Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am baffled. I have had a recurring problem with milage on my 2000 Insight. I have seen, at the very best, 51.1 mpg. However, it seems to vary wildly. I recently took a trip from Orlando to Miami, averaging between 70-75 mph, and I was getting about 38. Holy crap.

This has happened to me before, where I was getting crummy milage and then all of a sudden (without even stopping the car) it jumped up to over 50.

About 10,000 miles ago, I complained to the dealer (car was still under warr then) that the battery was not holding a charge at all. It would not go over halfway under any circumstances. They told me that normal engine wear would result in decreased milage. I told them that no normal engine wear would decrease milage by over half, unless the engine was about to go!

I checked compression on the car and it was all up to spec. The dealer said nothing was wrong in their diagnostic. Still, I pushed and they replaced the battery (the big one)

Just before this last trip, I noticed on the very inside of my tires that they had worn to the cords. I like to go fast around the corners. Its really a great handling car. Nothing like going around some goon in an import tuner, on the outside of a 2 lane on-ramp! Haha.

Anyway, I had to go with tires that were 10mm wider than stock (175/65r14), and put them on the front of the car, as I couldnt find the stock tire anywhere without waiting a week, and I had to make my drive to Miami that day. I dont think it was the tires because I have seen the same problem before.

What could be causing this terrible milage? And why is it so inconsistent.

It was almost creepy when I got back to Orlando, and reset the trip meter, all of a sudden I jumped back up to about 42...which still sucks.

I certainly have never ever seen 80 mpg in my car for anything but a downhill coast. There are no hills here in Florida to speak of, and it has been very cool lately as well. In fact, on an especially cold day was when I got my best milage in a year. Go figure.

Im baffled here, and the dealer says the car is just fine. Now that its out of warranty(100,000) I am sure they will find the problem.

Can anyone help?

2.68/gal in Orlando :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Since the very inside of your tires wore out to the cords, this uneven tire wear indicates your alignment is out of spec. This can help explain some of your poor mileage. Get an alignment done soon, and make sure you ask for a print out showing what the alignment was before and after they fix it.
And you haven't metioned what tire pressures you use.
Try using 40 or 45 psi (cold) on all tires.

·
Registered
338 Posts
also

have yer bearing checked....may sound silly but that was the cuplrit of uneven wear in mine....

·
Registered
89 Posts
hybridracer said:
I am baffled. I have had a recurring problem with milage on my 2000 Insight. I have seen, at the very best, 51.1 mpg.

Just before this last trip, I noticed on the very inside of my tires that they had worn to the cords. I like to go fast around the corners. Its really a great handling car. Nothing like going around some goon in an import tuner, on the outside of a 2 lane on-ramp! Haha.

Anyway, I had to go with tires that were 10mm wider than stock (175/65r14), and put them on the front of the car, as I couldnt find the stock tire anywhere without waiting a week, and I had to make my drive to Miami that day. I dont think it was the tires because I have seen the same problem before.

What could be causing this terrible milage? And why is it so inconsistent.
Can anyone help?

(
You are right, the car is capable of lots more MPG, if it's a 5-speed.

Try switching back to a LRR tire and pump them up to whatever you are comfortable with.

If it's a stick shift, will it enter lean burn? Let off the gas pedal at about 45-55 mph until you see the iFCD jump to 75-100 mpg. Then lightly press the pedal to hold your speed, while keeping the mpg 's as high as possible. That will give a huge jump in MPG's

Last, it kinda sounds like you are driving aggressively. That will hurt your fuel economy more than any thing else.

Regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I like to drive in a spirited manner. I am sure the tire wear came from working it around the corners. From my racing experience, when cornering on the limit, the inside tire is almost off the ground, and gets a little wheelspin (not that you would notice), and is "cambered" relative to the road, on the inside of the tire. But all those other things are sure something to check of course. But that kind of wear is something I have encountered in a lot of my cars (at least FWD cars)

However, I am removing that from my milage consderations. When I am watching it, I make sure I am on a flat highway and drive realtively conservatively...well 70-75 anyway...which is the highway speed here.

What is an LRR tire?...oh...got it...low rolling resistance. Would that really make that big a difference? I will try pumping them up to check. Even my old LRR tires said 38 psi recomended though...

I bought these other tires, and they would make great full sized spares. Can you recomend a brand. What is the std equip? Mine had Bridgestones on it before. They didnt say LRR on them anywhere.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Jbrashure; it is a 5 speed, because it is a 2000. CVT did not enter the market until 2001.........

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Suggestion: Try driving a segment using every trick you can think of to get the best mileage possible, just to see whether the car is broken. 200 miles should be plenty...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Aggressive cornering only wears out the outside edges of the tires, never the inside edges unless the alignment is out.
Excessive negative camber (not likely) or
excessive toe out will cause premature wear of the inside edges of the tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 38 MPG ???

Your story sounds eerily like mine. In April, 2004, I was tooling along an empty highway when my odometer passed 100,000. Less than an hour later, there was a sudden loss of power. I was running low on gas (just a little more than fumes remained in the tank), so figured that was what the problem was and went to the station and filled the tank.
The attendant was alarmed by the condition of my OEM tires (cord was showing on all) and said that they couldn't in good conscience let me leave. So I got a new set of tires - the same size you put on the front of yours. (My Insight #00-3801 is the same configuration as yours.)
From that moment on, I have had to struggle to hit 50 MPG. I have intermittent surges of standard performance but otherwise I'd get better power if I got out and pushed. I have been to six different dealerships with no satisfaction. One dealer attributed it to my battery pack and was kind enough to replace my perfectly fine pack (out of warranty) with no improvement whatsoever.
Once I made a midnight run to Vegas from LA and on the Long Road at about 0300, I suddenly got the most insane mileage ever: 163 MPG. It ran like the champ it was before that fateful day: solid power, no hesitation, happy-to-be-alive zippy. For the rest of the trip, I ignored my internal plumbing for fear of never being able to start the little beast again should I switch it off for a pit stop and drove straight through.
Started the car in the a.m. and it was back to piss-poor mileage. Since then, I've driven it as is and am unable to get any satisfaction or support from the dealerships or Honda Corporate. Usually it drives okay but it's just not the car it was.
Being thoroughly disgusted, I parked it for about six months. This was after one of the fender skirts fell off after it was 'serviced.' Took it back to the dealer to get the skirt reattached and they don't have the clips.
I'm considering putting OEM tires back on as a last-ditch effort to resurrect the beast-that-can car that is still in that motor somewhere. I'll let you know if it works. In the meantime, I'm contemplating just getting rid of it, sucking up the loss, and going Prius.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
mileage

Two years with the problem, and you never posted your problem on ICN?
With the knowledge base here and the experiences of other Insighters, and maybe even someone meeting with you (wherever you are) to help with a comparasion test would have been the proper and logical solution.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Faith and welcome to the forum.

Have faith :!: ;) There's a good chance it's only the tires :)

See:

Tire Comparison Test
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 38&start=0

Different tires can and will have a greater MPG impact than the 12% measured in the above thread. Past 105K miles the first tune-up was due. That being needed would also detract from the MPG's. And you've gotta use the exact spark plug which _can_ be different for each hole.

After your tire switch if the MPG potential isn't fully restored you should also have the primary O2 sensor checked and replaced if needed.

See:

My 150,000km Insight Review
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3749

for one members _extreme_ difficulty in finding a knowledgeable service shop. But their out there :!: :)

I'd agree Willie. Seems that patience would the more befitting choice in a member name. And that Faith was lost for the last couple of years. Hopefully its now restored. And the increasing fuel prices should help motivate too. ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 38 MPG ???

Why not ??-- is the answer here!?!? :lol:
I was still loitering at the Yahoo group - dodging spam, etc., but have been registered with this site since I bought the car (what happened to my registry info, anyway?). I just never bothered with this forum after the Yahoo experience ...... remember Troy?!?!!
Two years minus six months (parked) minus 4x4 minus Harley equals almost four months of hair-ripping frustration. Not too bad.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Reading you post more carefully the 163 MPG segment is probably attributable to the MPG gauge sticking. It's been sporadiacally reported in here. I've seen it too. However, it also reads like it was concurrent with the problem of power and performance self correcting.

Aaron Cake had precisely the same problem and it ended up being an intermittent primary O2 sensor. Your's still may test bad and it would be preferred to _know_ a part is bad before replacement. But they can fail intermittantly. So you may need choose to whether or not to take another gamble if your test happens during a good phase.

IMO much better odds than you get in Vegas. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hybridracer's performance issues are just like mine have been. The MPG is not related to driving technique, terrain, altitude. I, too, have a heavy foot but have been good at feathering and enjoying the lean-burn. LMPG at onset of my problems: 56.7 @ 100,00; today is ~49 @ 143,000 (I parked it at 50). I use mid-grade fuel and have had none of the 'recalibration' or sulfur problems [knock. knock.] to date. I do tend to try to 'squeeze' a couple of extra gallons in when fueling.
The car's behavior is as if a component in the fuel delivery process is arbitrarily misbehaving. After having all filters, lines, containers, etc, either blown out, changed, or flushed, there is still no improvement. I do have exhaust odors which have been gradually increasing - I can no longer run the car in a closed garage.
These symptoms began just before the tires were changed so whatever role the tires have played just added to the initial problem. The altitude wasn't too bad The Day Things Went Wrong (couple hours north of Boise) and don't believe that played a role.
All of your input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Faith said:
I do have exhaust odors which have been gradually increasing - I can no longer run the car in a closed garage.
Consistant with too rich a fuel air mixture. The primary O2 sensor's job.

Too rich with too fast or far will eventually cause secondary damage to the CATs ($,$$$) OUCH :!: Slow down and get it checked. Review the links I gave eariler for the details.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
mpg

Anybody in the Boise, Idaho (I assume) area want to assit Faith on her problem?

You might also check the spark plugs. I know of two dealers who installed the iridium plugs for a civic into an Insight. Insight plugs are a lot "longer" than the civics.

Try to check the exhaust pipe for outlet pressure. Low pressure on "reving" could definately indicate a plugged second cat and excessive gas fumes. No sensor on the second cat for your year so you would probly never get a CEL/MIL light.

Hope this will help.
Willie

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
:!: :!: Why would you want to run the car (any car) in a closed garage? That is literally a suicide project. :(

Just because the Insight has low emissions doesn't mean that the exhaust is safe to breathe, and, further, if the car's running in a garage it's not going anywhere--so the MPG is zero. If the goal is to warm it up, the best approach is simply to start driving--or get a block heater.

Another point is about "trying to squeeze a bit more gas in at each fill-up." That is actually a bad idea. The fuel system is pretty complicated, with a number of filters, evaporative canisters, valves, and pipes--all of which can, if forced, be filled with gas. The system is designed for a "regular" fill-up approach: When the handle clicks off, stop putting gas in.

:idea: Further, gasoline is pretty heavy at about six pounds per gallon, so if you can run the car with four gallons in the tank instead of ten, you've saved 36 pounds of dead weight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts