Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have been reading about sodium glass batteries that can also do that coming in 2022 . A woman named Bragga is responsible for the break through. And graphene Technology is supposed to be three times better than lithium chemistries. Toyota cars will get first shot at it in 3 more years.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Good LiFePO4 cells or SCiB LTO cells , with active cooling , can both do the first 0-80% Of charge in ~6 Minutes .. ie ~10C charge rate .. but they should slow down for that last top ~20%.

Accoridng to the linked article .. 0-80% is what they are talking about .. not a full 100% charge.

A ~4,000 Lbs car with ~300 Miles @ ~3miles per kwh means ~100kwh .. in ~5 Minutes would need an average of ~12C rates .. which would be ~1200 kw (aka ~1.2MW) .. which is a crazy amount of power (really big plug/wires) .. like the combined electrical service for about ~30 normal houses worth of power.

But the article claims "The company says that the cells don’t require active cooling" .. for electrical power .. and no active cooling .. no .. that will not be possible .. with Active cooling .. yes.

I only see 2 ways to get that kind of rate, without active cooling:

#1> Battery swap .. which isn't 'charging' .. so shouldn't be described as such.

#2> Flow battery .. so .. it isn't electrical connection to charge .. instead they pump a replacement fluid .. and the fluid carries with it the battery 'recharge' .. but those have (historically) had lots of application problems.

---
Capacitors could do the charge rate .. but not the ~4,000 Lbs car ~300 Mile range.

I'd be highly skeptical until more information is confirmed by a real world vehicle demonstrating said feature.

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts