Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2003 Insight CVT with 220,000 miles. I am only getting 43-45 MPG. I am aware that the CVT model gets worse fuel economy, but not THIS bad. The CVT fluid hasn't been changed in 100k+ miles, so I am doing that this weekend. I am also getting new tires (potenzas) soon too. I a hoping that this will bring it up to at least 50 MPG. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
How much are you using the AC? Are you using Auto or Econ?

Sam

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm running AC (on Econ) everywhere I head as here in TX, hot is an understatement, add 90% humidity & I'll give up some MPG to not look like I just got out of the shower.

That said, my best tank MPG's are normally in late Fall/Early spring when the temps are in the 70's and I see it progressively fall as the temps increase. Add that to the normal highway speeds here are >70mph & I'm happy w/ an avg 50 for a tank this time of the year.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm running AC (on Econ) everywhere I head as here in TX, hot is an understatement, add 90% humidity & I'll give up some MPG to not look like I just got out of the shower.

That said, my best tank MPG's are normally in late Fall/Early spring when the temps are in the 70's and I see it progressively fall as the temps increase. Add that to the normal highway speeds here are >70mph & I'm happy w/ an avg 50 for a tank this time of the year.
For all the mpg losses you have I think you are doing OK.

As a test try slowing down to 2300 RPM or a little slower and see what mpg you can get on a level road, no wind, no drafting, and for a few miles no A/C with the windows closed.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Rabbit:

You should be able to beat 50 ok. My '01 cvt does quite well on a mostly interstate commute, but I drive a bit slow, and my tires are aired up a bit.

In my signature, next to my '01 silver mt, is a link titled 75 lmpg. It goes to a post for several suggestions on improving mpg's. Works for cvt's too.

Keep in mind, new re-92's will hurt mpg's for a bit, about 1k to 1500 miles for break-in, then they will perform as advertised.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a 2003 Insight CVT with 220,000 miles. I am only getting 43-45 MPG. I am aware that the CVT model gets worse fuel economy, but not THIS bad. The CVT fluid hasn't been changed in 100k+ miles, so I am doing that this weekend. I am also getting new tires (potenzas) soon too. I a hoping that this will bring it up to at least 50 MPG. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have a 2001 automatic and see this low milage once in a while. It's normally the tires/tire pressure or the hybrid battery not kicking in. New tires at a higher pressure than recommend will make a huge different. Check the shocks. I just replaced my rear ones. Look at the hybrid battery gauge as I'm wondering if it kicking in. Your car should be on it's second or third battery pack by now. Does it have a grid charger on it? I highly recommend that. Good Luck, and start with new tires and tire pressure.

·
3,641 Posts
Are there owners of other models who expect their car to perform as originally advertised even after 220,000 miles and over a decade of driving?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts