Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a while, but finally progress. Replaced flywheel. Still had loud bearing noise, no movement. Replaced w/ another used cvt, loud bearing noise again, no movement.
Replaced with another trans, finally no bearing howl! (Getting pretty good at cvt remove/replace.)
The current status: Changed out both filters, large one was date coded 08-99. Likely the pan had never been removed, inside magnets were clean as a whistle. New fluid. Now, here is what’s happening. Car moves but it slips + takes a feathered throttle to allow the start clutch to grab. Repeat this, it will grab again as speed increases. With several short test drives, it’s gotten better and better, up to 26 mph, more solid w/ increase, some surging but improvement.
My thoughts are that the cvt sat for a very long time, and likely the start clutch dried out? I have read about the burnishing procedure and asking for advice for how to proceed.
Grid charged the battery, 20 hrs, reading went to 180v. Based on oil change sticker in window, car sat neglected for about 5 yrs. Engine coming back ok, need to service fuel injectors.
Thanks in advance— I really want to see this little red car returned to service!

·
Registered
70 Posts
For the CVT, have you carried out the start clutch recalibration procedure? There are two procedures you have to do, one with SCS mode enabled with the ODBII connector and the other is a coast-down from 40mph. You have to repeat them a few times but the car will find the clutch biting point, re-learn the clutch position and the CVT gear position settings. Search through my past posts and you'll find them.

Your battery voltage is a little high. This is probably from sitting discharged for a long period of time. It'll be ok to get you going, but longer term it'll give you problems and you can make it better with a bit of time and effort. Build one of those light bulb dischargers. Grid charge it for 36 hours and slowly discharge it to 140V, then grid charge it back up for 36 hours. Then repeat the discharge to 120V and grid charge again for 36 hours. Then repeat the discharge to 90-100V and grid charge for 36 hours. Each time it'll reverse the memory effect in the weaker cells and exercise the battery chemistry, which restores the capacity. Do not slam it straight down to 100V in one go, you need to do it in stages. The battery should be much better after that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will be doing calibration this weekend.
Another question— if and when should I do a clutch burnish procedure?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Don’t do it until you’ve got the clutch roughly set correctly. I would probably do it last, see how it pulls away from a standstill, then repeat the two calibration procedures if needed. As I said, it’s a bit of an iterative procedure where you do one and it improves the other, so you kind of go round in circles a few times and it becomes good by the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts