Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2000 Honda Insight from minor4326. He was nice enough to drive it up to Lansing from Detroit for me to purchase it. Now onto my armrest mod :)

I used to own a '95 Geo Metro and retrofit a 1st gen Dodge Neon center console to gain an armrest, so I was already familiar with the idea. I think it turned out pretty well, but I'll let you guys be the judge.

Here is a side by side pic of the Civic & Insight center consoles. I picked it up at a local junk yard for $6. It was from a 2000. As you can see, the Civic console is longer, wider and comes with a coin dish.

And this is how it ended up looking after trimming the rear to fit over the two metal brackets. The two plastic plugs need to be removed from the brackets.
Ignore the cuts up the two corners. It should be left in tact. All you really need to do is trim the center section, round the two corners, cut two vertical slot and glue the blank plate in for more rigidity (optional).

The front end needs to be rounded just a bit. I cut off maybe a 1/4 too much, but it still turned out fine. It's a very tight squeeze to get the front console to fit with the Civic console, but once everything is flat, there is a little wiggle room. You can still slide the seats back and forth and reach the seat levers, but they do rub.

Here it is installed! As you can see, I kept the front console of the Insight around the shifter and "molded" the Civic console around it.

Hope you guys enjoy! This gives you a little more "storage" than the '92-'95 Civic armrest with the tray under the e-brake.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like it.....wonder if i am handy enough to do it.....

The ebrake goes all the way down just fine??

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
I also have one of these. I don't remember what I did at the back, but I just modified the front a little with a Dremel and it fits ok.

The brake lever mostly works ok, but sometimes I have to bump it down to make the brake light go off.

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,755 Posts
Cmon SAM, readjust the switch.

Willie

·
Super Moderator
4,726 Posts
It feels like there is a piece of rubber or something down there somewhere. I just need to pull it out and take a look. It doesn't bother me enough to make the effort.

Sam

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the only drop in solution that I know of if you want to shell out $110+ for one: armrest-autoaccessories.com - HONDA INSIGHT armrest arm rest

This Civic armrest mod is pretty darn close to a drop in and cost me $7 and the color is actually really close. If you have a newer one, some of the Civics had a more tan/brown interior that could better match the 2004-2006 interior.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Interesting that you guys want an armrest and I won't buy a car that has anything that touches my elbows.

To each their own!

The mod does like good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is the only drop in solution that I know of if you want to shell out $110+ for one: armrest-autoaccessories.com - HONDA INSIGHT armrest arm rest

This Civic armrest mod is pretty darn close to a drop in and cost me $7 and the color is actually really close. If you have a newer one, some of the Civics had a more tan/brown interior that could better match the 2004-2006 interior.
Where did you get it for 7 bucks? Parts car?

·
Registered
495 Posts
For this mod, does it matter whether the armrest comes from a manual or an automatic Civic?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts