Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 insight with 3500 miles. I have a 14-mile trip to school, 1/3 stop-go neighborhood stop signing and the other 2/3 is 70 mph 10 mile stretch with 4 stop lights here and there, sometimes i get lucky.
*My tire pressure- I have it at about 42 all around, that should go up, but if i drive .2 miles to a gas station will it be all right?
*Driving technique- i like to get up go from a stop, i know that might kill it but i'm a not so cautious driver. Is there any way to achieve higher mpg without driving like to slow?
*Are the accessories that can be bought or other goodies that increase mpg? Also, its been 3500 miles and no oil change, when do i have to start worrying about that.
Thanks for any responses.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Air temperature can make a big difference, so if you are going on shortish trips with quite a bit of stopping before the engine is warm enough for autostop, that will hit your mpg really heavily.

If you are gunning it at the starts and driving aggressively, then that will hit you as well of course.

Bear in mind that there is probably nothing wrong with your Insight, but you have not a super long commute and you are driving aggressively. You are still getting a lot more for your driving style than any other car out there.

I suggest doing your commute every so often where you carefully watch the instantaneous mpg reading and drive 60 mph instead of 70 mph just for fun. If your engine is warm and you are seeing autostop at the stops, then it is plenty warm that you should see the super high mpg (100-150) as your coast in between stops on flats.

You may find it entertaining to drive for max mpg on one trip, and then ignore it on the next one.

Just do a few trips to make sure your Insight is OK. I bet that it is fine.

However you drive, you still will be saving gas over the alternative if you drove some other car the same way!

The most important mods are the 'warm air mods' described in varous posts and web sites. This is for the cold weather. Otherwise, play with your driving style and read about maximum mpg driving in the forum posts and then you can try that and decide if it is something you want to do all the time or just some of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
10 miles @ 70 MPH = 8 minutes 37 seconds

10 miles @ 60 MPH = 10 minutes & 80 + MPG potentials

Slowing down a bit doesn't really cost that much time. And the "highway" segment of your commute is your only real opportunity to increase the trips average MPG. Anticipate the upcoming traffic lights and slow down such that you can minimize the need for a complete stop. Watch the "other guy" in a hurry race to the light. As often as not your careful approach to the light will take no extra time in proceeding through.

"Jack Rabbit" starts don't help much either.

Driving in the high MPG style is a philosophy that has benefits beyond MPG. Slow down a bit, stop and smell the roses.

And remember in the rat race, sometimes the rats win! (ouch) <VBG>

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
There might be "tire / engine / other part" braking in. With some more wear, you might see an improvement. I remember my car was like that in the first few months

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Whew! Another "hot" topic.

Well it depends.

By the book its every 7500 miles. And while its debatable the 3750 interval has been shown (all other variables equal) to more than double _engine_ life. But you won't see the benefit til well in the mid to upper 100K miles. Is it cost effective in the long run? Hard to measure. But I use the more frequent plan and have reaped the benefits with other Hondas over the years.

You really need to spend some time with your owner's manual and use the search feature in here. Its too much to retype! <VBG>

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Cwils; you did not say, but I assume you have an automatic transmission, is that correct? If you are interested in high fuel economy, you need to slow down a bit, and think in terms of momentum. Look far ahead of you and see what the next stop light is doing.
Try reading your owners manual concerning service intervals, including routine oil changes. Bill....

·
Registered
741 Posts
cwils said:
I have a 14-mile trip to school, 1/3 stop-go neighborhood stop signing and the other 2/3 is 70 mph 10 mile stretch with 4 stop lights here and there, sometimes i get lucky.
TWO SEGMENTS (so two different types of advice)
- Slow down the highway segment from 70 to 55 (I suspect that's the speed limit anyway), and you should get 80 mpg on that part.

- Stop-n-go part... my approach is to hit 10 mph in 1st gear and then press the clutch to coast to the stop sign.

- Stop-n-go alternative... another approach is to hit 10 mph, and then shift to 3rd gear to maintain speed until you reach the next stop sign

(EDIT: If you have the automatic cvt version, you can still use the above advice... just shift to neutral when coasting to a stop.)

OIL CHANGE:
You have a lot of stop-n-go, but you also have a highway for making the engine oil nice and hot. I'm sure you could go 7500 miles. Do an oil analysis to verify:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

:D

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have to go along with the others that 42 mpg could be realistic in short, agressive commutes, more so in cold weather or with the CVT version.

Try resetting your trip mpg cruising at a steady 60 mph on the freeway in light traffic. You should get at least 70 mpg in a 5-speed.

I have trips I drive agressively, others I go for maximum mpg. I still don't know how people get 80+ mpg cruising 60 mpg.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I have some long and very slightly downhill (very very slightly) highway stretches where I can cruise along for miles and miles in lean burn at 60 mph. I have never verified, but I think they are slightly downhill as on the way back I never quite seem to be able to hit the same numbers as easily. Maybe there is some wind N-S vs. S-N. Anyway, it definitely is possible, but if you are battling a subtle uphill or wind, it may not happen. Plus, it's with the stock tires up at 50 psi and in warm weather and/or with warm air mods. The warm air mods make a huge difference for me at speeds above 40 mph or so even when the weather isn't really cold.

The best I can say is that one stretch of highway may seem flat as another, but it ain't always so in reality! If you can't cruise at 60 mph and get learn burn in nice warm weather going outbound, one would think you could do it inbound. Or visa versa. Hmmm...

I agree, it isn't hard to hit the 40s if you are driving aggressivly all the time and never making up for it. I'll do it when I feel like it, but then I try to make up for it later on another trip. That's why I think lmpg is good, because it looms always.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Puzzling mpg differences - manual vs. CVT

My CVT Lmpg is 51. My long distance hwy milege actually goes down (contrary to popular belief) to about 47 mpg.

I could understand a manual being somewhat better on mpg; but about double (as reported)??!! The vehicle weight is about the same. The lean-burn as described seems to be the key factor. I just don't get it. If this lean-burn function improves gas mileage so dramatically, why wouldn't all vehicles be equiped with this?

Just pondering.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Lean-burn was eliminated to reduce Insight's NOx emissions from ULEV to SULEV.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ElectricTroy said:
If you have the automatic cvt version, you can still use the above advice... just shift to neutral when coasting to a stop.
This is bad advice. You never want to put an automatic in nuetral and coast. Better yet just take your foot off the gas. The fuel is shut off on the Insight's engine with no throttle input.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Resist:

___I don’t know about all automatics but if you are coming to a stop, regen out of a Hybrid is far to strong and especially so if you have a high SoC. A long coast with the ICE in Autostop or forced is receiving far more fuel economy since you can actually coast for 1/3 - 1/2 mile vs. under regen and fuel cut, a block or two at most.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2aidb8fe][email protected][/email:2aidb8fe]

·
Registered
741 Posts
Resist said:
ElectricTroy said:
If you have the automatic cvt version, you can still use the above advice... just shift to neutral when coasting to a stop.
This is bad advice. You never want to put an automatic in nuetral and coast. Better yet just take your foot off the gas. The fuel is shut off on the Insight's engine with no throttle input.
That advice leads to energy loss in engine pumping. Also bad advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts