Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current 12V battery is at least 5 years old, and possibly 8, so I’ve put replacement on my “to do” list. Any recommendations? I’ve seen enough people suggesting an upgrade to a group 51R that I’ll probably go that route...and I’m planning some additional stereo upgrades this year, so are there any batteries that would help with the additional power requirements I’m going to be adding (for example, would a “deep cycle” battery provide any advantages)?

·
Registered
622 Posts
just getting a 51r battery will be enough of an improvement in power ... i got a diehard silver and i think it has about 440cca ... the gold has about 540 - same with autocraft and premium grades of interstate, bosch, etc ... a deep cycle isnt necessary ... try an agm

·
Registered
84 Posts
The charging regime of the IMA system is a bit strange and usually it kills off bateries. Given the fact that the engine (almost) never starts using the starter but using the IMA, high cranking amps are not important. Size 51R are common in Golf carts, small engine systems and some UPS. Pick what you can get... Higher capacity and higher cranking amps make no difference in our cars.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The charging regime of the IMA system is a bit strange and usually it kills off bateries. Given the fact that the engine (almost) never starts using the starter but using the IMA, high cranking amps are not important. Size 51R are common in Golf carts, small engine systems and some UPS. Pick what you can get... Higher capacity and higher cranking amps make no difference in our cars.
When you start with a higher capacity battery, it's going to take longer to deteriorate and will thus last longer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I doubt, that there is a lot of difference with the lifespan. If possible, I would rather go for a deep cycle battery, but those aren't made for the vibrations occurring with automotive.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I doubt, that there is a lot of difference with the lifespan. If possible, I would rather go for a deep cycle battery, but those aren't made for the vibrations occurring with automotive.
Perhaps you're right in the mild climate in which you reside.

Deep cycles will still be damaged by the lower charge voltage of the Honda system. Continual storage/operation at < near 100% SoC damage all Pb-acid based batteries.

Here in 45°C Phoenix, with 4 months annually of > 38°C days, batteries die quick deaths. It's rare you get a flooded cell battery to last more than 2-3 years unless the owner is diligent about maintenance of "maintenance free" batteries.

Pb batteries die via continual capacity loss due to cycling, heat damage and sulfidation.

When one starts with 40% more capacity, it takes longer for it to reach the threshold where capacity is too low to reliably operate the vehicle.

I have personally replaced the 151R in 2X HCH2 with 51R that were $10 cheaper. I am still in touch with the owner of one of the vehicles, and he's going on 5 years on the same cheap Walmart battery.

While based on a limited sample size, my experience in an extreme environment with 151R vs. 51R batteries in a 1.3L Honda Hybrid has shown that the 51R represents a greater VALUE due to its longer life and lower cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts