Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to confess that when I bought my three year old Insight (already nick-named Shreik because of the colour), the first thing I did was reset the lmpg which was at 65 lmpg. For the first couple of days performance was mixed with some hesitation when trying to run “lean burn”. My local Honda dealer soon put it right after swapping out the EGR valve (and in warrantee too). Now it’s as smooth as silk, at all throttle positions.

Since then using Slip streaming / Drafting returned the best ever mpg for me of 108mpg over a 90 mile all motorway journey trailing an unusually fast box truck with sustained speeds up to 90mph.

On a daily basis commuting to work on our narrow British country roads, at modest speeds and rarely able to exceed 50mph as we now have so many speed cameras, I return between 100 and 105mpg over a 32 mile journey to work and around 90mpg returning home. All this equates to approx 80mpg if my gallons were US in size. I was very pleased with the above results especially as I weigh in at 280Ibs.

Now after around 3000 miles my lmpg has settled at around 83.2 (*0.833 = 69 lmpg reference US gallon size)

The US gallon (approx 0.833 of 1 Imperial gallon) is smaller because back in history you guys adopted the Queen Anne wine gallon (defined as the volume of a cylinder of 7inches diameter and 6 inches long, or 231 cubic inches), whereas we eventually adopted the Imperial gallon, which was defined as the volume of 10 pounds of water. Now we have been forced to adopt the liter when buying our fuel (approx 4.545 liters to 1 Imperial gallon and 3.785 liters to 1 US gallon) but still our cars are advertised using mpg examples. That's Brussels poking it's nose into our British ways.

At the moment the only modification carried out on my Insight are 50psi tire pressures and disabled power steering, The car now feels more like a classic British sports car and is a pleasure to drive. Planned modifications include going LPG/CNG, Battery regeneration tricks and maybe even considering going to electric coolant water pump.

My only regret in buying this car, originally as a present for my wife, is that She hates it. Her criticisms are: “what!!! colour is that? (citrus yellow)“………………it’s got three pedals!!!”………….”the drivers seat is too low!!!”………………. “the pedals are too high”……………..“it’s does not have a mirror on the passenger side”……and………”it doesn’t even have a clock!!!” .

Well I can’t fault it………………….so I suppose I’ll have to use it………………..that’s OK with me.......................

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Three pedals.......only a problem if it's an automatic. If the seat is too low shim it up, but you will need some hardened steel metric socket head cap screws to do it safely. Order a North American sun visor with a mirror on the other side. Turn off the stereo to see the clock.

Wait a minute!!! Ignore everything I just said. You don't really want your wife to drive the car do you? :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5 Speed lmpg results in US or Imperial gallons???

Question to b1shmu63

What contribution does the KC Max Regen mod and Jack's Max AC mod have on improving mpg, and is your lmpg of 70.3 reference the smaller US gallon if it is your almost matching my results of 69.3 lmpg (ref. US Gallon) if so, I must be doing something right for a new Insight owner......

The radio fitted on this UK model does not revert to a clock in any mode including "off" (unbelievable)

And yes your right....I don't want my Wife to drive it now........She can keep her Peugeot 106 auto at 30 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
My 70 LMPG is good but certainly not stellar like some hypermilers. I can't say what effect the mods will have on mileage as I haven't been able to test them out. Right now the car is off road while I do more mods. Tomorrow I hope to finish a 4th and 5th gear electric steering defeat mod. I've also been pulling extra wires from the engine compartment to the interior of the car in case I put in a temperature sensing mirror, cruise control and a solar battery assist. I hope to be driving the Insight again in a few days. I'll let you know then. :D

Last year my best mileage was an indicated 96 miles per US gallon over a 40 mile segment. ( I pulled over and took a photo) Guess the Insight is a substitute for having kids? :roll:

If you check out Guillermo's X-cross racing videos you will see how well the Insight performs with good tyres!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts