Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You might think this should go in the 3rd gen forum, but you'd be wrong. My interest in this, as small as it is, only has to do with how the 3rd gen pack might be used in a 1st gen car...

I stumbled across a pack for sale on ebay, for like $250 (see image below), it looks like it must be just a module though. But I can't find hardly any details about the 3rd gen pack... This is what I've seen:

60 cell lithium-ion (motortrend, Honda press pack)
1.2kWh (wikipedia)
electric motor: 129 HP, 197 lb-ft torque (motortrend), 96kW AC PMSM (wikipedia)

Anybody know the specs of the pack? At minimum, What's the voltage?

If it's 60 cells and 'lithium-ion', I'd guess 3.6V X 60=216V. Or perhaps 3.7V X 60 = 222V. Assuming cells in series...
If it's 1.2kWh at 216V, that'd be 1200Wh/216V=5.55Ah cells? Or 1200Wh/222V=5.4Ah cells...

Other than these, knowing the cell chemistry would be nice, beyond the generic "lithium-ion" - NMC?, NCA? LCO? LMO? LTO?? Cell manufacturer? Basically anything else...

I'm only seeing 12 cells in this 'pack' below, so it must be a module if there's supposed to be 60 cells in the pack. 60 / 12 = 5 modules in the full pack? At ~$250 for this presumed module, that'd be $1250 for a full pack... One would probably only need 4 of these for 1st gen use, if they could be used at all. Not really seeing any potential advantage here over other current retrofit options...

EDIT
Now, if these were 'LTO' cells, there might be something there: 60 cells at 2.4V per cell, 144V total. ~5.5Ah* LTOs would be a nice replacement option for stock NiMH cells...
*Actually, that'd be about 8.3Ah cells if they were LTOs at 2.4V each.

I found this tidbit of info: "Blue Energy Ltd, Joint venture of GS Yuasa (51%) Honda (49%) providing batteries to Honda." But this article from 2013 says Honda was looking for a new, second battery supplier: "We are thinking about a different supplier," Yokoo said at test drive event for the latest Fit hatchback. "It would be for the upcoming hybrids, including the Fit."

Interestingly, we know that Toshiba supplied the cells (the LTOs) for the Fit. But that article mentions it, then goes on to note that the new supplier isn't someone Honda's worked with before, so it couldn't be Toshiba...

·
Administrator
11,163 Posts
Hasn't there been some discussion on these on here?

Did someone buy one earlier?

Did we do some work on the BMS?
If not it might be similar to the civic lithium one which we can read.

Like most packs it can probably be made to work with a bit of tampering/fudging/bodging.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hasn't there been some discussion on these on here? Did someone buy one earlier? Did we do some work on the BMS? If not it might be similar to the civic lithium one which we can read. Like most packs it can probably be made to work with a bit of tampering/fudging/bodging.
I searched the Gen 3 forum, anything with "battery" in the title, and found nothing. I didn't search the gen 1 forum. I don't recall seeing anything about the Gen 3 Insight pack here, though 'we' looked into one of the lithium Civic packs, I think Jime spearheaded that for a while...

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because of how “new” it is there is a $950 cost of admission to buy a whole pack
who goes first?
[list of packs at wrecking yards]
So, you've included Honda Accord packs in your list. Do we know that Accord packs are the same or use the same cells as the 3rd Gen Insight? Looks like your search says '2019 Honda Insight', but the actual descriptions include '2017 Accord Hybrid'...

Hey, also, I see a "223 volts" written in one of the pack descriptions. Kind of suggests the 3.7V X 60 cells config I postulated earlier, though if that's a measurement with a voltmeter, who knows - since a nominally 216V pack can measure 223V...

·
Registered
615 Posts
So, you've included Honda Accord packs in your list. Do we know that Accord packs are the same or use the same cells as the 3rd Gen Insight? Looks like your search says '2019 Honda Insight', but the actual descriptions include '2017 Accord Hybrid'...

Hey, also, I see a "223 volts" written in one of the pack descriptions. Kind of suggests the 3.7V X 60 cells config I postulated earlier, though if that's a measurement with a voltmeter, who knows - since a nominally 216V pack can measure 223V...
I didn’t include them car-part decided to, buyer beware but there are ones above listed all the way around as an Insight pack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts