Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all. Did any of you folks owned or own an '88 CRXsi? I had one before I got the Insight and I am severely missing it.
My very first car when I was 14 was a 1974 Honda Z Coupe and I learned how to drive in it for several years. Then when my grandmother died around 1995'ish I inherited her 1990 Honda Accord. It was a nice car, but not what I wanted. At that time, and for a while, my dream car was always the '88 CRX.
So, when my sister-in-law's much older Accord was on it's last leg, I made a deal with my Dad that I give her the '90 Accord and I'd get myself a CRX. I didn't know at the time the difference in the different models of 88-91 CRX's, I just knew I liked that body-style.
Anyway, long story short I got my '88CRXsi and loved the car. At that time, I had a job at McD's in '97 and started modifying the CRX. Boy, I knew that car inside and out and I knew practically every bolt on it. It was one of the easiest cars ever to work on. I studied Automotive Tech between '99-'01 where I rebuilt the CRX's engine, bored out the cylinders and added larger pistons, Iceman air-intake, DC-Sports header, and had duel exhaust put in. The car was lowered an inch with Eibach springs and Toxico shocks, and rolled on 14x6 wheels. For a while it was silver in color and had an MGA body-kit on it. When I graduated Auto-Tech, I had removed the body-kit, put on 16x7 Konig Tuners on, clear Altezza-style tail-lights, and had the car repainted BMW Alpine White.
It was a beauty and it was fast and fun. I don't remember the gas-milage on it, but I didn't care at the time.
Anyway, in '01, my Dad and I were admiring the technology of the Insight and agreed to sell the 1972 Honda Z Coup, his old-old inherited Mercedes, and the CRX in favor of the Insight.
The Insight is by far the damned best car I've ever owned. Totally 100% trouble-free with of coarse replacing the 12v battery once or twice, new tires and basic maintenance. Today, I still have and love the Insight more than any other car out there. I love how very special, rare, exotic, and damn cheap it is.

My point to this little story, is I still miss the '88CRXsi and have recently ben thinking about getting one. I don't see too many of them on the road anymore, especially in good condition. It's a car I'm not afraid to work on, and it would be a fun project.
Is it possible to get one in relatively good condition that's still cheap? I don't want to waste money restoring a junked one, I don't want to put thousands into putting one on the road. I just want a descent fun little car that I can do a few things to it.

What you guy's think?

·
Registered
227 Posts
i own a 89 crx dx that is in great condition.

it is hard to find a clean all original honda crx in good condition for "cheap" these days.

ofcourse, cheap is a relative term, whats cheap to you?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had UK CRX VETEC model for 8 years pretty much same engine spec 1600cc 150 bhp but with leather seats and UK ones had rear seats too. I could get my sister behind her boyfriend (both a bit on the short side) in with the passenger seat positioned forward a bit but no room for anyone behind me. Spotless and original when I traded it in for My 1999 Elise.

HYD173Y IIRC Celeste blue metallic - very pretty. I miss that one too!

Vey few original looking cars around which is a shame because they still look good like that.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Cheap around 3g's. Cheap without having to restore the hell out of it would be nice too.:)
Good luck finding an unmolested CRX for that dough. They're either riced to hell and back, or rusted through.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, looked at Craigslist in Denver, and saw a really nice blue 1991 CRXsi within my price range, but it's blue! Not one of my favorite colors and a color that's hard to customize. But for the price, it appears to be in near mint condition, and unmolested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts