Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi insighters.....
compressor issue not engaging appreciate suggestions.
1. connection issue: ac compressor 'thermal protector' wire connection (1 pin connector( black jacket, red wire) (pic1,2) ' unknown if connects to single 'blue red' wire that is sticking out of a wire harness. (it is also, (the 'blue/red one) pulled out of it's male receptacle, a male receptacle that has a empty single spot where a wire was connected to the 'female thermal protector connector.') my opinion is it was in the empty male connector. (see pics if it makes sense, i did insert the 'blue red' into the empty connecter and connected the two for the pic)
2. service manual shows ac pulley relay (4pin contact of which the #2 pin outputs to single blue/red wire) (pic3)
3. what powers the a/c compressor? (passive connectivity, or direct source such as that 'red to blue/red wires?')
4. is this 'pully relay,' within spec of continuity?(yes, the power contacts are 'clicking')(pic4,5)
appreciate any feedback.

Mouth Automotive tire Gesture Finger Auto part Jaw Gesture Finger Eyelash Thumb Building Rectangle Font House Window Plant Measuring instrument Gadget Font Temperature Building Automotive tire Wood Water Flooring

·
Registered
118 Posts
The relay sends 12v power to the a/c clutch. Most Honda's use a red wire or a variation on that, maybe a black stripe on a red wire.

Have you had the system evacuated and recharged with the proper amount of R134a? Low freon level will prevent the clutch from engaging.

·
Super Moderator
9,176 Posts
worn clutch may require adjustment of clutch space gap if you are getting proper power to clutch.

Reactions: BruceinLA

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
t.y. 'bruce n' l.a.' & 'jime,' for some info. if either of u have some follow up.
also note: i do not have the 'blue/red, and solid red connected together......yet

here's why: my theory is i should be able to test the connectivity of the wires. doing this is
1. turn on ignition.
2. press 'ac,' button.
3. if the 'relay,' is posting out 12V, putting my volt meter on the 'red/blue and a 'ground source should produce 12V right? i don't get that, though. so question asked originally
#4.#4. is that relay 0.09 within spec? cause that could prevent voltage output if failed.
let me know what ya think.

·
Super Moderator
9,176 Posts
worn clutch may require adjustment of clutch space gap if you are getting proper power to clutch.
I'm told by Scott that this is very rare and you should not tinker with the clutch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can swap relays, any of the Honda 4 pin function the same, if it fits, it functions.

I have never tested a relay as I have new "test" relays to try if one is suspect.

Verify your freon charge levels, you will get no clutch power with zero charge.

The "down and dirty" test for most Honda's (mine works like this also) with all the wiring connected as from the factory, is to turn the key to "ON" don't start the engine put the climate control on "auto" and turn the temp down to 60.

Do both the radiator and condenser fans come on? if so, you should have enough of a freon charge to look at the clutch circuit. Not 100% foolproof but it says the car is trying!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
t.y. for the responses bruce n' la, and jime.
1. my raid fan comes on.
2. condenser fan don't know as ac comp is not connected to power. (re: condenser, i installed new condenser, and receiver/drier couple months back, solvented input/ outputs hi/low tubes, evacuated compressor via vacuum pump and now to current date, attempting completion.
.after i confirm 12V on the blue/red, ill connect to the 'ac thermal protector wire'. question, ?
you say, a/c clutch will not operate with 'low freon levels,'
1. so what happens when power is established to the a/c compressor?
2. when i upload freon into the system. will the system allow freon in? ( i know about the freon oz spec, and the pag 46 specs)
3. does uploading freon into the system release a locked a/c pulley? ( mine may not even be locked, its been unplugged several years.)
t.y for your follow through.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1) The system has a low pressure switch that prevents clutch operation, so you won't get power at the compressor wires until it's at least partially charged. (above 29 psi)

2) Yes, when you start to charge the system with freon it should close the low pressure switch and start the compressor allowing you to charge it through the low side using guages to monitor progress and compressor performance.

3)You should be able to turn the inner pulley by hand and feel the compressor working to verify it's not frozen, the outer one is what the clutch engages via the relay.

All wiring must be connected as done by the factory, including the "thermal protector" for everything to operate. So if you know it's currently an empty system because you changed components just connect all the wiring and try to charge it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
t.y. 'bruce n' la.'
yes, i plan this week to complete it.
b.t.w...
here's a pic of a recycled insight comp...which has the attached cut off connector from 'relay.' what color is it? blue w/red stripe as i suspected. all go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi fellow insighters,
wanna thank bruce, hybred, jime....for suggestons. update:
all external components are operating as designed (connected all related a\c devices, rewired n'connected those disconnected wires and plugged in, (compressor engaged once 30ish was reaches with refrigerant. however,
issue:
inside the cabin, when increase blower to level 3 or 4, i hear a 'hissing' coming at the bottom of the blower/air exit area.
suggustions please. seems like im going to have to resolve the a/c issue inside vehicle now. (refrigerant within system seems empty. (not gonna fill additionals)
questions :
is this the item within the dash i should be examining? (see pic)
t.y. for feedback
Slope Organism Font Triangle Parallel

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
Have you jumpered the pressure switch? If you do this the rest of the stuff should come on. Don't leave it this way very long. If everything works, just add some Freon. Quick and dirty, and it'll probably leak out, so you'll have to find and fix the leak and then Freon added correctly the next time.

Sam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts