Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I share DMT257 enthusiasm in his last post. I did an experiment and reset the MID trip meter. I took a 40 mile round trip local driving trip here in Central Florida with many lights and stops. I had the windows open, no A/C (its been real nice) and drove like I always do smooth and steady with a max speed of 55 mph on some open roads. By the way, for those of you who think Florida is flat, come to Clermont. It's a lot of hills and valleys. That's why I like this part of the state so much. I did check my MID often and used the speedometer coach to watch my driving.

This car is incredible and so far has really exceeded my expectations with fuel economy. I am beginning to believe those Youtube videos with guys getting 70 MPG US on highway driving.

I can see how you could really cut your mileage down with the way you drive and I guess that's why it got the EPA mileage rating that it did. I guess if you push the accelerator on the floor at every start just from what the MID says, you could potentially be in the high 20's or low 30's?

In any case so far the car has performed every bit as good as the Prius which was my other choice. I am glad I got the Insight as I am Really liking it! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,164 Posts
Driving style is a major key to fuel economy with the car, as you are learning. Wonderful little gems:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice.

Eco driving techniques are easy to implement and will give large rewards in FE terms.

On the national speed limit roads (60mph) I've been using a base speed of 45-50mph depending upon the road and accelerating before hills to a max of 65mph. I'll then be off throttle for the incline as much as possible without letting speed drop below 40.

I would estimate that gave me 4-5mpg as opposed to leaving it in cruise. I live in a hilly area though.

What year do you have? Do you have the software updates?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi DMT and Jime,

There used to be a national speed limit which was imposed here in I think 1974 when we had the first so called fuel crises. It was 55 mph and since then states have raised those limits when the government continued highway funding even if they raised their speed limit. Till that time, states were forced to have the national 55 speed limit or they did not get the funding. I have to say that I have always believed that the 55 mph speed limit was the way to go and still think that. I find the best fuel economy even with my conventional cars at 55. Besides that I really feel its just a safer speed with reaction times increasing as speed decreases.

I will say with the Insight that if I was going downhill I would let the insight go over the 55 to maximize regen.

DMT, I have a 2014 and just got it last month. I did ask the dealer to make sure all updates were and they assured me they were. It's funny that you ask that because I just posted a question in one of the other postings. I believe it was the Technical topics regarding software updates and if there was a way to first see your software updates and second to compare that with Honda's revisions or updates on a website or something? Similar to a piece of software that tells you the revisions and what they improved.

In any case, So far real happy with the car and you guys on this forum have been invaluable for information!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrats on the car and your mileage, Jazzy. I'm just tickling 60.0 lifetime MPG in the couple of months I've owned my Insight.

The National Maximum Speed Limit was implemented for fuel savings after the government-exacerbated "fuel crisis" of 1973. After the crisis subsided, they then claimed it was because "speed kills" and other disproven myths. Unfortunately all it did was breed widespread disregard for the law. It also spawned an institutional disdain in governments large and small for science-based policy that persists today, not to mention enforcement for revenue instead of compliance.

Speed Limits: Frequently Asked Questions

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
If I drive it like I stole it around town (running up to 40 in second, aggressively accelerating and braking to jockey in traffic) I still get over 50 mpg.

Driving the way I usually do in the same traffic, I typically get 65, although that will drop a bit as winter approaches.

·
Registered
943 Posts
National speed limit in the UK is 60 for single carriageways, 70 for dual carriageways and motorways.

I'm fairly sure that my willingness to drive up to those limits and lack of willingness to increase tyre pressure much over Honda's recommendations are the main reasons I've never had a tank over 60 mpgUK.

·
Registered
831 Posts
National speed limit during the first big energy "crisis" was imposed to try to get fuel economy up a tad back in the days when normal family cars were pushing to get 12 to 18 mpg, if that much. It didn't work very well.

The Oil Crisis was politically ginned up by OPEC. It put some serious hurt on the world economy, which was exactly their intent. These guys are still around today, but they have lost some of their strangle hold on energy supplies luckily.

Speed does influence mortality in crashes. Fortunately, safety measures imposed or mandated by big "gubmint" regulation has helped to increase survival rates in automobile crashes. There are roads and areas where speeds of 75 mph or more can be driven safely. There are roads where 25 to 35 mph can be dangerous.

From seat belt laws, to crumple zones, to air bags, ABS, dynamic stability systems, passenger cell engineering, and more, the list has improved safety for all occupants.

We still die at a rate of over 35,000 people per year in car accidents in the U.S. at this point. But that's down significantly from the pre national 55 mph speed limit days of 1972 when 54,589 deaths were recorded. Deaths were down to 44,525 in 1975, a year after the 55 mph speed limit came into being.

Given the same circumstances, you are still less likely to die in a 25 mph crash, compared to a crash at 75 mph. It's a pretty simple physics thing.

Reasonable speed for conditions, as long as the car and driver are capable, is not a problem. I just returned from a 3,300 mile trip, and saw traffic density where multiple accidents were occurring at speeds of around 35 mph! Mostly due to carelessness or more likely distracted drivers. Totally avoidable incidents that caused big dents and no fatalities.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dang Jeff, you're like an hour from me. I didn't know anybody on here lived so close. You ought to put yourself on the map, it's in a post somewhere here

I wish this site showed the cars, so I'd know if I ever passed you on the road!

I'll have moon discs on mine next weekend, so if you see the silver Gen-1 in central Florida with moons and a big ecomodder decal on the back, that's me

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys , if you saw the accidents I saw in my 32 years on that job, you would be going 50 also! I have to tell you, the guys that did 80 got way more injuries than the guys doing 45 or 50.
If you are going 40 mph, you need a reaction distance of 44 feet in between the car in front of you. Thats the distance before you react, stomp on the brake and than the brakes mechanically work. If you are going 80 mph, you need to be 88 feet behind the car in front of you. I will ask you this guys, how many people do you know doing 70 or 80 allow 88 feet between themselves and the next guy in front of them? Mind you that these values are for an awake, sober driver on dry roads. Give the guy a couple of drinks, if he's tired or you have wet roads, reaction distance increases way up there. Just a thought

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have to agree with the above. The worst traffic accident I've ever seen was in Germany, on their Autobahn. They had a suggested speed limit over there at that time, that was not enforced, and suggested that 130 kph (about 81 mph) was enough.

I saw a bunch of very expensive cars moving 130 mph or even way more, never mind 130 kph. I have to admit that I found Germans to have extremely good lane discipline, always signaled when changing lanes and never stayed in the passing lane, unless they were actually passing someone.

When passing in the passing lane, you had to constantly check your mirrors, because if you saw headlights flashing at you from a distance, you'd better be looking to get out of the passing lane. The flashing of lights meant you probably only had a few seconds to move right because the overtaking car is not going to slow down. Saw many a Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini flash by at incredible speeds without incident.

But, when something went wrong, it went wrong in a massive way. We saw an S class Mercedes Benz compacted nearly to its trunk (boot) after impacting a large slow moving tractor trailer. No one in the Mercedes survived. It was gruesome. We had been traveling towards Augsburg on a rainy day.

The Mercedes had passed us about 5 to 10 minutes before. They were probably doing 140 mph. We were amazed. Then a few miles up the Autobahn, we started to slow up, and had to move slowly by the wreck. Worst thing I've ever seen on the road. Emergency vehicles were not there yet. Something you don't forget. There was no fire.

That kind of severe damage and carnage would not have had occurred at 45 mph or even 55 mph. We were moving at 55 to 60 in the rain prior to the accident and even felt that was moving a bit fast for conditions.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not to be facetious, but if everyone else is doing 130 mph and you're doing 55 that's quite a difference...

I believe that in Germany, the recommended speed limit drops in the rain.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Last I heard the autoban was soo congested that speed freaks were coming to America and letting loose in the plain states like Wyoming and such. :evil:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Autobahn speeds are regulated in congested areas. In places where no speed limits were posted, signs warned about driving speeds and weather or visibility conditions.

If you decide to speed in an unsafe manner, the German Polizie (pronounced po lit zie) will chase you down and hand you a big fine. They have the equipment to catch just about anyone that wants to do the crazy on the Autobahn.

But every once in a while someone will try something stupid and too many times it can end in a bad way.

And yes, the Autobahn system gets really crowded at times. Worst was Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. Or on a holiday. They had 22 holidays a year when I was there. That's a three day weekend almost every other weekend!!! Tough to take.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here in the Florida Keys, Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) and Monroe County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) do a pretty good job of keeping things under control. I'm glad they do. There are just a few too many tourists who think their Keys vacation is a license to drive recklessly.

On the trip from Key Largo down to Key West, my winter mileage consistently runs from 60 to 65 MPG. The weather that time of year is spectacular. No a/c needed. Things change considerably in the summer as running the a/c full-time is a must. Mileage suffers considerably and drops into the mid to upper 40s.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rick,
Here in Central Florida the temps are not quite as high as they are there in the keys. I always drive with my windows open, always have. I like the fresh air. If it gets to warm I use the AC. Today with cloud cover and a 30 mile trip I dd 64 mpg. Not bad for a hybrid that they said was no near as good as the Prius. I am more than happy. With A/C on I am averaging 46-50 mpg!

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Autobahn speeds are regulated in congested areas. In places where no speed limits were posted, signs warned about driving speeds and weather or visibility conditions.

If you decide to speed in an unsafe manner, the German Polizie (pronounced po lit zie) will chase you down and hand you a big fine. They have the equipment to catch just about anyone that wants to do the crazy on the Autobahn.

But every once in a while someone will try something stupid and too many times it can end in a bad way.

And yes, the Autobahn system gets really crowded at times. Worst was Friday afternoon and Sunday afternoon. Or on a holiday. They had 22 holidays a year when I was there. That's a three day weekend almost every other weekend!!! Tough to take.
I know a guy with a Mustang that would get away from just about anything except the police chopper. He says he can outrun the chopper, but I'm not so sure. He has a black Fox, unknown year (somewhere between 91 and 93) pushing 800 horses. He had to get the Saleen speedometer (200mph) because the stock one (140) didn't go 'high enough'.

[Edit]: I know the post I replied to was posted in 2014.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Well, he may have a nice mustang. Its my experience at least for the American muscle cars if they got power, they just do not handle. Why a "car guy" would focus soo much on power, but no way to steer it beats me. I mean most get nice wide tires too, but they forget any mods to the suspension. :confused:

Ive heard from those on the autoban that its not the cars you read about on magazines or see on Top Gear UK that cost 6 digits that drive fast, but real sleeper vehicles. Some guy rented a porsche to go for it and was passed by a family in a station wagon like he was standing still. :-?

A while back Germans would coming to the US and heading West as many of those states have higher or no speed limits on rural areas. Ive had others tell me they give you a ticket that means little to no points of cost or some driving inefficient ticket or something.

You go 81 mph or 20 over the posted limit in VA you are arrested, licenses revoked and you car is impounded. Many guys who truely speed get all bent out of shape for a ticket for 80 mph when they were closer to 100, but the cops are trying to do them a favor. Just pay the ticket, take the driving course and be more careful next time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, he may have a nice mustang. Its my experience at least for the American muscle cars if they got power, they just do not handle. Why a "car guy" would focus soo much on power, but no way to steer it beats me. I mean most get nice wide tires too, but they forget any mods to the suspension. :confused:

Ive heard from those on the autoban that its not the cars you read about on magazines or see on Top Gear UK that cost 6 digits that drive fast, but real sleeper vehicles. Some guy rented a porsche to go for it and was passed by a family in a station wagon like he was standing still. :-?

A while back Germans would coming to the US and heading West as many of those states have higher or no speed limits on rural areas. Ive had others tell me they give you a ticket that means little to no points of cost or some driving inefficient ticket or something.

You go 81 mph or 20 over the posted limit in VA you are arrested, licenses revoked and you car is impounded. Many guys who truely speed get all bent out of shape for a ticket for 80 mph when they were closer to 100, but the cops are trying to do them a favor. Just pay the ticket, take the driving course and be more careful next time.
Years ago, 1993, I got a $5 ticket for wasting resources on a stretch of road in the middle of nowhere and nowhere, Montana for doing 78 mph in a Suzuki Swift that got 47 mpg going reasonably and around 44 mpg at 78 mph. The state trooper that stopped me was driving a big V8 LTD Ford. I shudda given him a ticket for wasting way more resources than me!

We were the only 2 cars on the road, other than the big dump truck that I had just passed (and probably radioed the trooper that I was on my way up the next rise) at about 80 mph. Guilty as charged, Officer.

Most American Pony cars were just for straight line speed. Suspensions were only a bit more advanced than a Conestoga Wagon or a pickup truck. I think the new crop of Pony cars are more sorted out in the suspension department. I haven't driven one lately, but expect it would be a much improved experience in the twisties at speed. I would hope so, anyway. Might have to do that.

One of my friend's uncles bought a 1969 COPO Camaro which he for some reason tried to teach me to shift rapidly. I eventually mastered the shift, but it was a brute of a car scared the heck out of me. He was a big Trans Am racing fan... and got me hooked on the series at Watkins Glen, NY. Mark Donahue was his and my favorite driver. That's called... going for a ride in the WABAC Machine, boys and girls! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts