Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up the 3rd tank of the new Insight this morning and I am seeing good results. Here is what I have so far for 3 full tanks.

1st tank - 36 mpg end result. tire pressure was approx 35 psi (set from dealership). Drove about half Econ mode and half not. AC blasting on low most of the time.

2nd tank - 39 mpg end result. Bumped up tire psi at time of fill up to 40 psi. Drove mostly in Econ mode. Learned how to drive the car for better results. Used less AC but was still comfortable.

3rd tank - 42.75 mpg end result. Bumped up the psi to 45 psi at time of fill up. Drove 95% in Econ mode. Really tried hard to keep the mpg way up. AC use was about the same as the second tank.

My tires are Yokohama avid ascends, and have a max psi of 51. Wondering if I should crank them up a tad more..

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Not bad. Its likely you and the car are learning from each other. A lot of systems on the honda learns as you go. Many cars pick up bad habits being shuttled around the car lot to different spots and the car wash weekly.

Tire psi is just one of several factors for mpg. A low or weak starter battery is the big one. Aftermarket wheels play an even bigger role vs tire selection and psi.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not bad. Its likely you and the car are learning from each other. A lot of systems on the honda learns as you go. Many cars pick up bad habits being shuttled around the car lot to different spots and the car wash weekly.

Tire psi is just one of several factors for mpg. A low or weak starter battery is the big one. Aftermarket wheels play an even bigger role vs tire selection and psi.
Maybe autozone could tell me if the starter battery is good.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Try to time the lights from a distance so you never have to stop. Starting from a dead stop kills your MPG, slowly accelerate when and drive with a really light foot.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Maybe try changing your route or travel times? I can see a big traffic difference by leaving 5 minutes early than the day before. Thursdays seem to have the heaviest traffic.

Also I tend to take roads with 45 mph speed limits, even if it does go a bit out of the way. I also take routes with right turns and plan 1 trip with multiple stops vs a trip a stop.

If your trips are 7 miles or less, it really hurts your mpg. You may want to consider a full grill block vs a partial. Maybe even removal of the air snorkel to suck warm air in from the engine bay.

Have you checked tires to see how they are wearing? Have you or the car had an alignment recently? Have you rotated tires?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe try changing your route or travel times? I can see a big traffic difference by leaving 5 minutes early than the day before. Thursdays seem to have the heaviest traffic.

Also I tend to take roads with 45 mph speed limits, even if it does go a bit out of the way. I also take routes with right turns and plan 1 trip with multiple stops vs a trip a stop.

If your trips are 7 miles or less, it really hurts your mpg. You may want to consider a full grill block vs a partial. Maybe even removal of the air snorkel to suck warm air in from the engine bay.

Have you checked tires to see how they are wearing? Have you or the car had an alignment recently? Have you rotated tires?

Tires look good and the car seems aligned. I actually do have an alternative rural route home from work that I have been taking. It's roughy 14 miles each way to work. I think my mpg will continue to improve a bit simply from learning to drive the car to its fullest. Since I filled the talk yesterday I have gone about 84 miles and my average says 47.4. Realistically if I retain that, it would probably give me 45 mpg on a fill. Last tank was 42.75. I am learning to be super light on the pedal, coast, anticipate stops, and allow the car to charge. These things I am becoming more and more contious of every time I drive. I believe that if I had a long course road trip, from fill to refill, with little traffic to contend with, I could break 50 mpg or more. Maybe even 55 +. What is your average mpg during the summer?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Highest with all the eco driving tricks 79. Regular driving about 65mpg. Lowest in winter, 36-43. The past winter I averages 29, but we had a lot of below freezing weather, which is unusual for this area. The frozen stuff on ground doesnt help.

Yup, add more coasting, timing lights is about it. As your tires wear, and fluids near replacement you will see the mpg start to drop.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Highest with all the eco driving tricks 79. Regular driving about 65mpg. Lowest in winter, 36-43. The past winter I averages 29, but we had a lot of below freezing weather, which is unusual for this area. The frozen stuff on ground doesnt help.

Yup, add more coasting, timing lights is about it. As your tires wear, and fluids near replacement you will see the mpg start to drop.
Were those two numbers on long trips? What's your average summertime tank mpg city/hwy normal driving?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
The 79 was a ten mile trip to see what I could do. We had a contest a few years ago on this forum.

The 65 was a combination of mainly highway commute. 65 summer, 54 the other months with a nose dive once temps got down to freezing.

Those were on the same commute. Ive since moved twice, changed jobs a few times. Recently I was averaging 39 a tank with gas, 45 with an e85 mix. Now since the 100k mile tune up Im see 45-47 with mid grade gas. Of course I do a lot of stuff that hurts mpg now. I did have to go where I use to live and notice the instant readout for mpg started to hover around 65 mpg. :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 79 was a ten mile trip to see what I could do. We had a contest a few years ago on this forum.

The 65 was a combination of mainly highway commute. 65 summer, 54 the other months with a nose dive once temps got down to freezing.

Those were on the same commute. Ive since moved twice, changed jobs a few times. Recently I was averaging 39 a tank with gas, 45 with an e85 mix. Now since the 100k mile tune up Im see 45-47 with mid grade gas. Of course I do a lot of stuff that hurts mpg now. I did have to go where I use to live and notice the instant readout for mpg started to hover around 65 mpg. :cool:
Cobb, does the traction control feature being on or off have a baring on mpg? Also, I could be wrong, but a couple times I have noticed perhaps a decrease in performance with headlights on vs off. Perhaps that might be a sign of a weak starter battery?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive never tried it off vs on for any duration of a trip as I believe it automatically rearms above 35 mph. I do notice it does kick in from time to time and when acceleration the cvt doesnt load the engine heavy enough to avoid hitting the rev limiter, reducing acceleration.

I think I read somewhere for autocrossing most people unplug the brake/trac unit on the passenger side shock tower under the hood. I do also notice the strange feeling when skid control kicks and you feel each corner brake at a different time to keep the car in line.

When I drive other vehicles like my sidekick Its pretty common to hear chirping when acceleration, braking, engine braking, cornering, etc. :biggrin:

Do you have halogen lamps or hid? Most of us have swapped them to hid, 35 watts. Once lit those use very little power. Halogen bulbs are a continuous drain and can reduce mpg.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive never tried it off vs on for any duration of a trip as I believe it automatically rearms above 35 mph. I do notice it does kick in from time to time and when acceleration the cvt doesnt load the engine heavy enough to avoid hitting the rev limiter, reducing acceleration.

I think I read somewhere for autocrossing most people unplug the brake/trac unit on the passenger side shock tower under the hood. I do also notice the strange feeling when skid control kicks and you feel each corner brake at a different time to keep the car in line.

When I drive other vehicles like my sidekick Its pretty common to hear chirping when acceleration, braking, engine braking, cornering, etc. :biggrin:

Do you have halogen lamps or hid? Most of us have swapped them to hid, 35 watts. Once lit those use very little power. Halogen bulbs are a continuous drain and can reduce mpg.
Not sure I'll have to check.

I reset the B mile odometer for a short 14 mile test, taking the rural route home from work yesterday. The result was 59 mpg with AC on in the rain. Being that I did not change my driving style that much, it's amazing how stop and go traffic is such a fuel burner and can cost you over 10 mpg over the course of a tank.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I reset the B mile odometer for a short 14 mile test, taking the rural route home from work yesterday. The result was 59 mpg with AC on in the rain. Being that I did not change my driving style that much, it's amazing how stop and go traffic is such a fuel burner and can cost you over 10 mpg over the course of a tank.
I've had similar results.
Unlike Cobb, my car is straight stock, off the showroom floor. Where I live, the temperatures rarely go above 75 and there are lots of small and medium sized hills to deal with. Still, my best ever mpg was 66.9 mpg for 46.4 miles, and 60.8 mpg for 171.3 miles. I've listed all my fuel purchases at fuelly.com, and it shows 50.4 mpg for 60k miles. Which is 8.4 mpg higher than the 41 mpg EPA determined estimated mpg.

I've often wondered about how much a particular behavior change, changes the per tankful mpg. My best guesses at this point are: Tire pressures - about 40%. (an increase of 3.36 mpg over the EPA estimate). Basic, steady, high-mileage driving style - about 40% (another 3.36 mpg). Subtle, specific, detailed driving adjustments, and careful ima state of charge battery management - another 20% (add another 1.68 mpg for a total 8.4 mpg increase over EPA for 60,000 miles of mixed mostly suburban driving).

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
59 isnt bad for driving in rain and with ac on. I found the first summer I owned my car when I use to work night shift that when it was 100% humidity I got the best mpg. I also tried my best to have the ac off too if the sun was down. :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had similar results.
Unlike Cobb, my car is straight stock, off the showroom floor. Where I live, the temperatures rarely go above 75 and there are lots of small and medium sized hills to deal with. Still, my best ever mpg was 66.9 mpg for 46.4 miles, and 60.8 mpg for 171.3 miles. I've listed all my fuel purchases at fuelly.com, and it shows 50.4 mpg for 60k miles. Which is 8.4 mpg higher than the 41 mpg EPA determined estimated mpg.

I've often wondered about how much a particular behavior change, changes the per tankful mpg. My best guesses at this point are: Tire pressures - about 40%. (an increase of 3.36 mpg over the EPA estimate). Basic, steady, high-mileage driving style - about 40% (another 3.36 mpg). Subtle, specific, detailed driving adjustments, and careful ima state of charge battery management - another 20% (add another 1.68 mpg for a total 8.4 mpg increase over EPA for 60,000 miles of mixed mostly suburban driving).
I have to agree with everything you said.. I am 100% pleased with the car so far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I really had no choice my to loan the insight to my GF so she could drive it her 65 mile round trip to work. Her daughter had her Mini Cooper today cause she's visiting. I had a record tank going and was so I was reluctant to give her the keys. Plus she treats her car like crap too. Anyways, I got the car back with makeup all over my seat. In attempting to clean it off, I have left water marks... I'm hoping they come out with alcohol. I have a tad under a quarter of tank left now with 350ish miles on the odometer. My mpg was at 49.1 when she left and I got the car back at 48 at 350 miles. I think it's still going to beat my best 42.75 mpg I got last time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Great MPG improvements. Driving a hybrid economically is a learned process. You're doing great!

Got a fuel load yesterday afternoon and measured 51.3 mpg. A little less than my last tank, but definitely using A/C all the time now and toting my bicycle around on the rack behind the car, so expected the drop.

Did have to make a couple of trips to meet bike ride groups at slightly faster rates of speed than I normally drive, so that was another reason for the drop. I will see if I can get those MPGs up a bit more.

I try to make sure my wife has her car available all the time. Don't think I could handle the MPG drop she would probably incur if she had to drive the Insight... she's always in a hurry during the day. "Too many irons in the fire" I think would be the fitting expression.

Keep up the good MPGs! Insights can really deliver excellent economy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4th full tank 414 miles and it took 9.175 gallons for a little over 45 mpg! Of course the gauge said I did 48.1, but who's counting ;).. This is my best tank yet. 65 of the miles were also driven by my GF to and from work. Maybe I would have gotten 46 mpg if I drove the whole time. Tonight I decided to fill up with 89 octane. Just want to see if I can tell a difference. This next tank I'm going for 48 mpg!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
The gauge runs actual mpg + about 3 mpg.

Using my numbers above, if you put extra air in the tires and drive in a way similar to the EPA style you should get 41 + 3.36 = 44.36 mpg. Pretty close to your 45 mpg actual. Add basic high mpg driving style for a + 3.36 mpg, and you can look for 47.72 actual mpg, real close to your 48 mpg goal. Add 3 mpg to account for the gauge error, then look for 51 on the gauge, and you'll know you've made it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts