Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've had two in 130 miles on this tank.
This can't be normal, can it?
29,570 miles on the car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes, this is normal. I had it manny times, don't worry :wink:

·
Registered
237 Posts
What kind of driving are you doing? Have you had any "Idiot" lights come on? It is under warranty still. If so take it your local dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must admit that the maint req light is on.
I was under the impression that it came on when you reach a certain mileage.
This is my second year owning this car. It wasn't doing this the first year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The funny thing is, that it does now happen maybe once a month. It drops and it is going back to full in 5 minutes.
I had no lights or any funny things, it looks like the BCM seems to " forget" the SOC. I know that it can be irritating. My biggest concern is that when I am in autostop the engine dies. Oil light lights up etc, and it won't restart. I am looking for a proper solution for this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a recal about every 140-200 miles, seems right about where you are. I don't have a MX required light on though. SImple recal, but regening the battery does take a while as I do mostly city driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I some how refuse to think that this is "normal".
A friend of mine has a hybrid Civic for several years and this has never happened.
I do mostly town driving and the forced charging can go on for days.
Not very good for the gas mileage!
I have a dealer who has not sold many of these cars.
I'm not sure what to tell them when I complain!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
not miles, SoC level

The miles you drive between recals are depending heavily on the drivring style, terrain and traffic. What is more important to watch is the level of SoC that the recal occurs at. (Provided it got to full after the last recal).

The higher this level, the smaller the capacity of your battery. Mine was triggering recals whith SoC as high as 15 bars before the IMA light finally came on. If it consistently recalibrates when tyhe gauge shows 3/4 charge left, it basically shows your usable battery capacity is only 1/4 of normal.

But don't try arguing with Honda. They won't admit that that's a problem until the IMA light goes on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine waits unitl it hits full and then it recals. Driving is normal until there. The force recal up to half of course kills my mileage and it takes a while to get to it due to my round town driving.

If I could get a new battery pack and required modules for $3k or under I'd gladly shell out the $$$ even though my car has around 60k miles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Since you are still under warantee, my advice to you is to beat on it. Abuse the IMA system with heavy boost and regen. Your goal is to get that IMA light on the dash to light up and then you can get that new battery pack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flunkysama said:
Since you are still under warantee, my advice to you is to beat on it. Abuse the IMA system with heavy boost and regen. Your goal is to get that IMA light on the dash to light up and then you can get that new battery pack.
There goes the mileage!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
An observation I've had. Pre 02 Insight's seem to enter a recalibration whenever you sit in auto stop for more than a couple of minutes. I've had it happen once or twice with mine in that situation, but i've sat in auto stop for an hour before with my 02 and no recalibration when I restarted. Somehow I would think this would be a little "fix" with the recommended BCM / MCM updates when you get a new pack.

Of course I'm only comparing this with the two 01's I've been in and my 02. Can anyone back this up for me?

·
Registered
61 Posts
bongo said:
I some how refuse to think that this is "normal".
A friend of mine has a hybrid Civic for several years and this has never happened.
I do mostly town driving and the forced charging can go on for days.
Not very good for the gas mileage!
I have a dealer who has not sold many of these cars.
I'm not sure what to tell them when I complain!
Is your friend's HCH a stick? I don't consider it normal either. Still, it seems that the "new" battery pack and controller etc have updated software that will lessen the chance of the battery going out at such a young age next time. Of course since I bought my car used I didn't get a chance to protect the pack like I've done with my HCH, it a CVT though.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Rick said:
An observation I've had. Pre 02 Insight's seem to enter a recalibration whenever you sit in auto stop for more than a couple of minutes.
How many pre-02 Insights have you tried this on? Mine never did that, even in it's worst days. Unless SoC was dangerously close to recal level before going into idle stop...

In Idle-stop things are pretty easy: the drain on the battery is small, just whatever it takes to feed 12V consumers. Do that long enough for one of the battery modules to hit the low voltage threshold and you get a recal.

I don't know what Honda changed over the years. Apparently , there are still fewer recal reports on 02+ Insights than there were on 2000's two years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can you have a Civic Hybrid for several years? Does two count as several?[/quote]

Isn't this 2005?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Rick said:
An observation I've had. Pre 02 Insight's seem to enter a recalibration whenever you sit in auto stop for more than a couple of minutes. I've had it happen once or twice with mine in that situation, but i've sat in auto stop for an hour before with my 02 and no recalibration when I restarted. Somehow I would think this would be a little "fix" with the recommended BCM / MCM updates when you get a new pack.

Of course I'm only comparing this with the two 01's I've been in and my 02. Can anyone back this up for me?
My 2000 has has only 3 recalibrations since I bought it, about 15 months ago. The battery, BCM, and MCM have never been replaced.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hmm, ok maybe it just has something to do with battery condition then. A friend of mine, Clayton, who used to post here a little has had two 01 Insight's and it seemed that with both of them if we let them sit in auto stop for maybe two or three minutes it would trigger a recalibration whenever it started back up.

Gotta love backing batteries in Arizona sun.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Just reviewed tha thread and didn't see whether or not an IMA reset was tried.

Its always the first diagnostic step when strange IMA SoC behavior appears. Won't always fix it though. ;)

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... orage.html

The other replies in regard to city driving and not maximizing every possible CHRG opportunity and or expecting too much ASST for the available CHRG opportunities is a good possibility too.

And you could also try the headlights on trick. Simply turn'em on for higher hidden CHRG and for most driving patterns a higher overall SoC.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its always the first diagnostic step when strange IMA SoC behavior appears. Won't always fix it though.

Thanks, I'll try that this week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts