Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I reprinted with imperial units and it came out nicely.
What exactly do you mean by imperial units? My friend is attempting to print a switch set for me. He says they look like they will be the size of a grain of sand, but his printer is set in mm (imperial, right?). Any pointers would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Linsight Designer
1,774 Posts
I'm not sure what the default scale is - I just loaded it up in my slicing software (simplify 3d) and it printed the correct size.

Only minor cleanup required to produce a usable part on my Rostock Max with clear Taulman t-glase. The clear filament allows the light in the switch to still shine through. Switch works pretty well. Not as tight as the factory switch, but I'm not complaining.
This is great news that we have a clear solution. Taulman makes a great product! We've used their nylon for firearms research, which has been a blast!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got it. I looked it up and figured out it was inches. I was confused/stupid. Had my buddy print them at 2540x his millimeters. I think we got it. Check out the attached picture. Thanks a ton. Pretty low resolution, but we'll see if it works! Totally stoked.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
For anybody wondering, the shift knob kicks ***! So much so that I'm gonna get the same set-up in my new Insight!

Once you get instant control of assist, regen and infinity auto-stop at your fingertips, you'll never know how you did without it!

Two enthusiastic thumbs up, Daox!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have a suggestion for 1st gen Insight's.
How about a 3D printed stock-looking radio face-plate that can somehow snap over aftermarket radios? This of coarse will only work for single-din radios, but point is to give it a boring stock cassette-deck look to the casual on-lookers.
What you think?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Just ben googling transparent 3d printed parts. Had an idea, it seems that nobody makes rain-gutters, or side window visors whatever you want to call them for our 1st gen cars. What if somebody 3D printed them out of transparent plastic? I seen several people including me being interested in having a set of these on our cars and many have gone to Civic models but the curvatures don't match.
I bet we can get'ed smoked too. Anybody in on this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just ben googling transparent 3d printed parts. Had an idea, it seems that nobody makes rain-gutters, or side window visors whatever you want to call them for our 1st gen cars. What if somebody 3D printed them out of transparent plastic? I seen several people including me being interested in having a set of these on our cars and many have gone to Civic models but the curvatures don't match.
I bet we can get'ed smoked too. Anybody in on this?
Those are big parts (expensive) to 3D print. As far as I know the only technology that could create clear parts that size would be SLA (Accura 60 type material) and the build envelope is generally a 12" cube unless you get into the crazy expensive large format machines. It would be possible, but I don't think many people could afford it.

I think you would be better off cutting them on a foam CNC then vacuum forming a clear plastic onto them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Those are big parts (expensive) to 3D print. As far as I know the only technology that could create clear parts that size would be SLA (Accura 60 type material) and the build envelope is generally a 12" cube unless you get into the crazy expensive large format machines. It would be possible, but I don't think many people could afford it.

I think you would be better off cutting them on a foam CNC then vacuum forming a clear plastic onto them.
You are correct sir it would be cheaper and much better quality to vacuum form! Not to mention that they look god awful and hurt the aerodynamics, but to each his own.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Had an idea, it seems that nobody makes rain-gutters, or side window visors whatever you want to call them for our 1st gen cars.
Mine are for a Civic, but fit really good, 35 bucks

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Mudder just printed a bunch, and his 3D printer puts most to shame. IIRC, he sells them for $9 shipped. Somewhere, he also posted his STL file.

·
Registered
393 Posts
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
33 Participants
MichaelWoodcock
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing