Honda Insight Forum banner

40 mpg?

6K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Garrydhu 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2013 Insight back in March that had about 44K miles on it and the car is in really good shape however, I'm not getting the mileage I anticipated. I do practically ALL highway driving and when I filled my tank yesterday, I had traveled 310 miles and the car took 8.1 gallons of fuel. That's roughly 40 MPG. And that's highway. I am running the AC but does that make that much of a difference? Also, my range indicator said that I only had 35 miles left but yet it only took 8 gallons of gas. Is this typical? Can I count on an additional 70 to 80 miles after the range indicator says I'm at 0?

#3 ·
Wrong forum. You have a 2nd generation Insight.

A/C makes a difference. I find I lose 10-20mpg on my Insight - can be from 80-100mpg down to 70-80mpg at the same speed.

If you want to improve economy, slow down. Reducing speed dramatically improves fuel economy. Also, add air to your tires. I run about 45PSI in mine, but some members on here run 60PSI or even as high as 100PSI in the case of one particularly interesting case. It's diminishing returns above 45-50, but the difference is dramatic between, say, 30 and 45.

#4 ·
Thread moved to 2nd Gen.

Sam

#6 ·
#7 ·
1st post

have 2014 insight going on 3 years now, getting 41mpg's consistently...just turned over 9000 miles recently. don't drive far leave a/c on all the time, think it gets better that way...don't see drop off...don't drive if there is any salt on the road, have 4wd for winter, gets about 14mpg's ,,,hate to fill up costs $50...hope to get good insight from insight forum in the future.....

#8 · (Edited)
I’ve had a lifetime avg of 49-50 mpg with my 2010 Insight EX Nav (96K miles), and it takes dedication and a strategy to get that. Avoid short trips/errands- those kill mileage. Choose routes that you can maintain long stretches of steady speed @40-55 mph (that isn’t always freeways) and anticipate stops/traffic lights in advance to coast in. If on freeway, find a vehicle going at slower to speed to follow so traffic is not blaming you. ? Never compromise safety for mileage though. Best way to get “feel” for high mpg driving is using the instant mpg reading on Driver Info Center. See how much difference a “feather “ touch change in pressure affects it by trying to keep bar to the right of the 50mpg indicator. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
2011 insight .
When my car read 0 range it takes 9 gallons. So 1.6 gallons remain. Figure 60 miles range remain. AC reduces by about 4 mpg. I only get 35mpg if I have luggage in trunk and a bikerack and bike hanging ofg the back. Sometimes trip computer gives wacky results. Usually get 3 mpg worse than it says.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
It's gotta be speed, low tire pressure, non Low Rolling Resistance tires, big loads, wrong oil in the crankcase, bad alignment, bad gasoline, dragging brake, bad 12v battery, big head winds? A combination of some or all?

I just did a 53 mile trip into South Portland, Maine yesterday in single number temperatures above zero. I reset the trip/mpg because it was so cold and wanted to see what the Insight display would indicate. Ended up going in via interstate at 67 mph and returned on back roads 45 to 55 mph. It's a pretty hilly route both ways and there was a little bit of a southeast wind that I bucked on the way down the interstate.

Ended up with and indicated 49.9 mpg reading which would put it in the 47-48 mpg real world range. I inflated my tires last week to cope with the expected cold air, so pressures were probably 37 psi front and 36 psi rear. I have OEM tire sized Firestone Champion Fuel Fighters that have allowed the same MPG numbers that the original Bridgestones produced.

The lowest MPG numbers I've ever measured on my 2013 Insight is about 47. That was in dead of Winter. Spring-Summer-Fall numbers consistently stay 52-57 mpg. Those figures are trip measured miles traveled to fuel added to tank at fill up. Not the MID indicated MPG.

So I don't quite understand 40 mpg, even with the A/C running.

#11 ·
If you drive primarily on the highway and need to go fast then you will need to consider aerodynamic improvements to help with MPG. Adding a boat tail will make the largest difference but it is a sacrifice few are willing to make. There are lots of other minor things that can be done that will help. I'm sure there are good resources here but also consider ecomodder website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.