Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
599 Posts
To get 41 mpg in a 5-speed Insight, I'd have to stay off the freeways, making like the Domino's pizza delivery, full-throttle all the time. In other words, abusive driving. Keeping the A/C in the mode autostop can't shut it off would also hurt mpg.

I'm skeptical that bad driving alone could get 41 mpg, but the kind of driving I described would clog the fuel injectors. Aggressive stop-and-go driving would force frequent battery recalibrations.

Dallas is probably a lot like LA in driving conditions. At least 75% of my driving is freeway and I've gone from 48 to 56.4 mpg lifetime:

- I can't picture below 50 mpg doing mostly freeway driving in Dallas or LA
- Only way I can imagine Dallas/LA drivers getting below 50 mpg is mostly non-freeway driving with a lead foot.
- I would have a difficult time getting under 45 mpg even if I tried. It would take a lot of stop-and-go traffic for that to happen.
- My 1988 CRX HF seldom got under 40 mpg - until it suffered a very bad tune-up that nearly ruined it.

· Registered
599 Posts
Just another thought: jerking does not happen much, but I'm usually doing heavy acceleration in too high a gear.

Is there an independent mechanic that has done work on Insights in Southern California? If anyone in the US has one, it would be S. CA.

· Registered
599 Posts
40 psi should not be close to blowing out the tires.

Johnstons' Insight, do you most do city driving? When I'm doing residential driving, the stops make it challenging to get above 55 mpg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.