Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a quick question regarding a transmission oil change. I purchased 2 quarts from honda and started the drain/refill process per the manual. I raised my insight by the driver side by the door only using a jack and stand. When I removed the fill plug first, a lot of oil started pouring out. Then I removed the drain plug and finished draining the rest. Now, when I went ahead and started refilling and emptied both bottles, I removed the fill hose I had attached and some oil poured out but I screwed in the plug before anymore could pour out. I’d say no more than maybe 1/4th of the bottle managed to pour out before I screwed in the bolt. My question is, is my transmission okay? Did I overfill or underfill? I wasn’t sure having it on an awkward incline could be an issue with how much I was supposed to fill or how much managed to drain out before I could rescrew in the bolt. Per the manual, I know it’s supposed to be leveled with the ground so I’m wondering if that’s another factor too.

I did drive the car for a couple of blocks and the shifter felt butter smooth so that’s a plus, I’m just afraid of any long term effects.

·
Super Moderator
1,526 Posts
When the car is level on the lift we use about 1.7 quarts.

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m sure I’m fine but I get pretty paranoid when it comes to working on my car. I’ll buy a bottle to be on the safe side tomorrow and loosen the fill bolt and have the car flat, then remove the bolt from above and top it off with my fill hose. From what the manual says, the oil level is supposed to be right at the edge of the fill hole.

·
Super Moderator
1,526 Posts
Yes it is supposed to be at the bottom of the fill hole. When you fill it, you do so until it starts to dribble. Once it stops dribbling you put the fill plug back in.

Scott

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your trans was overfilled, and you probably overfilled it again. I only used 1.4ish quarts from a drain and fill, on level ground. I gained significant mpg because the previous owner on that car had overfilled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts