Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this article on the 2018 Honda Clarity EV & I am very sad to read about the estimated 80 miles range.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170227/OEM05/302279968/honda-settles-for-an-80-mile-ev

I was expecting much better range from Honda and was actually considering this car in future.

Do not understand why Honda does not offer a car with amazing EV range to those like me who do not care about car size. Wish they would make a quality built car with amazing EV range, regardless of how small it is.

Not all EV buyers have big families or do short commutes :(

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I could live with that.
I can charge for free at work. I have a 22 mile commute, easy.
The times I need to travel further than 80 miles in one go are less than 10 times a year.
I might need to recharge on the go a couple of times a year. But then I'd save money on the smaller battery, lower weight, cheaper insurance, lesser tire wear etc... I get ample compensation for those few extra stops.

And I could use a big car. I gutted the trunk for extra space.

But that is just me being rational. Other people have other needs. The Clarity will most likely remain a rarity.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I leased the FitEV, and i fit an incredible amount of stuff in that car. Every christmas i'd have an fresh 8' xmas tree in there. seats fold down so flat you could fit 10' boards in there (did that a few times). 80 miles of range would have been totally fine with me, except Hondas horrible winter/cold weather performance. when the range goes down to <30 miles in the extreme cold you have an issue. While my lack of garage increased the cold weather impact compared to the leaf the range hit was huge without even using heat.

Now if you can give me 80 miles in the dead of winter I'll get one in a second. I don't know if anyone is close to the efficiency of the FitEV. I averaged 4.5 m/kw and that was not hypermiling. The regen on that car is fantastic once the weather is above 50°f. Below 50 regen is almost nonexistent.

I'll take a look at the clarity when it's available, maybe it'll fit my lifestyle at that point. I do love how Honda puts together a vehicle, but a range of 120 miles would have been a better fit for me.

Tim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Smaller range = lower first cost + more space + better efficiency + lower battery replacement cost someday. A trade-off to be sure, but the market should definitely not just have high range EVs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Smaller range = lower first cost + more space + better efficiency + lower battery replacement cost someday. A trade-off to be sure, but the market should definitely not just have high range EVs.
Agreed- they should offer different range packages as options for people with different needs. It wouldn't be that tough to design the battery compartment to be expandable.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Well, I see why they made it a sedan now... they designed it around that big, honking, cylindrical hydrogen tank.

But that compromise for {useless} hydrogen means no sale here. I don't ever want another sedan after owning a Fit.

Go hatch or go home.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I could live with a sedan if the rear seats fold down.
The Clarity seems to be large enough to move a bed. I did once in my Insight, but that was pushing the limits.

The EV and hybrid versions do not have the hydrogen tank, they should have a large boot.
Some of that space may be taken by the batteries, but the EV has no engine so I expect it to have either batteries or storage capacity under the hood. The hybrid has a smaller pack.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,419 Posts
It seems like Honda doesn't know what they should be offering to the North American market. Have y'all ever taken a look at the Japanese Honda page? So many models it'll make your head spin. They're just throwing things out there trying to figure out what will stick, instead of being deliberate about it. This is probably costing them money, the same exact way it was inefficient for Ford to offer a Grand Marquis and a Crown Vic and a Towncar... like at some point you end up competing with yourself.

The Clarity Hybrid, to me, what's really the difference between that and the Honda Accord Hybrid? They should have just made a plugin version of the HAH. At least with the Accord, you know, everyone knows what an Accord is already.

*EDIT*
Oh, let's not forget, ostensibly the Tesla Model 3 will be released this year at the same price but with a 215 mile range.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You mean bring back the Plug-In Accord Hybrid? they barely sold any of those, but i wouldn't mind a used one. Probably nice cars, i just never find them for sale.

Tim

·
Registered
554 Posts
You mean bring back the Plug-In Accord Hybrid? they barely sold any of those, but i wouldn't mind a used one. Probably nice cars, i just never find them for sale.

Tim
They were limited market compliance cars.

EV Clarity is compliance only too, almost irrelevant.

The car to watch is the PHEV Clarity which is meant to compete with the V

·
Registered
470 Posts
I guess i didn't realize they were compliance cars. I know the Fit EV was for sure compliance, limited to 1100, one of which I leased. I assumed the Accord plug-in just sold like crap because of the cost/mileage increase over the normal models.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I believe they are also making a hydrogen version of the clarity too? Or as Elon put it "fools cell". Imagine all the time and money they put into the R&D on that. Would have been better spent on an EV insight or improved hybrid. I think there are only 35 hydrogen stations in the country, most in CA. It's like VW pursuing clean diesel or Honda/Toyota doing Hydrogen. Looks like VW is getting it now with big EV plans. My wife and I plan to only buy EV's from now on and if I need crazy range I can go 600+ in the Insight.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Clarity PHEV Test Drive

Saturday I test drove a Clarity Touring with 11 total miles on the odometer. It was larger than the 2018 Accord inside and out. I drove it in EV mode only before realizing it also has a Sport mode! Very nice ride just like my Accord EXL. EV; 47 miles + ICE = 340 miles total range. I was very tempted to sell two of my Hondas if it was a Hatchback and had longer total range. It only has a 7.0 gallon fuel tank!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Did you ask them how much for the red next to it?! I figure at about 2k per 2000 vintage now, you could have 18 for the price of that thing you drove :)

Taking it further for fun - each Gen1 would go roughly and conservatively 250,000 miles, so...
18x100,000 (diff between current avg mileage and end of life) = 1.8 million miles for $36,000 = .02 cents per mile
Clarity - 200,000 miles for $36000 = 18 cents per mile.
Just saying ;)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Did you ask them how much for the red next to it?! I figure at about 2k per 2000 vintage now, you could have 18 for the price of that thing you drove :)

Taking it further for fun - each Gen1 would go roughly and conservatively 250,000 miles, so...
18x100,000 (diff between current avg mileage and end of life) = 1.8 million miles for $36,000 = .02 cents per mile
Clarity - 200,000 miles for $36000 = 18 cents per mile.
Just saying ;)
That's probably his car ;-)

That Clarity though. What an ungodly mess of styling creases, bulbous front end mismatched with the weird geometric back end with the half skirts in the back that join with the gap between the bumper and the quarter panel. It's barely more attractive than that new Prius. At the very least, finish the skirts or leave them off, sheesh. The bottoms of the skirts aren't even horizontal, so the effect of putting them on there isn't what it could be, for "styling."

What gives, Japan?

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
I don't see any actual skirts. Just goofy shaped wheel openings. Ick!

Sam

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Yes samwichse, the red G1 is mine and the Clarity definitely can use rear wheel skirts. It looks best in front view and dark colors as I had seen in their brochure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts