept facebook pages and hope the others get tickets or something from endangering others. :evil:
My biggest use is most likely to be the see around corner with front bumper side cameras ... the DVR is an add on.. but won't be the main use.

What you describe might still happen ... but .. some of my instances I think would have come out differently.

The one who crossed a double yellow line ... driving on the wrong side of the road ... when she lied to the cop giving a fictional series of events ... I would have been able to pull out the video .. and have evidence that .. nooo she was not only did what I described ... but she was also lying to the officer.

The one with the hit and run on the highway I would have had a license plate and record of events.

Etc... No guarantees ... but better than nothing ... which my word vs theirs has already bit me more than once.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Its great about seeing around corners. I use to have a reserved spot on an active military base. It was right off the main road. Yes, military and civilian vehicles rolled around 25 mph within feet of my car. :evil: I usually had a big truck, suv or van with no windows beside me, so I couldnt see.

I would wait for someone to make a u turn near me, the vehicle beside me to leave and just creep out til I could see.

I think this arrangement would be easier to view and make sense of where you are looking. The other arrangement would help with corners. In my case I just needed to see to my left as I would pull out to the right.

I position myself when driving like I positioned myself against inner office politics at work. You know, setting up others to be drug under the bus, down the street and into the gutter vs myself. :evil:

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I clicked on the other link, this came up in ebay. It claims to have lane departure and collision warning. I think the gen 3 prius has both, thats a feature I was looking for in the new Fit, but it just shows you the blind spot on the screen. :confused: I wouldnt mind a car or something to help me be more defensive. :)

Boyo Vision VTR17LD Drive Assist DVR Forward Collision Warning System w Blackbox | eBay
That's a good find ... but I couldn't use it for the front bumper around corner view... As a non-weather proof unit , It would have to stay protected .. like inside on the dash.

I think this weekend I'm going to try and bite the bullet and pick a final interior location for the split screen & DVR ... will see how that comes out.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sounds like your driving history is much like mine.

I have a front and rear dash cam (see signature) which has not only already paid for itself in entertainment, but also when I brought some video of a driver who nearly hit me head on going the wrong way on a one way to the police and they said based on the video the driver will be getting a visit.

A good front and rear system isn't too expensive compared to a DVR. So what about two inexpensive cams, one out each rear quarter window? In combination with a front/rear system.

Should be 100% coverage.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A good front and rear system isn't too expensive compared to a DVR. So what about two inexpensive cams, one out each rear quarter window? In combination with a front/rear system.

Should be 100% coverage.
The two rear quarter windows would be viable for interior cameras.

I would still also need the two front bumper cameras in order be able to to the 'see around corner' feature... So that I only have to pull out , just enough for the bumper camera to see right and left.

I don't know how much additional right and left side viewing coverage I would gain to go from 4 cameras (in the locations on the 1st post picture) to 6 cameras to add each rear quarter window ... some additional ... but I don't know if I would gain enough to be worth it... to be able to see all 6 camera angles I would need a 6 way split screen.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I think the bullet style cameras are all banged out of the same factory. Id get one with night vision as some have poor night vision or low light.

Why both front corners? How about the left or mount one on the front license plate facing left? I seldom make any left turns as you are always automatically at fault in that style of an accident. Thats part of my driving style, turn right and let the other guy go first.

I also tap the brakes when someone aggressively passes so they cant get any satisfaction if they wanted to whip a few inches in front of me and slam on the brakes. :evil:

I love it when that is timed with a feeder lane on my right with a car merging and the other guy passes on the left to cut you off. You end up with 2 dummys trying to put their cars in the same real estate in front of me. :evil:

Ive seen standalone dvrs on ebay that use sdcards. I have a setup at home like that because it can be run from batteries in the event of a power failure.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why both front corners?
#1> Because , sometimes I want to make a Left turn ... sometimes I want to make a Right turn.

If I have a camera on the front bumper for each direction .. than I have the option to look in either direction... On a split screen I can look in both opposite directions at the same time... So I can see if it is clear or not either direction.

#2> By having a camera on both Right and Left Side .. than I have 360 degree video coverage for the DVR.

The hit and run that happened to me on the highway was someone who ran into the side of my car ... If I only put a camera on one side ... my luck ... it would be the one side without a camera that got hit... and I would still be without evidence... which is the secondary intent for the system.

- - - - - - -

I've also begun to wonder a bit if the 360 degree view might also let me capture some cool panoramic views .. will have to wait and see how it performs.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Side viewing cameras

Ian: There are prismatic protuberances on the amber sections of the Insight headlights that could be drilled for insertion of tiny waterproof cameras to look sideways and a hole drilled at bottom of headlight would be used for camera leads.

A front facing camera with the proper depth of focus may be able to record the view though the windshield and the"Lanechanger" type rear view mirror suggested by Cobb.

Your problems reminded me of my being rear ended by "Ms Sweetiepie" (not her real name). The NC Highway patrolman who came to investigate commended her driving skills and when he gave her his personal phone number, I knew I was in trouble. It took two years and a team of pricey lawyers to recover partial damages from her insurance company.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
I wouldnt get too upset or spend more than you did for your car on this. Ive seen many cars with just a plate on the front or rear and in some cases the tinted plastic reflector. My dash cam its hard to make out plates at times and photoshop doesnt help.

Its my experience you need to be defensive and zig when they zag.

I wonder how effective one of those camera warning signs would work to alert others you are filming? :)

Better yet, one of those plate scanner systems out in the open for people to see like some of the cops and repo men use. :evil:

The hit and run that happened to me on the highway was someone who ran into the side of my car ... If I only put a camera on one side ... my luck ... it would be the one side without a camera that got hit... and I would still be without evidence... which is the secondary intent for the system.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hugh-Falls said:
Your problems reminded me of my being rear ended by "Ms Sweetiepie"
Exactly .. imagine how much easier and faster that might have gone with video evidence of what actually happened.

Its my experience you need to be defensive and zig when they zag.
Always the best option when possible ... but there are times .. and I've had several already in my life .. that this inadequate.

My zig when that lady zaged ... worked 100% ... I completely 100% missed her car ... She still sued for 'muscle strain' ... even though all of her 'strain' was her own doing when she started at a stop in a left turn lane.

I wonder how effective one of those camera warning signs would work to alert others you are filming? :)
No need to 'warn' others my car might be filming where they have no expectation of privacy to start with ... ie Public roads , public parking lots, etc... We live in a world of Traffic cams , ATM cams, Police cams , Dash Cams , Cell phone cameras, parking lot cameras, etc ... etc... In today's world .. If your car is in public you will have a hard time proving you had a reasonable expectation of privacy .. ie that people wouldn't see what you are doing.

I expect ~99% of the time it will just be used for the primary purpose of better vision around corners with the two front bumper cameras.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Oh, no, I am not making a ACLU case. I was suggesting people would act correct or avoid you if they knew you were filming.

I had an impala rental car that was black with a wing on the back. I added a cb antenna to the trunk and I use to wear a shirt, tie and sunglasses. Amazing how people behaved around me and when I took off from a dead stop had 2 people pull over. :evil:

See Ive notice the cat n mouse games people play on the road. SLow down when you approach, then speed up and match you when you go to pass. An unmarked police car comes up and everyone slows. That shows many do pay attention to their surroundings.

The cops were that helpful in my accident either. Basically 1 told me and the other guy we had to move our cars or they will be moved for us and billed to us. He went back to his car and stayed there. Cop #2 took my license and insurance card as well as the other guys and went back to his car. Cop #3 stayed between us like a bouncer or security guard. The trailer came off the back of a truck crossed me, bounces off the guard rail and hit my passenger front. Cop #2 came back, asked how fast I was going on the ramp I told him 45 as I hit the brakes seeing the trailer. He shook his head, gave me back my stuff plus an accident card and told me I could leave. The tow truck guy was the best one of them all. He told me what happened, the other guy was at fault and ticketed.

No need to 'warn' others my car might be filming where they have no expectation of privacy to start with ...

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was suggesting people would act correct or avoid you if they knew you were filming.
Hadn't thought about that side of it ... but you're probably right .. it would most likely shift the mean. haha ... but do I want a big sign on my car ?? :(

See Ive notice the cat n mouse games people play on the road. SLow down when you approach, then speed up and match you when you go to pass.
Thankfully the crappy A-Hole drivers are a small % of the drivers on the road .. they make a disproportional impact and impression ... but thankfully they are only a tiny %.

The cops were that helpful in my accident either.
It's been my experience cops are ... which may or may not be an accurate sample of all cops everywhere:

#1> Fellow imperfect humans (good and bad)
With all the same kind of faults seen by the rest of my fellow humans around the world (best of humans and worst of humans) .. doing a job that for most is just a job to them.

#2> Peace Officers (good and bad)
They will do or not do what they see as preserving the peace ... Not necessarily enforcing the law... sometimes completely ignoring or violating the laws that have been pass by the legislature.

Even if I get a 'good' cop ... I want evidence to protect myself ... if any of those things happen again.

- - - - - - - -

On a separate note ... got some of the 1st pieces in ... but the 170degree cameras are only showing as about ~100 degree on the screen ... will have to wait for tech support on monday... See if it's an issue with settings , the screen, or the cameras... etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My zig when that lady zaged ... worked 100% ... I completely 100% missed her car ... She still sued for 'muscle strain' ... even though all of her 'strain' was her own doing when she started at a stop in a left turn lane.
I know this a thread about cameras and I hate to add to where it has already gone off-topic but, you have mentioned this twice and it has me baffled. If you didn't hit her, how did she sue you or even know who you were? Did you stop for some other reason?

Maybe it's different here in CA where I've seen people do all sorts of crazy moves. Once the dust settles and everyone is okay, if there is no contact, they just motor on.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know this a thread about cameras and I hate to add to where it has already gone off-topic but, you have mentioned this twice and it has me baffled. If you didn't hit her, how did she sue you or even know who you were? Did you stop for some other reason?

Maybe it's different here in CA where I've seen people do all sorts of crazy moves. Once the dust settles and everyone is okay, if there is no contact, they just motor on.
I stopped in the process of performing the evasion action anyway ... and than exchanged information .. I was raised to check and make sure the other person was ok .. that is also how I knew there was no vehicle to vehicle contact.

- - - - -

See attached. (not to scale)

It's a 2 lane road with a center turn lane ... As I approach (Vehicle B) .. They (Vehicle A) are in the center turn lane .. at a complete stop with their left turn signal flashing.

Than they suddenly and abruptly pull out (near full throttle) making a hard right turn ... I turn hard and brake ... they turned soo hard they were more than half off the road .. I turned even harder ... avoided their vehicle completely ... but that meant I was completely off the road.

Get out .. check to make sure they are ok .. look to confirm no vehicle to vehicle contact... exchange information .. they apologize allot .. soo sorry ... etc .. etc... Than I get sued for the muscle strain they completely caused to themselves .... but I didn't have evidence (like a video) of the event to back up my side .. My insurance company settled (against my wishes) telling me it would cost them more $ to take it to court... but that's one of the secondary reasons for the cameras ... so if it happens again .. I will have evidence.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts