Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think the gas blend just changed (no more "winter additives"). I also noticed an upward 4mpg since my last fuel up last week, wih not much changes in temp outside. I'm surprized, it's early this year... maybe winter will not last long and the oil companies have better weather prediction tools than the TV weather man ! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is 58mpg considered good in the winter? Because I'm getting better than that, highway-wise, up here in Iowa this winter -- and my Insight has 408k miles on it ;)

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Karen, for our 1st Gen cars, it is decent in our northern climate but with his 2nd Gen that gas mileage is well above average compared to what I'm seeing others on this forum getting with their 2nd Gen cars. I've always been curious what I would get on my highway commute hypermiling the same way I do with my 1st Gen(minus the engine-off P&G due to the CVT) but I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to drive the 2nd Gen for a day.

At 30 degrees and winer snow tires, I can get 60+ MPG going to work and back but too much lower than freezing and 5 short trips to a friends house or the grocery store during a tank and I'm down below 60. With the normal Potenza tires I could get 60+ MPG in February and March with some effort to hold lean-burn as much as possible on the highway.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a Pilot truck stop that sells Hess gas. I stop at truck stops as they are well lit at night and almost always open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cobb,

How the hell are u getting that kinda mpg?

I live in Chicago and I get BEST 35ish MPG in the city ...

Granted, I don't "hypermile" because I don't know how to (if anyone has any good links regarding that I would appreciate it).

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can get that by reseting trip and going downhill. I can get 70 for a short while but it's not what you are averaging per tankfull. My tanks have been averaging 43 this past winter. Even tho the midi has been showing 45-46.
Now that it's warming up a bit I have been fighting to hold the midi at 50-51. I wonder what the fillup will average?

·
Registered
188 Posts
For hypermiling advice and information I recommend you start at the link below and then follow up with related articles on that site. There is a lot of good information about getting the most out of IMA equipped vehicles there.

CleanMPG Previews the 2010 Honda Insight-II - CleanMPG Forums

With the right routes and careful driving with full knowledge of how your vehicle works you can get startling numbers. I drove to work this morning (5spd 2002 Insight) in the Minneapolis area with the temp at 37F (no wind) and arrived with an average of 94.9mpg over 15.0 miles. Yesterday it was only 27F and I had a 6mph headwind and achieved 88.8mpg to my parking slot. (The route isn't downhill -- I achieved 102.4mpg going home yesterday at 48F)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tanks average 51-52mpg in winter with combined driving I do. Resetting the trip might not be a bad idea to do to see how you can change your daily commute.

You can get that by reseting trip and going downhill. I can get 70 for a short while but it's not what you are averaging per tankfull. I wonder what the fillup will average?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts