Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Things like the OBDIIC&C, IMAC&C display and the soon to be available stick voltage monitor are problematical when it comes to enclosures or cases. It's difficult to find the right case at the right price especially when you need cutouts for the screen/buttons etc.

I have a contact now who is just starting to test/design/fabricate an enclosure for the OBDIIC&C as a first project.

He's using an Ultimaker 3D Printer and GeoMagic cad package.
Now I know nothing about these but he sent me a few of teaser pics.

Any input welcome.

I can see I will be buying myself a 3D printer for Christmas.

https://www.ultimaker.com/

Ultimaker 2 looks very tempting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Our local library has a 3-d printer, plus we have several at our community workshop.

There is a site called that is a repository for people's projects
http://www.thingiverse.com/

People can upload the files from their projects and then others can go there and download the files and then print the projects on their printer.

My son has designed several cool things and put them on Thingiverse for others to use:
Key chains, guitar tuning pegs, jewelry, hair clipper guards, and more.

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we get to the stage of having a downloadable case file then that could be great for the community, people just go to the local library and print it out. :)

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I wonder how well hot-extuded plastic will hold up in a hot car cabin in the sun.

I take my OBDIIC&C down and stick it in front of the speedo out of the sun, but I can still feel that it's warm and the plastic feels a touch softer when I get back in the car after work. The case has warped slightly, but not as bad as my first one which I left mounted up on the dash all day a couple times before I realised it was basically slowly melting.

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
More pics and IMAC&C cubby hole faceplate.

More pics of the OBDIIC&C 3D printed case designed by Daniel.

He proposes. "For licencing perhaps I can charge a minimal fee of £4 or $5 USD for the stl file that can be loaded into 3d printer software and anybody that doesn't have access to a 3d printer I can charge £12.50 including postage in the UK."

I think that's very fair.

Looks nice and still evolving.

In cars subject to extreme heat I suspect it will need to be taken off the dash and put in the glove box when parked.

Also IMAC&C 16x2 lcd faceplate for the cubby hole in UK cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Wow, that looks really nice. I especially like the chamfered hold for the 5 way switch and in general the curved edges give it a lot more premium look.

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not my design I will ask Daniel about that.

I could buy them from him and ship them but it would not be for free.

As mentioned I'm probably going to buy a 3D printer in next 6 months or so.

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The case screws are M3x8mm or 10mm countersunk and the pcb screws are M2.5x6mm capheads.

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you PM'd him?

<Euphemism mode on>
Anyway now having had Dan's box in my hands for a few hours it feels great ;)
<Euphemism mode off>

I'll put my unit in it later this week if i get a chance.
Looks like a very nice solution if we can turn them out in reasonable numbers.

I shall send him a Voltage Tap Display board to have a go at as well shortly.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
Looks good.
3D printers have come a long way.

With the ground work done. Eventually other future printers could use the files and such on more temperature resistant types of plastic. Until then, a few minor precautions might be in order. But at the very least it should significantly help that bottle neck of case sourcing and fabrication for people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys

Let me introduce myself,

User PlutoniumDan

Name, Dan

Thank you for your interest in the 3D printed cases.

I originally created one for Peter but I am happy to sell them if anybody is interested.
I am sure once Peter has himself a 3d printer he will also be able to supply them.

I am working with Peter to make custom housings for his electronic wizardry.

The current housing is the first prototype and once Peter has tried it out I will know if it needs any adjustments.

I don't know how well it will do in hot climates left on top of the dash in the sun, but experience over speculation will eventually answer that question.

There is always the option of giving the case a sanding and spraying it with a light grey or any colour suitable to keep the temps down.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Dan

if you want any more prototyping please consider this as an attempt to blag a free file off you :) I have a Makerbot 2X here and would like to have a go at making the enclosure for my OBDIIC&C and the face plate for the IMAC&C. Are you using ABS? I have the capacity to do ABS and in theory PLA which is supposed to be more dimentionaly stable an heat resistant (Getting the PLA to print as reliably is another matter though).

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
World Domination

I've just bought a 3D printer so hope to start making cases for my various gizmos in due course. ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Best of luck with it Peter, No idea which you bought but our Makerbot started with a ratio of about 1 useful item to 3-4parts plastic spaghetti when we first started using it. They are brilliant when they work but its not like a simple printer, put paper in and hit print then outcomes a guaranteed document :) Their little foibles do get easier to work round and tolerate with use though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for the offer to help Puggie.

I made the files for Peter and myself to sell cases and it would be unfair to let the files out as Peter has spent money on a 3D printer to make them.

I use PLA to print as I don't have a heated bed but I do think I get quite good results with it, but then I have also gone through the experimenting to get the settings to work.

What CAD software do you use, it wasn't to difficult to make a case took me maybe about 6 or 7 hours of CAD work and 2 different 3d Printed cases to come up with something acceptable.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I am 3/4 through making a "Sumpod Basic" 3D printer, but as a very good alternative option I would suggest that anyone interested in making a 3D printer for themselves needs to look at this one by Werner Berry.

He calls it the "Berrybot3D" it is a one off he made for himself, but shortly he is going to release build details. If interested, PM him for inclusion in the info when released.

I think a Berrybot will eclipse my poor little Sumpod straight out of the blocks.

I cannot wait to build both.......but brewing beer is taking precedence.....I am on Brew 2!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
16 Participants
samwichse
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing