Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2000 Insight with 56K.

I'm driving about 35 miles on a highway but only getting about 52 -55 MPG. My average speed is 65 and I'm the slowest one out there. Is this normal milage?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,921 Posts
Tire pressure, weather (cold), and terrain has a lot to do with mileage. There are "numerous" threads on this site explaining everything. Your mileage sounds reasonable for the basic information you have given.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Make sure your tires are pumped up to their sidewall rated maximum. If their not OEM (Bridgestone RE92's) low rolling resistance a 5-7 MPG highway loss is their fault.

Cold weather takes its toll try the cardboard radiator block:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 1854b5a066

Learn how to drive within the lean burn window by letting speed vary slightly (roller coaster the hills). Watch the instantaneous MPG indicator to help learn the technique for the right foot.

If your driving a CVT then low 60 MPG's will be about the max. if you incorporate all the MPG tricks (except speed) that you can read about in this section. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Slowing down to 55 MPH and under ideal conditions of temperature, traffic and terrain a 5 spd. can achieve MPG's in the 90's and a CVT in the 70's or better. YMMV

HTH! :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
knudho, I drive 55-60MPH on routes 9 and 7 on my 60 or so mile commute from WV to Sterling, Va. I've got 90,000 miles on the car. I've been getting 68 to 73MPG on my way to work, 63 to 66MPG on the way home driving a little faster. The cold weather is a killer :!: During the summer I routinely get 80MPG going to work. I have my tires at 49pps and use the cardboard radiator block. Use the "Instantaneous fuel efficiency display" to see what kind of mileage you are getting under different conditions. It's really helped me. Sometimes when I have driven 25-30 miles, my mileage will only be in the 55-60 range thanks to the hills, but by the time I get to work I can usually get it up to the area of 70MPG. What highway are you driving on?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Cold doesn't mean freezing! What may be cold to the Insight for max fuel economy may not seem cold. I find that even in the 50s and 60s when I am driving at highway speeds that is cold (because of the volume of that cool air plowed over the engine). Hence, the warm air mods are the great fix. However, even with them, 65 mph and up takes a big toll.

What are the temps when you are driving? If it's regularly 60s or below, then warm air mods should really help.

Here in CA where I am it rarely gets below freezing, but it is plenty cold enough to hit the mpg figures. The cold engine start slows everything even in 40s and 50s for night temps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
50 -55 MPG

Thanks everyone. My 2000 Insight is a 5 speed which I'm a novice on and I'm using it on I95 south of DC ,lots of rolling hills. It does seem to get better after 25 miles.

I'll try the radiator block and tire pressure, I'm also due for the 60K checkup. The temps have been below 60. This morning I drove in heavy rain and wind and got upper 40's. But earlier this week I kept it under 60 MPH and drafted a truck a little ways and did end up with a 61 MPG trip which is my best so far.

This is a great forum with lots of great input. Someday I hope to acheive the 60 - 75 MPG range as the norm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts