Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Has anyone 3D printed a gear shifter knob what would accommodate the second MIMA joystick? Based on the limited knowledge I have about 3D printed objects, a threaded metal insert would have to be inserted into the printed knob to securely screw it onto the shifter.

I would like to carve or cut the prototype out of some sort of soft material, but other than 3D scanning the prototype, is there any other straightforward way to create the STL file? How well does 3D optical scanning capture hollowed-out areas?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Has anyone 3D printed a gear shifter knob what would accommodate the second MIMA joystick? Based on the limited knowledge I have about 3D printed objects, a threaded metal insert would have to be inserted into the printed knob to securely screw it onto the shifter.

I would like to carve or cut the prototype out of some sort of soft material, but other than 3D scanning the prototype, is there any other straightforward way to create the STL file? How well does 3D optical scanning capture hollowed-out areas?
If you printed it in Ti you can simply tap the thread

·
Linsight Designer
1,774 Posts

Yes, I've printed one and it works great. FYI: You can tap the plastic and it works just fine. Plenty of thread bite on that low stress part.

·
Administrator
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, I've printed one and it works great. FYI: You can tap the plastic and it works just fine. Plenty of thread bite on that low stress part.
Can you upload the stl files then we can add them to our collection of 3d parts. Thanks

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
If have you some pictures of the shifter, could you post a few?

·
Linsight Designer
1,774 Posts
If have you some pictures of the shifter, could you post a few?
Here's the shifter:

Includes holes for MIMA joystick and three buttons (note: In the picture I haven't dissolved the brown support material). If this isn't the part you're looking for, let me know and I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Note: I didn't design the original part; just modified it to mount directly to the insight's 10mm x 1.50 thread.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It would be cool if someone made a model of the Gen 1 Insight like the first link, but make the model to be made into a Grand Theft Auto mod.. How cool would it be to cruise around GTA in the Insight? Killing things with incredible MPG and style..lol I would love the printed Insight for a decoration in my room.

I actually do need one of those Fuel Filler Cap Hangers, I went to fill my Insight up for the first time yesterday and had to figure out where to put my cap since I had no hanger to hang it from the door with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Finally got it the case off my mate, I'm very pleased with it! Finally doesn't look like a half-finished job though people still ask me what it is!

·
Registered
96 Posts

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/honda-insight-forum-1st-gen-discussion/18546-mima-joystick-mount-3.html#post265497

I'm about to revive this project over Christmas break. I need to make a v3.0.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
This is a repost, but it's been about a week with no replies in the other thread. I just had a switch 3d-printed, and it looks like it came out too small:

I ordered it printed from Scupteo.com, and looking now at the specs, the default scale for the big piece is 12.2 × 5.2 × 2.5 mm. Is that right? Does anyone know how big it's supposed to be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure what the default scale is - I just loaded it up in my slicing software (simplify 3d) and it printed the correct size.

Only minor cleanup required to produce a usable part on my Rostock Max with clear Taulman t-glase. The clear filament allows the light in the switch to still shine through. Switch works pretty well. Not as tight as the factory switch, but I'm not complaining.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
33 Participants
MichaelWoodcock
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing