Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't post too often here but wanted to share some news and opinions on the next gen insight. First off, the new Honda Fit has been revealed for Japan.

2015 Honda Fit First Drive - Motor Trend

Looks like the rs (most closely related to the Fit Sport here in the US) will come with an optional 6 speed, finally. More noteworthy is the mpg figures on the hybrid variant, which sadly won't be making it to the US. However, a fit based sedan will be coming out. Not sure if that's the insight or not, since the 1st and 2nd gen have been hatchbacks. Either way, the next Insight should be getting the 1.5 l earth dreams hybrid with the 7 speed i-dcd transmission, which I read should come with paddle shifters as an option. The one in the fit makes 135 hp and 125 lb foot torque, a substantial improvement on the gen 2 Insight. Most importantly however, is that this new engine should be good for about a 35% increase in fuel efficiency, which would give the next insight an mpg rating of around 55mpg! :)
I hope this is the case. I'm very excited about the next insight. If all goes well, I may trade mine in when the new one comes out. I have read over 2 doze articles and a commonly said statement about these new engines is that they are much more responsive with a 15% increase in acceleration. This may give the next insight an edge over the prius and keep the crz alive.

I wanted to start this thread to get opinions from members here at insight central.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If they do a Civic Hatchback Hybrid I don't think there would be much call for an I3. Too similar in size and features and the hatcback is already aerodynamic enough.

The main thing that would appeal to me if there was an I3 (or Civic Hybrid hatchback) would be a manual transmission version.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Mmmmm lithium....
2015 Honda Fit Hybrid Battery Photo 23

135hp, 55mpg, and a 7 speed DSG box for the hybrid... why TF can't we get that here?

If they at least update the Insight's underpinnings/drive train the way they have that new fit, it's going to completely stomp the floor with the Yaris hybrid/Prius C. Toyota's driving dynamics in those things is terrible. I test drove a C and my wifes 2007 Fit with 145k on the clock felt far better.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I dont know about the new 6 speeds.5 3,4,5,6 all are about the same ratios. I like it better when the last gear was steep for cruzing and you used the previous gear for accelerating.Hell, Id settle fo a 4 speed if they make gear 4 steep for cruising.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I rather have a manual insight that has the IMA on XMSN side past the clutch, even better continuously engaged off the bottom cog so EV mode/regen is completely independent of the motor and XMSN gear selection, then just use the strong direct drive starter like kias do on their start stop cars.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think Honda has just discovered what Toyota has early on. The hybrid power plant can help you get better fuel economy or it can help as a power added to make a4 cylinder act like a 6 and a 6 act like an 8.

Just look at the new acura design. Not only is it using a hybrid drivetrain, but also a turbo and direct injection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts