Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Awesome opportunity for anyone that wants to take on ownership of an INCREDIBLY low mileage virgin (the car) two owner insight.

Brand new potenza tires, new 12 volt battery with 3 year warranty, new radiator - look - 52 k miles. Not a typo.

This is an incredible opportunity. Located in the New Orleans metro area.
First come first served - but of course if you are interested and cool I can work with you.
Bought from an elderly man who only used it to grab groceries.
Ima died a few months back - which must mean it was the second battery in.
I have disconnected the battery pack so it runs solo on gas. Still getting 55 mpg! Crazy!

For someone who wants to mod - or spend $1200 on a new battery pack - this vehicle is nearly new!
AC blows cold. All the dials are there.
The only negatives would be a couple paint chips on lower bumper (fix it yourself with matching paint).
IMA battery needs replaced or refreshed (it is intact and still in the vehicle).
Side piece above passenger window flew off during a wind storm.

I love this vehicle - but I have a car thing - and the drive is full. I have to thin the herd.

ASKING $4,000

Email me at

[email protected]

Talk soon.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Talked to owner. Great guy. Considering a plane ticket and 9 hour drive home once we talk more and I see pictures. Car has sat for a lonnnnnnnnnng time though, not sure I trust a 9 hour commute.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Likely, but I'm looking at a good one to build and keep forever. I would have kept my last one but it was blue and my favorite color is grey.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Talked to owner. Great guy. Considering a plane ticket and 9 hour drive home once we talk more and I see pictures. Car has sat for a lonnnnnnnnnng time though, not sure I trust a 9 hour commute.
If the car sat for a long time you should not use the IMA battery until it has been rejuvenated. Luckily the present owner seems to have turned it off for that reason.

You will have to disconnect the 2 front BCM connectors because the 12 volt battery will not get charged if the IMA battery switch is set to OFF and you certainly won't be able to drive 9 hours with the 12v battery not getting charged.

If the IMA battery is still in warranty it ought to be OK once it is grid charged/discharged etc.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I am the guy that told you. Keep the car one more year. When Harris becomes president Gas will go to six dollars a gallon.
So you could sell it for more or you may be tempted to keep it in one year. That’s also a Jedi trick.
Yes it’s a Jedi tricks I am a Jedi master. I tell people to keep their car so they will feel like I’m not trying to take advantage of them but I’m really wanting to buy the whole time. I have a car 62,000 miles and it feels tighter steering wheel feels new and I won’t allow myself to drive it To keep it low miles. I drive an old Bangor instead and it’s a wonderful car too. My favorite anything is the Honda insight. That’s no Jedi mind trick😎

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got my 2nd just last month by flying and driving home over 1400 miles with the battery disconnected and excepting some of the passes in Cali, NM & West Texas, it ran like a champ. 80-85mph the entire way.

Also, remember I offered you a free mirror for your last G1, then lost it - if you pick this up and need a mirror, I found it and it has your name if you ultimately need it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Thank you everyone, your insight :) is much appreciated.

The IMA battery on this one is dead, which is good because I wanted one with a no-good battery because I have some 8.0 Bumblebee + hacking plans in store with @Natalya. The thing here is the car has been sitting for a long time and will need some paint on the hood minimum. I'm working with a buddy who (yes, I am crazy) might be willing to help me make the 9 hour drive and trailer the car back. He owns a citrus Insight so it might just be possible to convince him.

As for this car (or my next Insight), I'm keeping it. Last one I did just for fun and to make money to fund the latest book I just wrote. But I fell in love with the car I decided I was gonna get another to keep until the world ends.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm willing to pay this much. Yes $4000 plus $3000 battery plus $1000 paint (hood and possibly more) plus missing trim plus who knows what other stuff. This is getting pricey. Need to think, think, think...I need some INSIGHT in my life it seems.....

I got my 2nd just last month by flying and driving home over 1400 miles with the battery disconnected and excepting some of the passes in Cali, NM & West Texas, it ran like a champ. 80-85mph the entire way.

Also, remember I offered you a free mirror for your last G1, then lost it - if you pick this up and need a mirror, I found it and it has your name if you ultimately need it.
WHAT!!!! Excellent! Thanks, I might take you up on that. I appreciate you remembering. Need a car first, then we'll see.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Thought I'd update on this to help both the seller and community, as others might have interest.

First, the seller (Nick) is a great stand-up guy. We had two long conversations, he communicates well and was extremely accommodating. He sent me several dozen pictures and made four videos which he might post on this thread. BTW this thread should be moved to the FS section.

The verdict is still out as to whether I'll buy this car, I need to think and check my gut. Whether or not I do I am sure it will go to the right owner. With a low mileage oddball car like this it all depends on what someone is willing to pay. I learned a ton about G1 Insights wrenching and restoring the blue one I sold recently; I made it perfect and it returned a premium price. From that knowledge and my conversations with the seller, and the pics and videos, I've estimated that it will require me in excess of $4000 to restore this car to my standards. Do your own homework and talk to the seller to make your own determination of this. As I see it this car needs the front end painted/blended, some brake work, a few niggles like the rear latch and shock replacement, a steering wheel, a good cleaning, a proper tune-up, a driver's side A-pillar piece, and an IMA battery. Doing all the labor myself will save some money but just the paint and parts above, not accounting for my labor, will double the cost of this car, making it an $8000 investment.

Beyond that, we need Scott's springs, some mpg nerd mods, and a few other things...not accounting for the unknowns of a car that's not been driven much in the last few years.

Again these are my standards, they are high, so you might be different if you're willing to live with bad paint and a low-end IMA battery. As I see it though, buying a cream puff with 52k miles also means making the car perfect.

Add to that, I have a 9-hour drive (not going to fly there and drive it back, too risky it might not make it) with a trailer one-way and a 9-hour return trip, plus cost of gas, food, trailer, and a day of my life. If this was across town it might be different but that's a variable I have to consider. I do have a local buddy (owns a citrus) lined up who's willing to take the road trip with me.

That said, is this 52k car in "perfect" shape with a new battery worth $8000-$9000? I don't know. I need to sleep on it and drink some alcohol, then maybe I'll know. But if you want it get it, there are many fish in the sea and I'm not in a rush.

In the meantime, if you're interested I will vouch for the seller, a total gentleman here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
"Sleep on it & drink some alcohol..."

Honestly, seeing what you did to the blueberry, I would love to see what you do here.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
"Sleep on it & drink some alcohol..."
View attachment 88284

Honestly, seeing what you did to the blueberry, I would love to see what you do here.
Thanks that is encouraging. My problem is I am just too practical about money and "type A" when it comes to making things perfect. If I spend more on the car that it is reasonably worth to a sane person, I am making a bad decision.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I can’t think about anything but work until it rains. But I’m interested. Middle of December I’m working 18 to 20 hours days. And catching short naps in the semi truck while waiting in line at the elevator. I love the smell of aluminum in the morning. Last night I got home at 10 o’clock I was back up at one did some stuff and then was back at the river at 4 o’clock. Actually 405 the truck they came in at 4:04:15 Beat me . Two nights before that I got here at 1 o’clock in the morning. My mother came and got me and I brought another truck down here at 4 o’clock in the morning. And I stayed until it opened. My sister came back to drive the other truck back before she went to work. Family operation. Did I mention that I’m working 18 to 20 hours a day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
coworker is selling his insight and it brought me here to figure out a value. it is automatic 2002 55k miles, everything works. he wants $8500 for it. I thought he was nuts until I learned more on this site. with all the nerd hacks and mpg mods, what might one expect? how do these ride when in good condition? loud road noise? stiff suspension?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
coworker is selling his insight and it brought me here to figure out a value. it is automatic 2002 55k miles, everything works. he wants $8500 for it. I thought he was nuts until I learned more on this site. with all the nerd hacks and mpg mods, what might one expect? how do these ride when in good condition? loud road noise? stiff suspension?
If it's in near perfect shape and the IMA has a 2-5 year warranty on it, $8k is reasonable for that car. No warranty, cut that price in half. No warranty and not perfect, cut it in half again.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The way to get the most money for your car. I paid the most money for the first car I got. Because I wanted one and didn’t care what it cost. Now I have a green car that I have $600 for 100,000 miles. And I have some other cars I got less than 1000 far.
I know where I can go get a $500 car right now. But I’m busy working. You know what the differences in a $5000 car and a $600 car is .If you don’t you want to buy a car?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts