Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So over the weekend I had a chance to check on things that might be lowering my MPG. And today I got the data back.

My MPG has increased from about 48 to now 57. Although I was trying harder than normal. But the car goes into lean burn a lot easier and wants to stay there now.

Here is what I fixed.

-Rear brake slight drag on left side. Re-centered shoes and re-adjusted the star wheel for no drag. Right side was already drag free.

-Rear wheels had oxidized which gave the wheels a bad run out (side to side shimmy) while you watched them rotate. Cleaned and are now almost perfect to the eye.

-put a bottle of gumout regane complete fuel system cleaner that says for 21 gal in about 7 gal of gas.

Also I just fixed my EVAP but my MPG does not include that yet. The purge solenoid (next to the air filter) was rusted on the inside valve and would not open for vacuum flow. I took it apart (bent the four prongs) and cleaned it. Works great now. I suspect my MPG will now go up a few points due to reclaiming the "free" fuel vapors.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Can you elaborate on how you cleaned the oxidized bearing?
I read that as oxidation between the wheel and the hub, causing the wheel to be uneven.

Pretty old thread -- maybe they'll clarify and maybe not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thats correct TX-WA,

The hub mounting area on the backside of my wheels had corroded pretty bad. To the point that the wheels wobbled if you spun them by hand. I also remember some of the corrosion had to be removed from the brake drum surface, where the wheel hub mates. Although this wasn't as bad as the backside of the wheels.

I used a flat head screw driver to stab and pick off the high areas of corrosion. I put the wheel back on and it still wobbled. So I took it off and picked off more. Then it finally spun true.

I think it's just the fact that I live in one of the States where cars rust easily from the salt on the winter roads, the humidity in the summer, and the condensation during cool nights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts