Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I took a piece of semi rigid clear PVC sheeting, cut it to a slightly larger size than the lower opening on the front air dam/ bumper and taped it to the bumper with clear packing tape. I used the existing two license plate mounting screws to secure the piece on the outside of the bumper.

Then I went out on the road and tested it. I reset the mpg computer and I then drove it at a very carefully controlled speed of 65 mph for 10 miles. My mpg was 64 mpg.

At this point I pulled over. removed the piece drove back to the same starting point and repeated the test in the same direction. New average mpg was 58 mpg.

I really feel this improvement is real, due to drag reduction. I've driven the car in 90 degree heat and I notice no cooling issues. It looks a bit nasty with the tape and all, but based on this test, I plan to fill the lower opening in with foam and then add fiberglass / paint to make it look close to factory.

Any thoughts on this mod?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It sounds more like

The radiator block effect. Calpod uses a mod on his bra to get the same effect. I had similar bump when i put the radiator block in earlier in the year, and hope to do so again when I put it back in this weekend. It was too warm up till now in LA

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm surprised that with all the exstensive R&D that went into developing the Insight including wind tunnel testing, that Honda wouldn't have designed the front end differently if they were able to gain an additional 6 mpg as you have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
:twisted:

Perhaps a composite "insert" could be made for winter months. Then, as the summer arrives, could be removed. I nice carbon composite insert would not only be easy to remove once a mounting system was devised, but would look sweet too. 8)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was thinking about this the otherday, it would be really easy to cut a form to fill the intake out of regular run of the mill block styrofoam, then just cover the exposed side with something more cosmetically pleasing.

You could literally make the intake totally disappear, if you fill it flush up with the rest of the bumper and the lower airdam, plus the styrofoam is unlikely to damage the finish on the bumper.

·
Registered
147 Posts
perfect, with a carbon fiber cosmetic shell, or even fiber-glass, as it is easier for DIY jobs... kits can be bought pretty easily to fiberglass a styrofoam insert.

Somebody try it and see how well it worx :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts