Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Thought I relate to you a bad day I had two years ago. I had a crazy commute going home from San Diego to Huntington Beach, CA. It is 92 miles one way! Anyway, I was just leaving work and found myself at a red light in the right lane of a 4 lane road (2 lanes per direction). A crazy Jeep Wrangler zoomed between me and the car to my left and ran the red. He was able to clipped off my left mirror which was just hanging by the wire bundle. I couldn't catch him so I called the SDPD. I pulled over, put on my emergency blinkers, and waited. The officer came over an hour later. Took my info and report and wished me luck. I then found out that I had ran the 12V battery dry and couldn't start the car. The officer then tried to push start me (I have a MT), but we soon discover that push starting a Honda hybrid does not work! The officer does not have cables, so I called AAA and waited another :45 minutes for a jump. After about 3 hours after work, I started on the long drive home with a dangling mirror!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sorry to hear of the trouble you've had there and while this might seem like closing the barn door after the horse escaped, you might want to give consideration to keeping, carrying a small notebook and pen in the car whenever you're on the road.

I suggest this as with an incident such as you just described , it will be remembered in detail for only a short time. The particulars (license, vehicle make, model, bumper stickers and the like which would help identify the specific vehicle) these will quickly fade. Odds are within twenty four hours you will probably forget a good bit about the jeep which struck your car, decreasing the odds that the other driver will ever be caught. And if I might add, if your hand writing is anything like mine, consider carrying a small, palm sized tape recorder, one which can be operated with one hand, as well. You might be surprised at just how handy such a little "note taker" like that can be as you're going down the road.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps, at least somewhat.

Fred / Proud Owner of the "Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip! That guy in the Jeep went by so fast...35-40mph that I didn't get a good look at him. It's incredible that he tried something like that. If I had my hand out the window, I could've lost some fingers.

My 12V battery ran out just by me listening to the radio with the blinkers on while waiting for the officer to show up. The battery was probably 3 to 4 years old as I bought the car in 2002 and this happened in 2005.

tonpilot

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's why I always carry jumper cables.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No, the 12V powers the accessories, independent of the big battery in the back; if the little battery can't power up the computer to start the car, the big battery won't help you out... :cry:

Perhaps this will clear up some confusion: It's not really a reserve battery, it IS the battery to run the car's creature features and starting command duties. The big battery does power the normal ICE starting cycle, but only under the command of the computer controlled by the little battery. If the big battery is unable to power up the starting cycle, that's when the little battery steps in and starts the ICE with the backup starter (which some of us have never heard, and will probably never hear). :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I was always under the assumption that all 12V functions were directly fed off the 144V pack through the DC/DC converter, and the "little 12V battery" was strictly for starting when the 144V was depleted. I've never needed the 12V to start my Insight in almost 7 years. I'm thinking it's time to change the OEM 12V battery though as it's original.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
boogetyboogety said:
...If the big battery is unable to power up the starting cycle, that's when the little battery steps in and starts the ICE with the backup starter...
From what I understand is that the small 12V battery has to have enough power to powerup the IMA modules initially....Once powered up, the IMA battery system takes over and the 12V is then responsible for maintaining power for accessories and lights during autostop... If the 12V does not have enough power to initially powerup the IMA modules, then more than likely you are stuck since the 12v may not have enough power to turn over the engine using the backup starter motor.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
118 Posts
Scott, take a look at "BatteryMINDER", if you wanna just return your battery to good condition, or you have other vehicles that could stand some battery maintenance.

I actually brought a 12 battery back from the dead. It was junk when removed, sat for over a year, and now will hold a charge.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have noticed that my 'big' battery does not deplete as much on a hill I drive on every day since I replaced my 'little' battery.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
gomarlins3 said:
I have noticed that my 'big' battery does not deplete as much on a hill I drive on every day since I replaced my 'little' battery.
Yes, that is something that those with original 12V batteries which are over three / four years old should bear in mind. The 144V IMA battery provides the charge for the 12V battery. If the 12V battery is deteriorating then the IMA battery pumps more and more juice into the 12V (accelerating its decline) and will have an adverse effect on your MPG and ultimately more IMA problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There should be a book with all these things. Some of the tips on this forum are not something that you would just "know". If I had the time, I would make a new forum thread composed of all of these "tricks". Never would have I suspected the 12V would affect the 144V in such a way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts