Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my 2000 Silver Insight about 2-3 years ago with 167K on the clock. She needed a little cosmetic tlc but has always performed like a champ mechanically. I change the oil and drive her like she's worth a fortune even though I paid $1500 for her. I was initially apprehensive after hearing all the nightmares regarding the IMA battery but to date I've never had an issue. I never installed a grid charger and I'm currently creeping up on 200k with a perfectly functioning battery. I drive my car to work weekly but work a 3 day on 4 day off schedule so the car doesn't see a lot of miles. 60 there and 60 back. So perhaps 500-600 a month. I left for work this week in the early morning on Wednesday and it was our first hard frost. The car fired up and ran nicely as always, no issues. The temp was about 25 degrees when I left. I parked the car in my lot at work and there she sat until Friday evening. When I started the car I immediately heard a new sound coming from the engine that I've never heard before. A whining sound that changed with the RPM. I hoped it might be cold temp related but I didn't hold much hope as I have done plenty of winter driving over the last two winters. I made a quick stop for groceries and drove the 90 minutes home. Zero performance issues, everything functioned as always. I popped the hood to see what I could see in the dark and the sound at least seems to be coming from the belt directly the the left of the motor.

Any ideas what I'm in for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I’d have to hear the sound but belts whine when they slip. AC pulley bearings can whine too. Does it sound metallic? To me it sounds more like temps got cold quick and belts started slipping but I’m not there. Maybe you could record a video to post up. If it doesn’t allow use YouTube and link here. Then someone could give you a definitive answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,701 Posts
Idler pully (belt tensioner) bearing most likely. If it is the belt, when you turn on the AC it will normally get louder. HTH

·
Super Moderator
5,435 Posts
Here's another vote for the idler pulley. I just did one of these. It's a cheap, easy fix.

Sam

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can’t seem to find a way to attach a short clip I took of the noise but it sounds like the consensus is idler pulley. Any thread that outlines the procedure?
Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Idler pully (belt tensioner) bearing most likely. If it is the belt, when you turn on the AC it will normally get louder. HTH
I would agree. My idler pully gave out in the younger days of vehicle. The noise was there for awhile and then while driving, a big knock sound. Wife about jumped in my lap, she was so scared. I had to stop and turn engine off frequently to cool the engine down until I got home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I've got a Timken 203FF bearing on the way. Will press out the old bearing and press in the new to retain the original pulley. Also ordered a new belt. Looks like a pretty simple and easy job. Hope that cures the issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well I crawled under my Insight last night, pulled out the pulley, walked over to my bench vise, grabbed a socket after a good yank on the vise I got that satisfying “pop” of the old crusty bearing breaking free of the housing. I smeared a little grease into the pulley and quickly pressed the bearing in with the same vise and a few sockets. Crawled back under the car and stuffed it back into position. Talk about fast and easy.
Started the car and presto, no more noise!!
Thanks fellas! You saved the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts