Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Somethings wrong with that car, or the person who owned it beat the balls off of it all the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I remember when I received my Insight, it had a lifetime milage of 48 MPG !!!! The car had 8500 miles on it, when I bought it. Now I have 54 MPG, it took me 5K to change that. But during these 5k I had a 75 MPG in wintertime. I am aiming this week to get 91 MPG, which I had yesterday, my new personel record, yeheeee......al due to outside temp changes, now 54F.

·
Registered
140 Posts
...and it's a non-AC car, so they can't even claim it was the Georgia summer heat that pulled it down. Probably someone bought it and drove it like a normal car without bothering to use all the "tips and tricks" I know when I first started to drive the insight, my habbit from the old 5-speed days was to pop the tranny in neutral when coasting to a stop and be ready for what ever gear I needed to start rolling again, or already be in neutral for the stop. That kills the IMA battery pretty quick though because it doesn't get any regen. This car probably has a big slug of 10W-30 sludge in the crankcase and 25psi tires all the way around, too.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
My guess is the tires are some cheap wide off the shelf ones inflated to 25psi. I did sit in a car that lmpg was 45 once. It had some no make 185 series tires which were evidently underinflated. This was also the car that literally had a hole worn through the carpet by the pedals and cigarette burns in the seats.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Both of those cars look fairly good to me. Some pretty nice prices too!! I suspect that they were both driven mostly in the city and both driven hard.
I bet if one was to reset the lifetime fuel meter, they would see at least 55-65 miles per gallon out of their driving techniques... : ) I would probably even recommend those two cars to SinisterCRX, although I bet an Insight could be found closer to PA., and the trip to pick up one of those e-bay vehicles would be annoying.

Martin
Recycled
2000 5 Spd

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmm, the battery meter on that 31.5 one is pretty low too. That seems contradictory to me. I drive my Insight pretty hard but I still get ~60 MPG and the battery meter is generally within a few bars of full.

·
Registered
652 Posts
31.2 with 20K miles. The only time I have heard of mpg values that low was someone racing their car. The funny part is they mention record setting mpg with such a low lmpg. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
700 Posts
Rick said:
Ohh wow, I looked at the auction, it's got the oem tires! Anyways, there's an even worse one now that holds the new record for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... otohosting

I could be wrong, but it appears the lmpg is 31.2 in this picture!
Rather than just drive hard, I believe you would actually have to TRY to get mileage that bad. Or something is seriously wrong here. Even if the IMA is non-functional, it would do much better than that. :?:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___I could see it (32 lmpg) if the guy or gal didn’t give a damn what his or her mileage was … 100% city driving in a very hilly area. Autostop disabled w/ either full A/C engaged at all times or the temp sensor disconnected and he is always into the IMA from light to light or sign in first and second gear only … Take a look at the pic. It sure looks city-urban to me? A run into the country at 90 + mph average every now and then would probably do the same? In any case, it would only take a short ride to see if this Insight is still capable of decent numbers or if it had been beat so bad as to make it junk … Maybe press up whatever tires are clad before hand (if they are RE92’s) and check the oil level before hand as well … For all we know, he is running 15W-50 w/ 20#’s in the tires as well? You know, to make it last longer and for a more comfortable ride :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1sw1l3f3][email protected][/email:1sw1l3f3]

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can get better MPG in my CRX driving it hard than that guy does now (with the 31.2 MPG).

·
Registered
569 Posts
cakley said:
Probably the worst MPG ever!
:shock: :shock:

Not the worst. There is one on Ebay right now with 86350 miles and a lifetime MPG of 38.5 :!: It is a CVT, however the header claims 70MPG. I emailed the guy and asked where he got 70MPG when the lifetime MPG is 38.5, but I haven't heard from him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ME TOO - 41 MPG !!! AND now it's jerking - stuttering!!

I was so proud to be a Hybrid owner - 3 years ago. I was told the mpg would increase after the car has been driven a bit. After about 3000 miles...the digital mpg reader went from 40 - to 41 - and has stayed there ever since - throughout all the 22300 miles I put on the car.
Despite - extremely regular maintenance at same honda dealer, driving slowly, gently, in constant 60-70 degree ocean side temps in southern california, constantly checking tire pressure....etc...

I don't like to complain....I appreciate Honda for providing the Hybrid technology....so I figured either the mpg meter was broken....or....the mpg I was getting was good enough for me.

AFter a couple years, Insight started to stutter and jerk at low rpms....had service guys do test drive....they couldn't 'duplicate the problem.' Oh well.....if I have to live with that, so be it. But troublesome....cause it's getting worse....

But recently - needing more room - I planned to buy a Honda Civic Hybrid 4 door - and sell my Insight.

Had lots of potential buyers answer my ad for Insight....so I went ahead and bought Civic. Folks came to test drive my Insight - woudn't buy it - cause damn car is now jerking - OBVIOUSLY - and CONSTANTLY.

Honda revokes my no money down loan for Civic - cause I still own Insight - takes every penny I have on credit card - to pay the 20% down on Civic to keep my interest rate from shooting up.

I take Insight back to dealer - and LEAVE IT THERE FOR A WEEK - so they can hopefully - DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM!.

Oh that - they say - HONDA SAYS THAT JERKING is NORMAL for these cars. NORMAL!!! Normal for it to NOT be there for the first couple years, but get progressively WORSE over time!!!

WHAT the HELL. I'm ready to sue. I hate to do it - cause I want to support those who brought out the Hybrid technology.....but I'm a poor little working stiff - who could barely afford to buy the $21,000 Insight in the first place, or the $21,000 Hybrid Civic!

Moreover - I've shown extreme dealer service loyalty - paying them for every bit of service, maintenance...that was recommended - and now they acted like I was an idiot when I suggest that it sounds like I have a serious fuel injection problem....and am not getting better gas milage!

Shouldn't these people OFFER suggestions! Shouldn't theyl tell me about RECALLS - for my car - and SUGGEST to me that I have the fixes done??
NO - apparently - from what I've been reading - recall and warranty work doesn't PAY well - so they DON'T SUGGEST S**T - IF IT'S A REPAIR, OR SERVICE THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE COVERED UNDER YOUR WARRANTY.

Class Action Anyone? I've checked with lawyer and lemon laws already - we all clearly have a case. I'm just still hoping to can figure out how to fix these issues on my own - or at other service station - before I have to take that route.

NOTICE how HONDA does NOT allow consumers to see copies of their SERVICE BULLETINS.........

ALso - I've had a zillion other little problems too. None was too serious - all Honda has fixed thus far - except the CLUNKING sound I hear after the first time I have to hit the brakes, when the engine is cold.

They couldn't duplicate that either apparently - but when my service guy told me I needed - a bunch of new brake work that my warranty didn't cover - I paid for all that without question - of course.

Maybe I've been too damn nice.

I'm losing $650 a month for the Insight car payment, insurance, and parking spot for it - and hours of my time spent driving back and forth to service station - while trying to figure this out!!!

Any suggestions.......offers to represent me in court...would be appreciated.

:cry:

·
Registered
569 Posts
One on Ebay now with 49.5 on 81,000 miles. I asked why the mileage was so low. He answered back, "I'm not sure. Perhaps it's done a lot of idling recently, I don't know".

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Probably has cheap cruise control...

You know, cheap cruise control = a brick on the accelerator... :lol:

Nah, that might have worked on the old VW buses back in the '60s... this has to be someone who doesn't know or care the least bit about driving an Insight.

Or doesn't know how to release the hand brake... :shock:

·
Registered
804 Posts
To get 41 mpg in a 5-speed Insight, I'd have to stay off the freeways, making like the Domino's pizza delivery, full-throttle all the time. In other words, abusive driving. Keeping the A/C in the mode autostop can't shut it off would also hurt mpg.

I'm skeptical that bad driving alone could get 41 mpg, but the kind of driving I described would clog the fuel injectors. Aggressive stop-and-go driving would force frequent battery recalibrations.

Dallas is probably a lot like LA in driving conditions. At least 75% of my driving is freeway and I've gone from 48 to 56.4 mpg lifetime:

- I can't picture below 50 mpg doing mostly freeway driving in Dallas or LA
- Only way I can imagine Dallas/LA drivers getting below 50 mpg is mostly non-freeway driving with a lead foot.
- I would have a difficult time getting under 45 mpg even if I tried. It would take a lot of stop-and-go traffic for that to happen.
- My 1988 CRX HF seldom got under 40 mpg - until it suffered a very bad tune-up that nearly ruined it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just another thought: jerking does not happen much, but I'm usually doing heavy acceleration in too high a gear.

Is there an independent mechanic that has done work on Insights in Southern California? If anyone in the US has one, it would be S. CA.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts