Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a manual 2000 insight with 42k miles about 1000 miles ago. IMA battery is working fine but the car has some generic 185/60/14 tires. I’m currently hovering between 45 and 46mpg and I’m wondering if those tires are killing my mileage that bad. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yes,,,and no,, re 92 s are the tire of choice,but wear out quick on cars driven mostly in town with lots of turns,not very good for comfort but plus 10 on mpg easy. Check your belly pans and cold weather killing mpg too.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
+1 to 442.

Yes the tires are killing your MPG to the tune of 8-10. The car was designed for the RE92, so everything else is down hill MPG wise. A heavy generic type tire could easily cost you 10 MPG, and you will never be able to get really good numbers with that tire, but..............

Gas is currently cheap, so look at the tires and see how many miles they have left in them. If it is 15-20,000 miles, you can kinda do the math for ROI in a new set of RE92. 45+ MPG is still pretty good relative to a Ford F150;)

·
Super Moderator
4,795 Posts
Mileage is greatly influenced by how and where you drive. The learning curve is steep. It isn't like any other car you have driven. Of course you want the car to be "right", but the nut behind the wheel is the main factor. Short trips are bad. Stop and go is bad. AC use is bad. Cold weather is bad. Going fast is bad. Headwinds are bad. Etc. And yes, those big heavy tires are killing you.

Sam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I’ve definitely found there’s a learning curve. I’ve learned to not lean on the battery as well as how to keep it charged. When I first got it I was averaging 39 mpg but am up to 45-46 just by changing driving habits.

I forgot to mention until I read it in here that it doesn’t have that cover under the engine either. I’m guessing that’s not helping any either.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Average 2 to 3 mpg for no cover, I would install Scott's famous front one piece pan, he's a great guy and anybody on west coast would do well by looking him up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not only do the RE-92's improve your mpg, but they make your car easier to drive (maintain lean burn). Replaced my RE-92's for Michelins and have regretted it ever since.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
So I picked up a manual 2000 insight with 42k miles about 1000 miles ago. IMA battery is working fine but the car has some generic 185/60/14 tires. I’m currently hovering between 45 and 46mpg and I’m wondering if those tires are killing my mileage that bad. Thanks!
If you are not correcting for the error in distance you travel vs the dash indication your mpg will be off because of the tire size difference between 185 and 165.

My MT car had a lifetime (lmpg) of 47 when I first bought it from the original owner with 175 tires on it. I put a set of RE-92s on it later and picked up about a 5% mpg increase as soon as I changed the tires. After a few tanks of gas I was getting a ~10% total mpg increase over the 175 tires. I reset the lmpg after a year of driving the car and it is now averaging 66 lmpg in town with the right tires on it etc.

What is the mpg lmpg on your car? Does it go into lean burn? What is your typical driving pattern? High speed commuting, stop and go traffic, cold weather etc? All of them kill mpg.

A lot of us are also running more tire psi than normal which helps get more mpg (55 psi front and 50 psi rear is typical). I would not change an older tire to those pressures because an older tire is already stretched to the pressure used up until now. One of my 175s developed the start of tread separation after I started running 55/50 in them.

If your car has over 110,000 miles and hasn't be maintained recently it probably could use a valve adjustment and spark plug change. Are you running the normal 0-20wt oil in the car?

Please fill in a little detail about your car in the avatar area. You'll see that the large majority of us have done so.

That will help people to diagnose any problems you might have with the car. And with luck another Insight owner that is near you might help with any problems you have.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've put 1000 miles on my Insight and am still learning how to drive it for best mileage. If you got this mileage on a long road trip on the highway, then Something is Wrong. If this is around town, then it could be the tires plus not knowing the best techniques.

Or, it may be that Something is Wrong. On mine, the prior owner was getting this kind of long term mileage, and is not an aggressive driver. I've been slowly repairing the car and also not satisfied with the mileage (I have RE-92s reaching end of life). I recently fixed an exhaust leak and now I am getting an engine code for a lean mixture. I'm now suspecting low fuel rail pressure due to a possible leak in the fuel line in the tank (long story, and probably does not apply to you).

Honda Hybrid442 has told me that tires like your 185 60R14 are not going to give you that much a hit in mileage, especially after they break in. (Are your tires properly pressurized?)

I actually really like the 185 60R14 tire size. I once put some Yokohama 185 60R14 tires on a car that originally had 13" "bicycle wheels". I did not know until now that this car weighed only 150 pounds more than my Insight. It cornered like a dream with those tires and a modest shock-and-sway-bar upgrade, which arguably is "stock" for an Insight. So I'm really looking forward to similar tires on the Insight, as it seems that the added cost in reduced MPG is balanced by the substantially lower cost of these tires, with a boost in comfort as a benefit. So beware than an upgrade to RE-92 might disappoint?

I've been thinking of trying to find a local Insight hypermiler to drive around with me, basically call out my bad habits, correct my misperceptions, though @Natalya has offered some good tips recently in the What Did You Do To Your Insight Today thread. Perhaps you can find a member in your area to ride with you, then get some new numbers in both highway and city regimens.

I was really surprised by the power the Insight can put out during acceleration if you take it to 4000-5000 RPM. So if you are driving the Insight for its fun factor (which I had no *idea* it had before I bought mine) then 45 MPG is not so bad.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
I actually really like the 185 60R14 tire size.
185s are pretty thick; that's 2cm wider than stock. A lot more frontal area/rolling resistiance. I went with 155s.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Average 2 to 3 mpg for no cover, I would install Scott's famous front one piece pan, he's a great guy and anybody on west coast would do well by looking him up.
Scott? Who is this guy? My 2005 CVT just trashed all its undercover panels and after calling several sources it's $500 for four engine covers. No shop will install anything a customer brings in so even if I could find this Scott guy, how would I install it? I think I could jack the car up safely and block it well to make enough room.

I'd be okay with losing 2-3 mpg but I'm concerned with road debris flying up and doing damage.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
I’m the Scott guy😀.

Thanks for the referral HH442.

Here is a link to the YouTube video.

You can PM me through the forum, I can also be reached 8:am-9:pm, PST, 909-605-3810.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
No shop will install anything a customer brings in so even if I could find this Scott guy, how would I install it?
That's odd. I know we aren't convenient, but if you were in the Salem area, we'd be happy to install a part you brought in. The only sticky point is that any part failure is the customer's responsibility, not ours. If you don't find another shop up there, and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, think about making the trip down to Oregon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's odd. I know we aren't convenient, but if you were in the Salem area, we'd be happy to install a part you brought in. The only sticky point is that any part failure is the customer's responsibility, not ours. If you don't find another shop up there, and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, think about making the trip down to Oregon.
Yes, it's possible I can make a road trip to Salem OR. I'm 234 miles north. Thanks for the offer. I'll get back to you if I can schedule it. I'll see if I can find a local shop that will take customer purchased parts but I'm doubtful. It's all legal and lawyers and liability BS. I've told them I'll sign a waiver that they're not responsible for failures or warranty, but not an option.

After watching Scott's video I know I could do it myself. It's likely doable with car ramps but I need to check it out.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yes, it's possible I can make a road trip to Salem OR. I'm 234 miles north. Thanks for the offer. I'll get back to you if I can schedule it. I'll see if I can find a local shop that will take customer purchased parts but I'm doubtful. It's all legal and lawyers and liability BS. I've told them I'll sign a waiver that they're not responsible for failures or warranty, but not an option.

After watching Scott's video I know I could do it myself. It's likely doable with car ramps but I need to check it out.
You ought to take a look under the car where the aero panels attach to the rest of the car to see if all the panel mounting tabs are undamaged.

Depending on what "removed" the panels those tabs may be ripped or not usable. With luck maybe someone didn't reinstall them after an oil change and the mounting tabs etc will be OK.

If they are ripped or missing then some sort of substitutes will need to be fabricated. i.e. It will take longer than expected to just mount the new aluminum panel to the car. In that case it would probably be worth your time to do it rather than pay by the hour for someone to figure it out.

I made two wooden car ramps from some 2"x6" boards. Each ramp is basically three different length boards placed on top of each other and held together with a few nails on each layer. For me there is more than enough height under the car so I can work under it with no particular trouble.

The approximate length of the three boards I used for each ramp are (slightly longer is better than shorter):

* Bottom board 36"
* Middle board 24"
* Top board 18"

You have to cut one end of each board at a 45° or less (30°?) angle so the car can more easily drive up the ramp to the top board. Most good circular saws have a way to do that.

When you start to nail each ramp together stand the stack vertically on the square end of the boards to align them. I used a large "C" clamp on the first two boards and nailed them together. Add the last board and nail it to the other two.

You also need to have a stop board at the square end of the ramp to stop the car from driving up and then over the end of ramp.

You have to have enough speed for the car to climb up the steps to get to the top and then hit the brakes quickly to not drive off the top board.

The ramps are very stable because it's no different from the car being on a steep driveway. Make sure to block the rear tires with the brakes on and keep the keys IN your pocket while under there.
---------

About having even a dealer install the panel; a woman who posts on the forum now and then bought an IMA battery from "BumbleBee Battery" [Eli] and her local Honda dealer installed it for $150.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Or.... just jack up the car and use jack stands. I hate ramps.

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
"Rhino Ramps" are a time saver for us old folks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dunlop Enasave tires

My 2005 Insight has Dunlop 165/65-14 tires. Dunlops don't have a very good reputation for cars. How good or bad will they be on my MPG. I have only owned the car about a month. I am only getting currently about 47MPG but the lifetime on the car is about 56MPG.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts