Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
City and Highway combined mpg averaged 85 by monitoring the AFR to keep in lean burn.

Trial run 52 miles...passenger and driver, 25 % light hills, 10% city, - parking, stop lights. plus partial AC on.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
His thread is here:

Installing an AFR Meter
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8116

I'll state it again:

While its _nice_ to have its not a requirement for hyper MPG driving. Your MPG meter can teach you the same thing. (So don't make low MPG excuses for yourself just because you don't have one :p ). Once you've learned the right "touch" then any meter is redundant.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it seems to be all about that "touch". With a needle type guage, red and green lights going on and off above the dash its
a lot easier to find that sweet spot. Down hills you can increase speeds significantly so you can make it up an upcoming hill
and still stay in lean burn with out assist coming on. The gear shift indicator doesn't seem to be on spot with keeping the
car in lean burn, coasting in neutral down hill pulls it out of lean burn.

I can now see that if the car had MIMA installed you could activate assist in taking off, climbing hills, etc and keep the
car in lean burn significantly more often. That should definately push you into the 100+mpg range. Dual batteries with
plug in recharging ... maybe 110+ consistent mpg.

I am speculating that an AFR meter is as similarly important to a achieving high mpg as a tachometer would be to a race car. :?:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts