Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a girl to do....

I was so proud to be a Hybrid owner - 3 years ago. I was told the mpg would increase after the car has been driven a bit. After about 3000 miles...the digital mpg reader went from 40 - to 41 - and has stayed there ever since - throughout all the 22300 miles I put on the car.
Despite - extremely regular maintenance at same honda dealer, driving slowly, gently, in constant 60-70 degree ocean side temps in southern california, constantly checking tire pressure....etc...

I don't like to complain....I appreciate Honda for providing the Hybrid technology....so I figured either the mpg meter was broken....or....the mpg I was getting was good enough for me.

AFter a couple years, Insight started to stutter and jerk at low rpms....had service guys do test drive....they couldn't 'duplicate the problem.' Oh well.....if I have to live with that, so be it. But troublesome....cause it's getting worse....

But recently - needing more room - I planned to buy a Honda Civic Hybrid 4 door - and sell my Insight.

Had lots of potential buyers answer my ad for Insight....so I went ahead and bought Civic. Folks came to test drive my Insight - woudn't buy it - cause damn car is now jerking - OBVIOUSLY - and CONSTANTLY.

Honda revokes my no money down loan for Civic - cause I still own Insight - takes every penny I have on credit card - to pay the 20% down on Civic to keep my interest rate from shooting up.

I take Insight back to dealer - and LEAVE IT THERE FOR A WEEK - so they can hopefully - DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM!.

Oh that - they say - HONDA SAYS THAT JERKING is NORMAL for these cars. NORMAL!!! Normal for it to NOT be there for the first couple years, but get progressively WORSE over time!!!

WHAT the HELL. I'm ready to sue. I hate to do it - cause I want to support those who brought out the Hybrid technology.....but I'm a poor little working stiff - who could barely afford to buy the $21,000 Insight in the first place, or the $21,000 Hybrid Civic!

Moreover - I've shown extreme dealer service loyalty - paying them for every bit of service, maintenance...that was recommended - and now they acted like I was an idiot when I suggest that it sounds like I have a serious fuel injection problem....and am not getting better gas milage!

Shouldn't these people OFFER suggestions! Shouldn't theyl tell me about RECALLS - for my car - and SUGGEST to me that I have the fixes done??
NO - apparently - from what I've been reading - recall and warranty work doesn't PAY well - so they DON'T SUGGEST S**T - IF IT'S A REPAIR, OR SERVICE THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE COVERED UNDER YOUR WARRANTY.

Class Action Anyone? I've checked with lawyer and lemon laws already - we all clearly have a case. I'm just still hoping to can figure out how to fix these issues on my own - or at other service station - before I have to take that route.

NOTICE how HONDA does NOT allow consumers to see copies of their SERVICE BULLETINS.........

ALso - I've had a zillion other little problems too. None was too serious - all Honda has fixed thus far - except the CLUNKING sound I hear after the first time I have to hit the brakes, when the engine is cold.

They couldn't duplicate that either apparently - but when my service guy told me I needed - a bunch of new brake work that my warranty didn't cover - I paid for all that without question - of course.

Maybe I've been too damn nice.

I'm losing $650 a month for the Insight car payment, insurance, and parking spot for it - and hours of my time spent driving back and forth to service station - while trying to figure this out!!!

Any suggestions.......offers to represent me in court...would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Sorry to read about your bad Insight experience.

Do a search of these forums for "herky jerky" or "hesitation." The common (and known to Honda engineers but perhaps not to clueless dealer service techs) solution is EGR valve replacement. It worked for me.

MPG in the 40's is stunningly low. I have only gotten MPG that bad in sub-5-mile city commutes in 2nd gear in single-digit (F) temperatures with several inches of snow on the ground and the A/C and defroster blasting away. Under ordinary city driving conditions I cannot accomplish trip MPGs below 50, even if I try, and that's with wider grippier 185/60R14 H-rated tires.

Even if every Insight owner in America had your precise troubles, which they don't, that would still constitute only several thousand people, not exactly a big group for a "class action" suit.

Good luck,

·
Registered
804 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
...MPG in the 40's is stunningly low. I have only gotten MPG that bad in sub-5-mile city commutes in 2nd gear in single-digit (F) temperatures with several inches of snow on the ground and the A/C and defroster blasting away...
My worst ever milage was Dec 2000 when an ice storm turned a 30-mile commute into stop-and-go at 2-3 mph over four hours. The defroster was on and the mpg was 25. This is an extreme situation, but it highlights that getting 41 mpg on a normal commute is hard to do on an Insight in good working order.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
40 MPG seems too low, is it a CVT or a 5 Speed.
I live also on LA, and ever at rush hour traffic I don't get mileage that low, as for the hesitation, it is likely your EGR valve, I ordered mine, but it was back ordered 6 weeks, I took mine out and soaked it in WD40 overnight, it fixed it, and it saved me about $130.
PM me if you need any help.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Re: 41 mpg, worsening stuttering, brakes clunking..class act

hingersoll said:
What's a girl to do....

Moreover - I've shown extreme dealer service loyalty - paying them for every bit of service, maintenance...that was recommended - and now they acted like I was an idiot when I suggest that it sounds like I have a serious fuel injection problem....and am not getting better gas milage!

Any suggestions.......offers to represent me in court...would be appreciated.
First, I think you need to take a deep breath. And duplicate posts don't help either.

The quote above points to one suggestion I have. Perhaps you should visit another dealer. Also, since you obvious found this site, now or sometime before, you will find much information and many people to help you try to fix your problems.

There are many Insight drivers in your area, and I am sure that someone who is possible a little more mechanically inclined would be willing to examine your car. Perhaps a quick test drive will reveal an obvious solution.

I am sure someone will volunteer to help you. If you want help, that is...

edit: whoops, I see Calpod already volunteered. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. I can't help you with a lawyer, but with a lot of class action lawsuits it seems the lawyers walk away with most of the money.

The dealer is full of it. How many dealers have you tried? I would think someone in your area on this list or on Yahoo:honda-hybrid could give a recommendation. You might also contact Honda directly and complain. That has gotten mixed results for Insight owners. Unfortunately some people have had to sue or threaten to sue to get any results.

Has the check engine light come on, either blinking or steady? There are several things that could cause the jerking. Some have fixed it using injector cleaner, but that didn't work for me. One of the most common seems to be a clogged/faulty EGR valve, as Tim mentioned. Replacing this seems to have cured mine, but I was also seeing a blinking check engine light. I somehow got the dealer to replace the EGR valve for free (they've since replaced that service "representative").

Good luck,

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,921 Posts
Seems to me you have a valid complaint if everything is as you say.

What really bothers me is the fact that you have been an INSIGHT owner for three years and now is the first time you have come to the "experts" for advise.

I'm sure if you put out the SOS for help, other INSIGHTERS in the LA area will respond for a "meet and confer" to discuss your problems.

If you can't get assistance, I would glady drive to LA and help you with any advise, suggestions, or possible solutions to your problems.

Don't give up yet, The INSIGHT is a super car, and most problems can be worked out or solved.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Trying a different dealer sounds like the best advise so far.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where is the EGR valve???

Can someone help me identify the EGR valve? Mine's starting to stutter a bit. Thanx! - Dan

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I would like to know if anybody has replaced the EGR valve and still has the old one aroung, I'd like to try it in my car, "fix it", the try it on another car, I think the EGR valve on insights is very active, and since there is no scheduled maintenance on it, it's failing, may have something to do with the lean burn, I wonder if a lot of people with CVT's are getting the same problems.

Anyhow, Hingersoll, the offer still stands if you need help, I think your mileage will improve a lot.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I had good luck with the dealer at Vista Honda in Ventura, CA.

The original poster should be able to get the EGR valve replacement done under the factory warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It seems somebody else was having a problem similar to yours. SIMILER nor the same.

He fixed his problem with a new gas cap.

Well, it did sound like you had hit the end of your rope.

Do you have a Lemon Law in your state?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Long rant, and disappeared. Hmmmm.....

Calpod, did you hear anything from the poster?

Check near a bridge.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Holicow said:
Long rant, and disappeared. Hmmmm.....

Calpod, did you hear anything from the poster?

Check near a bridge.
Thank you for reminding me. Pretty strange the thread-starter has vanished after the initial vent and class action threats. It makes it seem more like she was constantly racing, clogged the injectors, aged the hybrid batteries prematurely. That's what it seems - sorry.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,921 Posts
Interesting Watson, makes you wonder if there ever was a "real" hingersoll.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I hate the front brakes clunking when you apply them as you drive over a bump, like a speed bump. The front tires are jumping and something (I assume are the brakes), clunks. Makes the whole car sound cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
That clunking is the ABS kicking in when you brake over a bump. I understand that our ABS systems are an early generation model (i.e. simple) and later ABS models are better designed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
dunno. Mine occasionally kicks in if I speed over a bump. Its a bit disconcerting because it feels like almost like a hydroplane on dry land.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whoa! I just read this post and realized that I am probably the new owner of the car that started this post. I just bought it two weeks ago. Its red, has 23000 miles, its a 2001 and it had lmpg of 41mpg. Coincidence? Since I have owned the car all I have done is washed under the hood thoroughly and inflated the tires to 45psi and I get 60mpg. People who get low mpg probably dont take very good care of this very tempermental vehicle.

edit: can't spell

1 - 20 of 29 Posts