Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

Been driving my 2000 5-speed flawlessly since I bought it used in spring of 04. Four days ago as I motored in the morning Florida heat my A/C stopped putting out COLD, fan, and displays appeared normal. I was at highway speed so I continued to my destination (5 miles away). When the A/C quit I scanned the other instruments and saw nothing amiss. Well as I slowed for the mile or two of stop and go before I got to my meeting I noticed that the engine temp. had climbed quite high and ultimately illuminated the RED bars at the highest end of the gauge range. I was at my destination so let it set, came out in an hour started it, initially had some cooling A/C and normal engine temp, but within a mile lost the A/C and started to get the temp rise. (Both times I'm almost sure the A/C went first then temp rised (thinking cooling fan(s) being cut out??) Anyway I limped to my Honda dealer, who initially said the Compressor clutch was not engaging, so put on the freon gauges, determined the pressures where TOO high, evacuated the system and put in the correct amount of freon. Worked like a champ, for . . . about 24 hours, then the demon returned. Loss of A/C directly attached to high engine temps. Still seems like a/C goes first then rises temp, but very close in time.

Any ideas?? HELP

Stuck thermostat?? :oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Gang,

Want to thank everyone for their feedback, and ideas. Well after a day of erratic temp fluctuations and the appearance that in fact the overheating may have come before the A/C drop out, I pulled the thermastat, inspected it and it LOOKED fine. No corrosion of debris hanging it up. After finding it would take 3 days for Honda to get a new one, I worked on the tip an A/C mechanic gave me as I inquired about ordering at an auto parts store, he said clip the thermastat so I could use the metal frame with the rubber gasket to reinstall it (providing unrestricted flow) to troubleshoot a cure. Well a cure it was, and I haven't had an overtemp (in fact seems to run right were it did when all was well) and absolutely no recurrance of negative A/C symptoms!!!!

THanks again, and glad I could use you all as a resource. Hope my feedback will help another some day.

Thanx Doug

1 - 2 of 2 Posts