Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
granted, it's on the display, but 58.6 for the full commute is a personal best.

i recently removed my roof rack, lowered car 2" (df210s) and installed k&n filter.

75 degrees, light ac running

looks like I'm getting over 50mpg over the last 4 commutes, much better than the 43mpg average i have over the last 5,000 miles, though i don't always use econ and occasionally mix in highway driving (or drive as lightly).

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Not bad. Make sure to run tier 1 gas, check your tire psi. Usually after an oil change you get your best mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I find I get better gas milage on the way to work vs. coming home after.

I'm not excited to be going so I take my time.. once 5p hits though it's pedal to the medal to get home!

My car is a VW CC with the 2.0T engine.. one morning I managed to get 37.5mpg on my 25mi commute. Almost unheard of for that engine.

Next week my wife and I get to start commuting together and take turns filling up the Insights gas tank, should be an incredible $ savings!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very nice!!

A partial lower grill block might help break 60mpg. I have rerouted my air intake in an attempt to keep the intake air temperature cooler. This enables me to block more of the lower grill.

View attachment 5098

The intake vent is as close to the upper grill air vents as possible, while still being able to close the hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
157 Posts
Heh yup 😏 I give credit to Cobb for the air intake idea. It has definitely helped keep my engine cooler in this summer heat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool I'll give that a go one of these days.

63.3 on the way home with no AC on. it's a totally level drive with about 10 stop lights, so I'm mostly locked in with cruise at 40 or 50 mph.

any of you using aero wheel covers ? I saw some cool mooncraft ones on a Prius (online). curious to know if that helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my personal best is 72mpg on a level 10 miles with 4 stops and doing around 40mph, echo on, no ac and windows up. It was at a time when there were no cars behind or in front of me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
good job all! when I first got the car breaking 50 was a huge moment...but I felt like I was pokey everywhere I went. today getting over 50 is easy...driving at or above the limits (about 65-70) and my personal best was 63.5 over 30 miles...about 5 miles of that was city to get to and from highway and some mile long hills in between. mind you my personal best was achieved going no faster than 65. this is quite a fun car and getting the high numbers is almost akin to going 80-90 and passing ppl...

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
...best was achieved going no faster than 65. this is quite a fun car and getting the high numbers is almost akin to going 80-90 and passing ppl...
I think this is something people don't understand until they get a car with an MPG readout... it's a numbers competition just like a quarter mile or laps on a track, but you can do it right on the street.

In fact, the other cars/traffic add to the challenge. I'm always more proud of my big numbers when they're on my stop and go commute than random back roads with a 50mph speed limit.

Sam

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think this is something people don't understand until they get a car with an MPG readout... it's a numbers competition just like a quarter mile or laps on a track, but you can do it right on the street.

In fact, the other cars/traffic add to the challenge. I'm always more proud of my big numbers when they're on my stop and go commute than random back roads with a 50mph speed limit.

Sam
completely agree! i tell my friends this all the time and they still don't get it. but I didnt either till I had my own.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find I get better gas milage on the way to work vs. coming home after.
Do you take the same route? I take a different way to work than I do home, because of the traffic flow patterns in the area.

My commute TO work, it takes less time to go a way that has more lights.B/c of the lights, I've never got more than 63-64 mpg (Gen 1 Insight, btw), but on my commute home, which is a completely different route, has much fewer lights. I've got up to nearly 74mpg on the way home. The only downside is b/c of morning traffic, the "return route" takes 10-15 minutes longer in the morning. :/

·
Registered
112 Posts

Sam
Totally! Got my 2013 in January and for the longest time I couldn't wait for warmer weather (and break-in) to allow me to see the 60 mpg mark. Since mid-May, however, I've achieved 60+ mpg on every fill-up over a total of approximately 2200 miles. Current DIC reading is 62.9 at 250 miles. At 200 miles on this tank, I was sitting at 63.9 mpg (DIC), but a series of short errands have eaten into that figure. Not bad for a vehicle with an overall EPA rating of 42 mpg.... And I haven't seen a single additional Insight in my area in the 6 months I've owned mine. I really love everything about the vehicle; can't believe they don't sell better in this fuel-strapped economy. Fun to drive, handles great, comfortable seating, sharp looking, convenient storage. I live on the outskirts of a town of 40,000 and make a dozen trips a week of 5-10 miles round trip, so even on fairly flat terrain, it's not easy for me to attain maximum mpg all the time. I visit my mother every week or two, which is 110 miles round trip with a minimum of 23 stops each way, not to mention slow-downs for people who are turning, etc. Even so, I consistently get 65 mpg on that "commute" if the temp is above 60 and the wind is below 20 mph. Headwinds can be tough, even if they're fairly light, but a strong tail wind is an absolute hoot! At 55-60 mph with a strong tail wind, 75 mpg is definitely possible. My Insight is totally stock, too. I run a small air dam in the winter but remove it in the summer. I do run the tires inflated to 50 psi, and I'm so accustomed to the handling at that pressure that I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sam

yeah i often make that comparison in my mind... that most humans are trying to optimize something while driving, whether to feel faster / stronger than their peers, to get to their destination earlier, or to hit a certain mph on a given road. instead of the measurement being on the speedo or on the clock, we just focus (often intently) on optimizing our mileage.

before having the insight, my focus was more on performance while feeling comfortable with reasonable gas mileage (25-30mpg). i tried getting economy cars but just felt like a drone. the digital display has completely converted me (for nearly 2 yrs now) to driving more sensibly.

in a way, i feel that my consciousness elevates above street level, paying attention to whats happening a half mile ahead so i can adjust accordingly (so my numbers don't drop lol). its somewhat humorous (though also scary) how "in the moment" most drivers are on the road. i personally feel a sense of calm when my sense of "moment" pulls above the fray.

anyway, great numbers folks. I'm at 52mpg on my current tank (133 miles). on the commute I'm getting between 58-61mpg, but driving the kids around town has pulled my figures down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
UK or US it makes a difference

I wish posters quoting mpg could state if they are in the US or UK the quantity of US gallons is different to UK

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well, except for samwichse, who lists his location as the edge of nothing, you are the only poster in this thread that does not list their location in their profile. You can edit that so it shows under your username in all of your posts. As you point out, location matters. U.S. gallon vs Imperial gallons vs KM. Not to mention how differently our cars are packaged in different countries. Warranties vary as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been averaging between 48 -50mpg (real world not the enthusiastic mileage meter on the car). After a recent fillup, I averaged 60mpg(probably 58 real world) for the past two days. Now my conditions were relatively level and less traveled connecting road for my work commute ( I also work through the night, so I am going against traffic for the typical commuter). I was able to do pulse and glide, averaged 50-55 mph (without worry about dragging a convey of pissed off commuters behind me). No mods to the car, minus diligent checking of tire pressure.

You can easily exceed the mileage estimates but it is very dependent of a myriad of factors. Traffic, average interstate speeds, ability to do pulse and glide have to be taken into account. Add some of the mods that Cobb and others have done, and the car's mileage can really improve.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The "problem" is, that to get 50-60 mpg I have to drive like there is no one else on the road, and that does not work on busy I-495 commute when I'm late for work...

If I just drive with traffic and let the quite a few [email protected] drivers pass me for no other reason but to just get one car ahead, I do get solid 50mpg on my about 7miles commute. But if I drive like everyone else, keeping my distance and staying on the fast side of average seed, I get about 40mpg or high 30s.

To get into low 60 mpg I need to be on traffic-free suburban roads doing something like 45 mph ... And I've done it a few times over 20+ mile drives, so entirely possible. Just don't see how I could be reborn to drive like this on da busy interstate and with a completely different attitude (to let everyone else have their way, at my and other's expense, before me)...

So, in real life commute, I'm hovering at the 40mpg mark. Lifetime on the car computer over about 35K miles it shows just over 40mpg, so I gather about 38 actual.

Got no patience, usually, to drive overly conservatively and my commute is not conductive to such style ;)

In short, I trade time for gas:D and more often than not, I save time attaché expense of fuel economy...

Oh, and riding on 50psi tires - no way. That's like riding a road bicycle on a cobblestone road. I've gone down to a out 36-40psi and find that much better (and safer).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts