Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm kind of new to this forum but have recently purchased a 2001 Automatic Honda Insight. After driving it for around a week, I noticed that I'm getting around 56.4 MPG. Is this good for an automatic? Or should I be getting more than that?

Plus....I notice that the battery indicator NEVER goes to the top of the dial. I seem to get close...maybe 1 or 2 'bars' short from the top. Is this good? Is it normal?

I'm a good driver and don't accelerate very hard or fast. I'm pretty easy on the car.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

wxman

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's a great start.
Be proud and keep improving by learning from this forum and the above links.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the help.

After reading a few items, here, I'm going to check my tires. I don't believe I've checked them yet!

Plus....does anyones battery indicator read at the top of the scale? Or is it not suppose to? Mine reads about a bar or two 'short' from the 'top notch."

Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Your battery indicator can read at the top of the scale, but it is very rare. Overcharging is bad for the batteries, so it is actually good that you're seeing some room at the top left over.

Mine has only read at the very top after 1) I fully drained it going up a long hill then went back down the other side and fully charged it, or 2) during last winter, very cold in New England, the batteries got force-charged a lot by the engine to warm them up and I often saw a full charge then.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Mine frequently goes to the top of the scale. I live in mountain country, and a 2500 ft downhill is enough to go from near-zero to full. Or even a bit more: charging will generally stop around the last mile.

I've also noticed that I get rather better mileage when it's topped out than when it's even 3-4 bars down. Must be a bit of a trickle charge off the engine even then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts