Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back the Gauntlet was throw and the Challenge was accepted;
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/buy-sell-insight-related-items/24095-00-06-oem-ac-system-new-complete-box-2.html#post267833

Here is the scheduled Challenge/Competition.

On June 29th at 3AM three Insighters will embark on a 634+ mile journey from the area of Sylmar Ca. to San Jose Ca......and back. I guess you could also call it a "Parts Run".
The start and ending location will be at the STD gas station, 14089 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar, Ca.

It will also envoke running mostly Freeway: I-210, I-5, up the dreaded "Grapevine" then into San Jose via Ca.-152 to pick up parts.
On the way back the INSIGHTERS again will have to climb to the top of the "Grapevine" and finally end up where they started from. That should be around 5-6 PM on the 29th.

The Insights gas tanks will be "Topped Off" at the start of the challenge and the FCD gauge will be used for the indicator of the MPG obtained.

Anyone who wants to join on the Challlenge may do so.

If you make the trip and buy a grid charger from Jeff in San Jose, I WILL GUARANTEE a $20.00 certificate off the purchase price.
Maybe they can make it on a tank of gas....?

The final results will be posted here on this thread.......6/30/2013.
Similar to this competition:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/7304-turbocharged-insight-2.html#post69578

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. I'm getting a few little things done on my car this week, readying it for the trip.

Last week I caught a rock in the windshield. To remove the windshield is a bit of a process, the hard part is the roof edge moldings. On my cay the previous owner had some type of roof rack installed at one time that scratched the moldings. While they are off I decided to paint them and the roof, that is what I am doing today.

Also, when the windshield was cut looses I noticed the headliner was beginning to come loose, it is out and will be at the interior shop in the morning when they open.

Pulling the headliner made it easy to remove the antenna and the rear washer nozzle. For painting the roof I have also pulled the rear hatch off the car, when I paint I will be able to spray the hatch upper jamb area at the rear of the roof so there is not tape line.

Over the next few months I will paint the balance of the vehicle.

Lastly, I have a set of the brake friction reduction springs to install on the front brakes prior to the trip.

The last couple tanks of fuel have averaged about 56mpg with the A/C on most of the time for normal commute. Looking forward to a mostly highway run to see what we can do.

Off to the shop to get the roof and moldings painted.

Will have a few late nights this week.

Scott

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi Scott, what paint you are using and what equipment, can you post before and after pictures and some tips if others want to do this. I have a silver one with some dings around and wish to paint it , but have heard the pearl effect paint is difficult to be done at home so was thinking to paint mine , grey black or white ... Would love to be able to paint it silver , close to the original "silverstone metallic" paint...

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
I did take some pictures with my I phone, I need to figure out how to post them.

I will start a different post as I don't want this one to drift to far off the topic. Thank you for your interest my car is also silver.

I know I did this at this time because my windshield is being replaced, but I think I'm trying to make the car slide through the air better.

I have to come up with something to attempt to have a chance against Willie. He's only got about 300,000 more miles driving his Insight than I have in mine.

I know it's short notice, but if anybody else wants to come along, the more the marrier.

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
GS:
You mean mph vs "75mpg" don't you?
It will be really hard for me, especially on the trip back. Maybe we will come back via 101 and make it a "Sightseeing Tourist" run.

The closer I get to home, the faster I drive.

Tomorrow (Monday), I will be conducting a 100 miles "test" drive through the mountains of east county, San Diego with the 4th injector disconnected. This will be "Training" for the upcoming CHALLENGE.

Later
Willie

·
Registered
476 Posts
I drive by looking at the fcd instead of the speedometer. Going to work I can usually keep it at 100mpg (around 40-50mph), but heading to socal I do 55-70mph depending on my mood. Usually I try to keep the fcd locked in at 75mpg.I ease off the throttle during nox purge cycles to maintain 75mpg, then get harder on the throttle when lean burn comes back on.

You use premium gas for the turbo, right?

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, regular....unless I know I will be running mostly in "boost" mode.
I drive mainly by the timing on the OBD gauge.
I'm out of here, don't want the thread to "drift"..

Willie

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Did you get a chance to do your practice run with your 4th injector disconnect?

Scott

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Think you guys will arrive around noon?

edit-
Where's Dandism? I want to see the citrus he got from that collector.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
GS;
Hopefully around 9-10 AM.

I don't recall Dandism.......Got a link?

I weighted all the extra stuff I carry on my trips vs. what the std. G1 comes with and it weights out at 32 lb. 6 oz.
Not much of a difference or handicap.

Ready to go on the CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

Willie

·
Registered
476 Posts
Possible change of plans. I have someone making the drive up from Ventura County to buy my MR2 on Saturday. He says he'll be arriving early, but we don't have a time set.

Someone want to PM me a phone number? I can text or call when I get done and see if you guys are still there.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PM sent.....!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Got the PMs. I'll let you guys know if I can make it.

I'll also tell the guy he can caravan with you. Don't think he was planning on leaving at 3am, but we'll see. I'll give him a link to this thread.

edit- btw, Dan bought this car, probably the same week that I bought mine. (We're both MR2 owners)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Since you guys will be leaving soon, I guess I'll go to bed! I'll probably still be snoozing when you arrive at Jeff's but I'll try to hurry over.

The guy that was supposed to buy my car backed out (nothing new), so he won't be coming.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here is the results of the MPG CHALLENGE.

Started on 6/30/13 and finished on 6/30/13 after A VERY LONG DAY.

1. Andy @ 63.2 mpg
2. Willie @ 58.2 mpg
3. Scott @ 52.1 mpg

Problems encountered:
A. IMA/CEL light shown "twice" on one vehicle......Problem solved.
B. Water temp on one vehicle went to 240F..SB across the "Grapevine"...Problem solved.
C. One INSIGHTER got lost......Had to drive app. 20 miles to get back on course.
D. One vehicle ran out of gas app. 3 miles from the "Finish". aka Start.
E. It was hot-hot-hot....Problem Solved.

Care to guess who had what problem.
Need clearance from Drivers to post that info......PM sent.

I posted MY results at this thread;
"Turbocharged Insight", p-41 Permalink 403
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/269895-post403.html

Maybe Andy and Scott will post theirs......here.......on this thread.

WILLIE

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, its true. One person ran out of gas (Me). I was 2.4 miles away from the gas station we started at. 647.1 miles on one tank!

In retrospect, I should have made a pit stop at a gas station to put one gallon in, just so I can be assured that I'd make it and just subtract one gallon from when I filled up (actually I though of that while driving, but I decided to go for the glory...good thing that Wille and Scott were there to bail me out when I didn't quite make it.

I was on the 210 fwy, saw the exit for the gas station we started at a few miles away and said to myself "I'm gonna make it!" and (no lie) as soon as I said that, my poor, starved Insight started doing the dry tank two step. I managed to get off the freeway and I did get to chug along a bit more on the electric motor...but as you can imagine, the battery power drained quick! Good times.

Here is a link to the pictures I took from the trip.

2001 Honda Insight Photos by Quietlion79 | Photobucket

They are in reverse order, so start on page 3, the last shots are my lazy-*** cat, who didn't care about the epic trip...he was just wondering if he was going to get fed!

All in all, it was a great meetup! It was nice to meet everyone and share stories, I wish I had my camera out when we were doing the grid charger pigtail install. Maybe I'll do a DIY with pics/vids when I put mine in. Would there be any interest in a DIY for an A/C install? I wouldn't imagine too many people are in the same spot I am (No AC from the factory).

It was fun driving with other like-minded Insighters, I'll bet we were quite a sight (no pun intended), driving and changing lanes together and drafting anything bigger than a civic. :)

PS- Willie, I know you would have beaten me in that final stretch if your car didn't start getting hot!

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Andy;
Pics are great.
I bet you rolled up your window at the "FEED YARD".
That's when I had to turn on my AC.
Most of the way you had your window down using your hand to scoop in cooler air.
I saw 120F inside the car a lot.

Got to do the trip again, if ELI ever has an "OPEN HOUSE".

Thank You
Willie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts