Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Been driving my 2000 5-speed flawlessly since I bought it used in spring of 04. Four days ago as I motored in the morning Florida heat my A/C stopped putting out COLD, fan, and displays appeared normal. I was at highway speed so I continued to my destination (5 miles away). When the A/C quit I scanned the other instruments and saw nothing amiss. Well as I slowed for the mile or two of stop and go before I got to my meeting I noticed that the engine temp. had climbed quite high and ultimately illuminated the RED bars at the highest end of the gauge range. I was at my destination so let it set, came out in an hour started it, initially had some cooling A/C and normal engine temp, but within a mile lost the A/C and started to get the temp rise. (Both times I'm almost sure the A/C went first then temp rised (thinking cooling fan(s) being cut out??) Anyway I limped to my Honda dealer, who initially said the Compressor clutch was not engaging, so put on the freon gauges, determined the pressures where TOO high, evacuated the system and put in the correct amount of freon. Worked like a champ, for . . . about 24 hours, then the demon returned. Loss of A/C directly attached to high engine temps. Still seems like a/C goes first then rises temp, but very close in time.

Any ideas?? HELP

Stuck thermostat?? :oops:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Our Saturn had a similar problem where the A/C would go in and out while driving slow followed by high engine temps. It turned out to be the cooling fan. When your not moving much, the fan needs to run to pull air through the radiator as well as the A/C condensor. The pressure in the A/C system might get too high because it's getting too hot (due to a bad fan). If your dealer checked the system when it was overheating, then they saw high pressure due to heat. If the temps and A/C work when your on the highway, then I'd bet it's the fan. Next time it happens, pull over and pop the hood. Check to see if the fan's running...fyi, it will continue to run in auto-stop as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Doug - my Insight is at the dealer right now, so I can't run out and take a look. If memory serves, you have two fans - one for engine cooling, and one for the A/C. I think the condenser fan runs constantly when the A/C is on. If the condenser fan isn't running, you'll get high head pressure in the system. You'd have to be moving down the road at a pretty good clip to keep enough air moving over that small condenser for the A/C to work. IF that is the problem, I'm surprised the dealer didn't pick up on it right away. Well, maybe not....

If you're getting high coolant temp - that sounds like the radiator fan isn't running. Good luck

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Until you get it fixed for sure I'd advise extreme caution when driving. If the temperature gauge goes any higher than normal (6 bars) I'd advise getting off the road immediately and shutting the car off. Granted it's "supposed" to be ok until you hit the red, but you could potentially cause some severe engine damage by overheating it. I really don't want to see you comming back here saying you blew a head gasket.

So first things first, check to see if you even have coolant in the resivor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It sounds to me like the water pump and a/c compressor belt may be slipping. I've never looked at mine closely but from your symptoms it sounds like there may be a problem there.

Have you looked at the belt? It may only slip at higher rpm's while under a load. That's the first thing I'd look at.

If it only happens in traffic I'd agree the electric fan's not working but if it occurs at speed there should be sufficient air flow to cool everything. I have seen where plastic bags have blocked air flow and caused this type of problem, when ever I have to pass one drifting on the road I always look for it in my mirror to make sure I'm safe.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Shot in the dark

Shot in the dark was what the dealer did. The head pressure is too high from the fans likely not working. Tech kinda missed the fans not working?? Now that the "overcharged" condition was 'adjusted', when you find the real culprit the AC will be very mediocre. Yeah, that's the ticket, someone snuck into your garage and added freon to your AC. :roll:

Sounds like a cooling fan problem, likely a temp switch or a relay / fuse / motor for the fan(s). Especially since it seems to hit it in traffic, with low or no air flow over the car. Definately will cause BAD engine damage. I always hated working on a fried engine, man, that burnt up smell thru most of the project. Yech.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Gang,

Want to thank everyone for their feedback, and ideas. Well after a day of erratic temp fluctuations and the appearance that in fact the overheating may have come before the A/C drop out, I pulled the thermastat, inspected it and it LOOKED fine. No corrosion of debris hanging it up. After finding it would take 3 days for Honda to get a new one, I worked on the tip an A/C mechanic gave me as I inquired about ordering at an auto parts store, he said clip the thermastat so I could use the metal frame with the rubber gasket to reinstall it (providing unrestricted flow) to troubleshoot a cure. Well a cure it was, and I haven't had an overtemp (in fact seems to run right were it did when all was well) and absolutely no recurrance of negative A/C symptoms!!!!

THanks again, and glad I could use you all as a resource. Hope my feedback will help another some day.

Thanx Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts