Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my first tank and my display says 46.7MPG but my tripmeter only has 420 miles on it....warning light on now. My commute is 75 miles on way mostly highway (45-65MPH) with some really slow spots. Don't really use AC but I do use radio and heater....Tires at spec. Any suggestions? I'm spoiled by my G1 mileage :razz::razz::razz:

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
In comparison with my HCH2, the EPA estimates and the less-than-ideal commute conditions, it sounds like you're killing it. By "spec" tire pressure do you mean sidewall or recommended? I prefer about 38-40 provided the tire is rated for at least 44.

If you're auto-stop isn't working in the slow spots, dial back the heater use. In winter, I always had my heater set on 65.

10.6 gallon capacity. Fuel lights tend to come on with around 2 gallons remaining. 420/8.6 = 48.8mpg.

I don't see an issue here, particularly for a car that weights 1000# more than a G1.

Maybe fill up and let us know your computed mileage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In comparison with my HCH2, the EPA estimates and the less-than-ideal commute conditions, it sounds like you're killing it. By "spec" tire pressure do you mean sidewall or recommended? I prefer about 38-40 provided the tire is rated for at least 44.

If you're auto-stop isn't working in the slow spots, dial back the heater use. In winter, I always had my heater set on 65.

10.6 gallon capacity. Fuel lights tend to come on with around 2 gallons remaining. 420/8.6 = 48.8mpg.

I don't see an issue here, particularly for a car that weights 1000# more than a G1.

Maybe fill up and let us know your computed mileage.
I'll report back with the calculated mileage. I ran my G1 CVT at 50psi. the G2 is at recommended 33PSI I believe....I got good at driving my G1...any tips on the G2?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Get those pressures up. Pretty much anything that applies to the G1 applies to any other IMA.

The bigger motor moves more air and fuel. With extremely conservative mixed driving, I could squeeze 51-52mpg out of an HCH2 in perfect spring or autumn conditions. Summer and winter were never that high. Limit in-town accel to 2000 rpm, 3000rpm for on-ramps. Use the crap out of the cruise control. Look way ahead and minimize braking, etc., etc.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
"Momentum" and consistant throttle is your goal.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Looking good. In my experience mpg meters are accurate within ±5% on average, so you're a bit off on that, but not by an outrageous amount.

58°F isn't cold, but it's definitely below where I find cars the happiest in terms of mileage.

Again, for a car that weighs 1000# more than a G1 with what sounds like sub-optimal commute conditions, I think you're there (moar tire pressure though).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's usually mid to high 30s when I'm driving to work..... weird I got 53mpg after filling up....75mi home

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The dash readout is just a toy. It gives you some idea of how you are you doing, but it should not be considered accurate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me too!

I was about to post a similar question as I get about the same FE as the OP.
Most of our driving is short hops with lots of hills and twisty roads so constant, steady speeds are nearly impossible.
I feel better knowing the car's mpg's are at least in the ball park.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just finished my second tank and I think that I'll be getting a little better fuel mileage. I drive about 900 miles a week. I have 150 a mile a day commute. Six days a week for now. I'll report back when I fill up today. Now if I could just find a way to make the seats a little more comfortable. It is really hurting my back and I'm almost thinking of trading the car in they are so uncomfortable..... Other than that I love my G2

·
Registered
831 Posts
Honda seats are usually pretty good. I've always found an angle that my quirky back finds comfortable. You may be a candidate for lumbar bolster with that longish commute.

No info on car, miles on the odometer, type of tires, load that you normally carry in the car. With your commute, you should easily be able to get around 50 mpg or more.

Keep loads light as possible, keep tires (cold) inflated to around 40 front and 38 rear at least if the tires are rated for those pressures. A good low rolling resistance tire will help a lot, just like good wheel alignment.

Stockton, CA isn't known for it's tough Winters. I drive in Maine. Winter's here use to be cold. I hardly use much heat in the car since I go out the door dressed for Winter conditions for temperatures you would hardly see in your area... like temperatures below zero Fahrenheit kind of stuff. That's what we consider chilly, here.

It's actually a very mild 40 degrees above zero here today, so hardly what we think of as "Winter". Our normal high daytime temperature today would be around 26 degrees. We don't do long cold periods anymore. We haven't even dropped to our normal high at night the last few days. So, what you consider a Winter climate out there would be nice mild mid Spring weather here. If you dress appropriately you could forgo using very much heat, and leave that fan rolling at a 1 or 2 bars.

Proper oil grade is important for this engine. And don't forget to make sure that the engine's air intake plenum is clear of debris and that the air filter is clean.

Other than that, it's all up to the pilot. Smooth driving, easy as possible on the accelerations and looking ahead far enough to be able to see slow downs so you can ease off the gas and allow as much slowing without stabbing at the brakes as possible.

When I commuted in a typical city environment, it didn't take me long to learn that leaving early to allow plenty of time for the commute really helped, because I didn't have to drive a mad pace. Since I launched a few minutes earlier, I also avoided a lot of the heaviest rush hour traffic. I even discovered some less traveled side roads that were actually faster than the stop and slow go of the normally over congested Interstate portions.

I don't use my Insight when there is snow a salt on the road here, but I do drive it when the roads are clean and dry. We took a trip to Florida to help out some family members in December, and when we returned 3 weeks later, roads were messy and temperatures were cold, so I did a driveway big battery charge. With only 6 miles since filling the tank, my MPGs dropped to single numbers on the display. After a couple of drives, of 35 and 65 mile lengths, with some fast interstate travel for 20 miles on one of them and all done in 20-30 degree temperatures, my Display perked up to 48 mpg. It will continue to climb as I use this tank up.

In Winter 50 to 52 mpg is my norm. Spring, Summer and most of Fall it's easily up in the mid 50s. I don't track with the display. I divide miles by gallons at each fill to get the numbers. This car can produce some efficient travel for it's size. G1 was a totally different animal. Too bad Honda gave up on that car.

Don't think you're doing that badly on the MPG front. You should be able to get those MPG numbers up a bit, especially once your weather moderates by the end of this coming week. Hang in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts