Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Honda Insight

Hi its 116*F today and im melting the A/C in this car is real junk. When i reach a stop the A/C cooling is sooo weak but when i get up back to driving it starts cooling fair to okay.

I added freon and overfilled it to the point where the AC wouldn't turn on and then i had to let some out.....shhh and brought the pressure back to where i started :( I saw some cool idea of someone using a pool noodle to cover the low return line to help but i bet that's a stupid idea as it would melt and cause a fire. My radiator seems fine the coolant looks fairly clean and is between low and high. so what gives!!!!!!!???? my only guess is the fans are weak and when at a stop they cant keep up but when driving the help of the wind cools..

so my question is...... what else can i do for cold air???

> new cabin filter in (done)
> windows are tintied (done)
> new freon added......then removed :/ (done)
>maybe a type of heat resistant piple foam? (will try)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Day. I just purchased my 2010 Insight last fall and have encountered similar issues. Tried topping up coolant but it was fine. Switched off ECON mode when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. At best I would get 10-15 minutes of cool air but would gradually fade out to blasting furnace hot air if I left the fans on. Was looking at the AC relay and picked up a 39794-SDA-A05 relay from the dealership... but Im not sure now if thats the right one. Beyond swapping out the relay, (or jumpering it to kepp it always on) Im not sure theres much else can be done. Sorry for the hijack but can someone confirm if this part above is correct for the AC relay? Thanks a bunch for any help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its fine hah i think its just the cars limited resource. The radiator and fan is weak since its a small engine

·
Registered
958 Posts
Set at lowest temperature

Turn the temperature setting as low as it will go to avoid the "reheat" feature of your A/C system. If you get too cold, you can always shut it off until you warm up.

You may get icing up in which case you will not get any cooling. You will have to wait for the coil to thaw out before cooling can resume.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
What is the temp reading on the air outlet on the dash?
If you have around 55 F that is about the lowest you will get.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I typed out some advise on this this morning, but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, the first thing is to go beyond just turning off ECO, which helps a little, to just driving, in traffic, in S instead of D. This will keep the engine, and the A/C compressor running. This car does not have electric cooling like some hybrids. No engine, no cool. When it’s hot, I don’t give a rats about fuel economy.

The other thing is to actually not set it on low, but to select a very cold setting, it just seems to cool better. This has been discussed around here before. My wife, the primary Insight driver in our household, collaborates this. And believe me, she wants it as cold as possible. The A/C has never been off in 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Clarification

i'd like to add im not a dummy* ofc its on low
(Some folks will take offense because the directions on a cake mix box do not say "please".)

No offense implied, if the temperature setting is on the low extreme, the compressor will not shut down and will run constantly unless YOU switch it off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input but its way to common, guys or girls i need advance tips. Like im not even talking about settings ive maxed out those of cooling. Now im thinking of using flameproof pipe insulation to cover the entire A/C low line.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Put a thermometer (a meat probe type thermometer works the best) in the outlet of the dash. read the temp. of the air on it's coldest setting.

Willie

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put a thermometer (a meat probe type thermometer works the best) in the outlet of the dash. read the temp. of the air on it's coldest setting.

Willie
i dont have a thermometer but even if i did the test conducted would be bad. The A/C works fine when the temperature is 90*F and under blows super nice and cold. Also in my post, i've said that when im at a stop the compressor seems to slow down maybe? the air gets slightly warmer. Do you happen to know what synthetic freon compared to regular i saw a can at Walmart for 30$ i got the cheap can for 13$

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Get a thermometer. You're approaching this like a dummy even if you say you aren't. Follow the advice given and don't be an "askhole" (someone who asks for advice but stubbornly doesn't take it).

Are you using a sunshade and cracking your windows?

Are you driving the first 1/2 mile or so with your windows down to flush out the hotter interior air with the cooler exterior air?

You need a set of manifold gauges and a temp probe for the vent to have any chance of doing this right, or you're just being a hack. What you should really do is take it to a shop and have it properly evacuated and recharged.

You overpaid. The $4.88 R-134a is the best option. Don't fall for the gimmicks. The only thing you need in your system is R-134a and the appropriate oil.

Bottom line is that most A/C systems are challenged at 106°F. Hondas in particular. The smaller and more efficient the engine, the worse it gets. My 2X HCH2 with the same size motor and larger dual-operation compressor (belt AND electric) both had trouble keeping me cool here in PHX.

Our G1 are tolerable because the interior volume is small.

To fix your problem, you likely need a different car.

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's worth cleaning the A/C condenser from time to time. This might improve performance, especially if it is full of bugs.

Just soak it with a garden hose, leave it 15 minutes and hose again. This will remove most bugs. I wouldn't scrub it as the fins are very delicate.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
i dont have a thermometer but even if i did the test conducted would be bad. The A/C works fine when the temperature is 90*F and under blows super nice and cold. Also in my post, i've said that when im at a stop the compressor seems to slow down maybe? the air gets slightly warmer. Do you happen to know what synthetic freon compared to regular i saw a can at Walmart for 30$ i got the cheap can for 13$
As I said, when you stop the engine shuts off and there is no compressor at all!
Shifting to S (sport mode) keeps the engine and the compressor running.

Also good advise from Mr Keith about running the windows down and letting the hot air out. This is something my sister in law will not do, because you can’t have the A/C on with the windows open in her way of thinking. The pathologically cheap are often logic challenged. The Insight tends to appeal to such people, that is why I have often spoken of Insight owners as “special”

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, my windows are tinted and i leave the window open to let the hot air out for 5 mins. i found out one way to cool off when stopped which seems stupid but works the car idles at 900 rpm so i push the gas and take it too 1,200 rpm and it starts cooling as if i was driving. I guess the lack of cooling is due to the low idle ive even had times where i turn the A/C on and the engine literally is about to stall cause it idles so low the a/c clicking on drops the rpm to like 400-

·
Administrator
10,606 Posts
Don't forget the pollen filter being bunged up. Most G1 Insights I have seen over here have never had them changed because the first change involves cutting the plastic bar under the glove box.. A real giveaway that it hasn't been done by your reliable Honda dealer..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
16 Participants
Ali2627
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing