Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My insight has reached 93K miles and is overdue for a 90K mile service; my questions are:

(1) Is there anything special I should be aware of for a 90K mile service? Anything that *must* be done or should be paid special attention?

(2) Any recommendations for a good shop to perform the service in the San Francisco Bay Area?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Your owners manual should tell you want needs to be done. Don't listen to what dealerships tell you they suggest should be done. Honda knows better than they do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with what you are saying about dealers *in general* - however, my local dealer has proven to be suprisingly knowledgeable about my Insight. They gave me a printout of the service agenda in the event that I make an appointment and the list looks like it came from the Honda service maual (it correlates to what's in the owners manual and on this site, at any rate...)

I guess my question was attempting to elicit any knowledge other forum members my have (which time and again proves to be quite extensive). They're always something that's not documented...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my local dealer has proven to be suprisingly knowledgeable about my Insight.
How would you know? Here is how, by getting your own service manual from Helm.

They gave me a printout of the service agenda in the event that I make an appointment and the list looks like it came from the Honda service maual
I can print you something that looks like it came from a Honda service manual too.

My suggestion is to learn about the car yourself. I'm not saying you need to be able to tear the engine apart and put it back together but, owners should do their own service, at least the oil changes. When a person goes into a dealership blind, they shouldn't be upset if they get taken advantage of. In a perfect world I'd never have to say stay away from dealership service departments. But I've learned to avoid them.....from experience.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you're saying is great advice for *some* people, but certainly not for everyone.

I've worked on Trans Ams, Range Rovers, and Camrys; I did most of the work on my last car ('00 Si) as well. You know what I learned? Whatever money you save and piece of mind you get from working on the car yourself is more than negated by the time spent. Unless your car is your hobby (i.e. it's a classic, a muscle car, etc.) then I don't think it's worth the effort to do the work. This is the reason I asked for recommendations for shops in the Bay Area and the reason I'm still asking...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I hear you but an owner should at least be able to change their own oil. It takes like no more than 30 minutes. And that long only because of all the bolts you have to deal with to take off the covers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Compromise

So I compromised a bit on the service. I paid the dealer to do the oils (engine and transmisison) as well as the inspections (service items in boxes A & B on the maintenance schedule). I changed the interior cabin air filter and the engine air filter and that saved a few bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts