Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I asked in the 1st gen discussion section if anybody would be interested in a 3D printing service for the replacement and upgraded parts some of our excellent members have designed for these cars. Well, I got enough interest that I decided to go through with it, so here's the official thread.

I've started printing Mario's spoiler blocks in high quality ABS, and they've turned out great. Prices below (including USPS tracked shipping in the US, unless noted otherwise. Volume discounts available), in addition to relevant information. I'll add more as I start cranking them out; right now, I'm focusing on small fix-em-ups designed by our members, but would eventually like to design parts myself. Oh, if you have anything you'd like printed, Insight-related or not, PM me and maybe I can help you out; the idea is to offer a discount 3D printing service for Insight Central members.

If you are interested in something, please check below and PM me to discuss/order/pay/etc.

Thanks!

1. Mario's Spoiler Block Upgrade ($37).
- printed in black ABS.
- Mario's instructions and guidelines here: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...4-rear-spoiler-removal-pics-4.html#post998506
- clips and nuts will fit loosely: you may find that the nuts especially need to be slid one way or another to mate with the Torx screws.
- did this on my friend's car. The broken plastic rattle disappeared, and now it closes with a satisfying thud-clunk (thud from the hatch, I think the clunk is from the clips).

All parts are checked before I ship them off, but please check them over for damage and fitment. If they arrive damaged, I'll replace them. I am not responsible for misuse of the parts (like don't stick them in your orifices, and follow guidelines for torquing, etc.).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the spoiler blocks! They look very professional. but I have not had time to fit them yet. Hopefully a project for this weekend. I will try to stop and take pics along the way.

Any chance you are able to print those window switch replacement pieces in clear?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,444 Posts
Spoiler Removal and Install

I decided to replace my rear spoiler. As you can see, it has the "cancer" problem on top.

It was also broken here. I had another spoiler from a junkyard Insight which had two clips broken, but there was no cosmetic damage and the corners were all right.

Remove these two bolts, they use a Torx 30 bit.

The centre bolt is on the inside, remove the interior hatch trim panel and use a 10mm socket or nut driver to remove it.

(Continued)

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,444 Posts

These two clips can be released with needle nose pliers. They're kinda hard to manage, you gotta pinch them with the pliers and then push them back.

The spoiler on my car was broken on the left side. You can also see the rust on the bolt and its square nut thing on the left. The one I'm replacing it with was broken in the same spots.

I ordered all of this new from Honda.

90115-S3Y-000 BOLT-WASHER (6X16) (TORX) (x2)
90303-S3Y-003 NUT (6MM) (x2)
91507-SR2-003 CLIP, ROOF RAIL GARNISH CENTER (x2)

toomanycamrys printed and shipped to me these ABS replacement clip things from Mario's designs. I ordered a whole set, but I decided to only do the broken ones on the new spoiler with these, I left the intact stock clips in place, but I upgraded their hardware with the new stuff.

(Continued)

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,444 Posts

This is the hardware from the car. There's WD40 on there, but look how rusted they are. My Insight is from Canada, so rust is a major issue.

This is on the (new to me) junkyard spoiler. The junkyard Insight lived most of its life in Pennsylvania, and had fewer miles than mine. This nut is pretty good but I replaced it with a new one anyway.

I took the time to clean up underneath where the spoiler was attached. This foam piece was basically glued onto the metal with age. A credit card took it off in no time.

Here's the whole area cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. You'll need to have it on hand for the ABS clips even if you don't clean this area.

(Continued)

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,444 Posts

The new clips installed on the junkyard spoiler before putting it on the car. I used Oatey brand cement. Get the can that says ABS and a couple other things on the front. I found it at ACE Hardware. Make sure you clean the new clips and their attachment points on the spoiler with isopropyl alcohol before you glue them down.

The recommendation is to let this stuff dry for 24 hours (or 48 is better) before installing the spoiler. I wasn't able to have the car down for that long, so what I did was I put the spoiler back on but only via the centre nut (seen in my first post) and the two white clips. Two days later I screwed in the new TORX bolts, so the new connector on the end in the above photo had no stress on it until long after the cement cured.

Fitment was very easy. Just make sure they're lined up how they appear in the above photo. The OEM clips break off and leave some flash where they used to attach, that flash (or burr) is your guide to horizontal placement. And you push the new ABS clip so that it's flush with the back of the spoler, which means there should be a burr from the OEM clip just in front of the new clips. That's hard to see in the photo because the cement is all over it.

I don't have a picture of it installed on my car, sorry about that.

·
Administrator
13,931 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wet Seat Belt

Any chance of making the clips to the over the doors molding, so I can fix the wet seat belt problem
AFAIK there are 3 different clips required and they are pricey from Honda.
:)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,102 Posts
Any chance of making the clips to the over the doors molding, so I can fix the wet seat belt problem
AFAIK there are 3 different clips required and they are pricey from Honda.
:)
There are actually 4 different clips to do it correctly.

In many cases it can be done with 7 of one and 1 other that run the length of the moulding. In many cases the clip all the way in the front at base of the windshield survives and can be reused, it is a small round one that looks like a button.

There is one on the roof to the most rear location and it has a stainless steel insert in it. I believe this is the one that usually leaks. It also almost always survives removing the moulding. With sealer applied around the base it can usually be reused. This is the most expensive of the clips. It list for about $15.00, but doesn't always need replacement.

The alternative clips listed seem to be an exact match.

It is also important to apply sealer to the top 5 clip holes before installing the moulding.

For one side of the car it requires:
7 of one style
1 that is similar with an extra barb for alignment
1 looks like a button, doesn't always break, at base of windshield
1 rear most roof, rarely breaks, has metal insert, about $15.00 each

The type of plastic use may or may not be able to be reproduced economically, also the strength of the parts.

I guess the OP will have to look into the feasibility of attempting to reproduce these.

Scott

·
Registered
41 Posts
awesome thanks for the info

·
Linsight Designer
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the spoiler blocks! They look very professional. but I have not had time to fit them yet. Hopefully a project for this weekend. I will try to stop and take pics along the way.

Any chance you are able to print those window switch replacement pieces in clear?
Glad you liked them. I'll get right on the window switch pieces, see if I can't make something workable. My buddy's is broken, so perfect test run.

You might get some takers for 3d printed OBDIIC&C cases.

If you are coming to the insight fest bring a few and you might make a few bucks..

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...30-3d-printed-project-cases-obdiic-c_case.zip
I kept forgetting to ask you if I could print up these designs! Well, thanks Peter. I won't be at Insightfest but I will try and print up some of these for people who want them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update...I'm doing some upgrades so I can get better looking prints and crank out more. It's late, but I'll have pics of cases and window switch fixes posted next week (just waiting for parts to get in). If anybody wants spoiler blocks, I have several sets printed up, just PM me.

Also, if anybody is interested in Insight keychains, they'll be cranked out then as well.

Thanks for the reviews.

·
Registered
621 Posts

The new clips installed on the junkyard spoiler before putting it on the car. I used Oatey brand cement. Get the can that says ABS and a couple other things on the front. I found it at ACE Hardware. Make sure you clean the new clips and their attachment points on the spoiler with isopropyl alcohol before you glue them down.

The recommendation is to let this stuff dry for 24 hours (or 48 is better) before installing the spoiler. I wasn't able to have the car down for that long, so what I did was I put the spoiler back on but only via the centre nut (seen in my first post) and the two white clips. Two days later I screwed in the new TORX bolts, so the new connector on the end in the above photo had no stress on it until long after the cement cured.

Fitment was very easy. Just make sure they're lined up how they appear in the above photo. The OEM clips break off and leave some flash where they used to attach, that flash (or burr) is your guide to horizontal placement. And you push the new ABS clip so that it's flush with the back of the spoler, which means there should be a burr from the OEM clip just in front of the new clips. That's hard to see in the photo because the cement is all over it.

I don't have a picture of it installed on my car, sorry about that.
Dry nice write-up! You were busting your butt at the IF2016 with repairs. Thank you for allowing me to borrow that drill for a bit while I was removing my battery cover!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts