Honda Insight Forum banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Stick the key into the lock in the right taillight, turn key to right as far as you can with right hand and lift hatch with left hand.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
Yes the trunk has to be open to "replace the part".

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I've been opening the hatch in mine with the key for a year while it's been misbehaving. My getting around to this is long overdue. :rolleyes:
I sent both of yours out today. You should be getting them in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
installation is fun

It's a tricky mechanism, I broke one of the plastic clips that hold the lock rod onto the latch and had to buy a new one. But after an afternoon of fiddling with it, trunk button works perfectly!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found my solution- thank you Jesse - the vid you send was helpful. If anyone has the problem I had, note that the new piece may be a bit too thick, so when all the gears are reinserted and you tighten the lid on top it will cause it to bind up. It works fine when you turn it by hand, but when installed it will not work correctly. Even though it appeared to be properly assembled when screwed down tight, the "lid" caused the entire assembly to bind. Jesse sent me a video show how to test it and how it worked when operating properly, and that helped me figure the whole thing out. As they say, a picture is worth 1000 words. In this case- it helped me figure out my problem! Thanks for your help... hope this helps anyone having the same problem!

Basically, by loosening the screw in the lid area over the replaced part it does not bind. I thought about trying to sand the whole piece, but instead installed tape over the crack so nothing will get in, and trunk is now working like a champ!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Here's the Kia motor next to the original:

Got it installed, turns out it spins backward! I had to reverse the wires. Works perfectly now!

Nice! Good to know there's a fix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
got my replacement piece (jesse), had it in-in under an hour.

It was a little tricky but removing the latch 3 Phillips screws and starting the new piece little end first was very helpful (rainsux) !!

thanks IC!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd really like to order the replacement 3D printed part in order to fix my girls '06 Insight. Says I need to posts to contact you, so here's one out of two!:grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apologies, I realized that the 2-count post requirement was intended to view media related to the "whirring hatch actuator syndrome." PM coming your way!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Got it!

Just fyi guys Mudder updated the original post to include updated information. This includes paypal instructions and a youtube link to the instructional video I made a month back.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Just fixed my printer and printed off another batch of these. Have plenty ready to be sent out with written instruction included.

181 - 200 of 220 Posts