Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i accelerate briskly to get on the highway and then take the car up to about 70mph the A/C sometimes will not engage the compressor...

As far as I have observed it happens exclusively when the IMA battery is below half, and happens predictably when the battery is at the bottom (recal event).

Anybody have any clues? It is giving no CEL<MIL codes at all...

Forrest

·
Registered
223 Posts
Actully it is the ECM doing its job as specified. Most computer controled vehicles and even some older ones use the TPS (Throttle Position sensor) or on an older vehicle a throttle cut out switch, to note when the throttle has been opened past 80% and if a signal is recieved that the A/C compressor is engaged it disengages the compressor during times of hard acceleration to ease the engine load during this time of high engine power demand. It is NOT exclusive to just Insights or Hondas, all car lines utilize the same technique.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
Thats why I have an "air compressor on" light in the RED ROCKET. I know at all times when the compressor is working. (Light on, back off the throttle, Light off, give it more gas.) Sure helps the mileage in the summer. :twisted:

·
Registered
35 Posts
How'd you get a light like that? I'm not a gearhad at all, so go easy!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
It's real easy to do. One wire goes to the "hot" side of the AC fan as that runs when the AC compressor is running. The other wire goes to the indicator light. The opposite side of the indicator goes to ground. (Also have a Radiator fan "on" light.) I always like to know whats going on under the hood. :twisted:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
james said:
And do you actually need A/C in the middle of November? If so, I'm sure glad I don't live there :)
well, yesterday it was 85 and 78% humidity. I say that calls for a/c FOR SURE.

I am still wearing shorts... welcome to Texas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts