Honda Insight Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Once they run out, if anyone is still in need of one, I have 2 that have never been used. PM me, and I'll drop it in the mail. $15 each.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks to Jesse, Mudder and everyone else on this thread who gave their input. Got the latch from Jesse, installed it and now it works perfectly! Like dnhub said, the spring is a tight fit; I used a needle nose plier to compress the spring while pushing it into the groove.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How Do I Get One Of These 3D Printed Pieces?

Hi,

New here on the forum, but have had the stuck whirring trunk latch for well over 2 years and I've finally decided to fix it.

I have never paid with Pay Pal and don't know how to do it, but I am very interested in getting one of these plastic doo-hickies soon.

I think "Mudder" is the man to talk to about this. Is Mudder still there? I would like to get one of the pieces you designed to fix this. I haven't taken the unit off the car yet, but all indications suggest I have the problem that your part will fix.

Thanks for reply in advance.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,579 Posts
Check permalink # 159 and 160.
Page 16.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I have approval from Mudder to keep selling these, so if anyone needs one just post here or send me a pm.

Thanks,
Jesse

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Do you still have any of your 3D printed hatch parts? I just got a 2000 Insight, and the hatch motor whirrs, but the only way to open the hatch is with the key.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Hi. Do you still have any of your 3D printed hatch parts? I just got a 2000 Insight, and the hatch motor whirrs, but the only way to open the hatch is with the key.

Thanks.
Yup printed off a batch a couple weeks ago. I replied to your pm.

Thanks,
Jesse

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I hope you have some! Sending PM/paypal now! Thanks a lot for this!
I have a bunch of these ready to go. I may make a quick 5 minute youtube video to help with install.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just got my 2000 Insight and hatch just makes a click sound from the left but no whirring....not sure if they are one in the same? Might just end up ordering one anyway

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the part from Jesse, just as advertised. Removed the assembly without problems and put the replacement part in. When reinstalled in the car, now the trunk won't latch... anyone know what I am missing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lol, it's so frustrating to see posts of "20 minutes and it's all so easy!" when you are stuck~:confused::confused::confused:

I realized that I possibly had the spring backwards, so I flipped it. Now the trunk won't open or unlock...

I am not sure what I did wrong, or if I broke something else along the way? I think I have it installed correctly-

I removed as described, replaced broken blue part with new black enclsure and cam with spring down towards the assembly. When I plug in the harness nothing happens.

???
Thanks for any "insight"!

·
Registered
27 Posts
^I believe I am having this same issue Meoates1, could this possibly be your fix? After i reassemble the housing, the latch will work once and then get stuck in the position with the outer spring stretched. Anybody have any ideas?

Also, as the southern CA TLC crew knows, Scott (KLR3CYL) has installed quite a few TLCs over the past several years. Today Scott let me know that he had seen at least one (possibly more) TLC(s) with an out-of-spec inner diameter. This caused the TLC to grip too tightly onto the axle, thus preventing re-latching after the trunk was opened. He mentioned that the TLC(s) that exhibited this issue were blue. He was able to resolve the issue by slightly enlarging the inner diameter. I believe this was an isolated issue from a single batch of TLCs, but until today I had never heard of it. I suspect that anyone else with an out-of-spec TLC would have already notified me by now, but if not, please let me know. I sell these things for fun and will gladly send you another one if the first one was defective.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
^I believe I am having this same issue Meoates1, could this possibly be your fix? After i reassemble the housing, the latch will work once and then get stuck in the position with the outer spring stretched. Anybody have any ideas?
I pm'd Chris back...

I've been swamped at work the past couple months.

I'll try to pop mine out later this week and see if I can't find the issue you guys are describing. Then hopefully come up with a solution.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just in case anyone is wondering, I bought one from the OP back in 2012, and it still works fine 6 years and 100k miles later.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Sounds like the blue clip is broken but due to temperature change only has the issue when warm. It's rather easy to remove this part and see if that part is broken. About an hour to remove and reassemble, less if you've done it before. Give it a look and let me know if it's broke.

FYI, Meotes and I are still in the process of finding out why his isn't working. We've both been busy so it's been slow. I installed one in my car to make sure something wasn't wrong it it worked as it should. Kinda surprised to find the original still in mine.

161 - 180 of 220 Posts